Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to the summit in July? Anyone been and can tell me how it is?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
If you have never been to that part of the country and want to hangout with other FJ enthusiast's then the Summit is the place to be. While most of the trails are not challenging they are very scenic. The first year we went we signed up for a trail ride everyday. The second time we went we signed up for trails on that Thurs and Fri and left Saturday open to go explore other areas and hike. I recommend not trying to cram everything into the trip because you will be exhausted, but pick the top 5 things you want to do most and enjoy socializing with the other owners. Wednesday night is a meet -n-greet with several different things going on in the town of Ouray. Thursday through Saturday is trail rides and there is always a huge raffle on that Friday or Saturday night.

We are still about 50/50 in going this year. If we do there is already a caravan planned with the FJ Bruisers going out and coming back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been the last 3 years and all I can say is, I plan my year around it. Lots of good people, vendors (old and new) family fun, many MANY adventures to take, and the locations is out of this world.

I hope to see you there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just registered last week and I'm headed that way. Not sure if I'm ready for those trails or not...the videos i've seen are pretty scary looking. May be different after I get out there. Whick way is the caravan headed Stacey?

Thanks for the replys

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Coming form Cedarburg Wisconsin. Long a__ haul, but I'm sure it will be interesting. Thinking about getting there on the 19th in place of the 20th to have a day of rest? Nothing worse than driving 22 hours, so you can drive some more!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Last year was my first trip to both the Summit and Moab! I tell you I had a BLAST! Moab was my first trip "rock crawling" and I was amazed at what a stock FJ can do. Because of the Summit always starting on Wednesday and I'm off on Fri/Sat/Sun I took advantage of going out early. I would suggest if you are able to go to Moab either before or after do it! I have posted up in the Summit section about my experience at the Summit. If your a newbe or have never been to the Summit you will be pleased with the experience! The Summit staff/volunteers do an awesome job of hosting the event, I was really surprised how much the Summit gave to the local community, (really gives you a good feeling being a part of that!). If your not familiar with Ouray it is called the "Little Switzerland of America" and for good reason. It is also the the ice climbing capital of the US (during the winter of course). The folks you meet are worth the trip alone. Coming from Houston is a pretty good drive in itself, all told I drove 3131 miles in 10 days and the trip back was 22 hours straight. I left Ouray at 7:30AM after the group photo and pulled into my driveway at 5:30AM. Having a convoy to run with helps, I went up solo and convoyed back with 3 other trucks.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Well I just registered last week and I'm headed that way. Not sure if I'm ready for those trails or not...the videos i've seen are pretty scary looking. May be different after I get out there. Which way is the caravan headed Stacey?

Thanks for the replys
Out I-70.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Ouray is a nice town, they treat us well.

Do the volunteer stuff on the first day, it is rewarding. Black Bear is a must do, ya you will hear stories, but isn't that bad. Get back in town for the afternoon classes, nice stuff.

Get on my crew for the Imogene/Ophir run, we'll have a nice day. Been doing that trail for over 20 years. I will show you a nice time.

Can you spare a full day? Go to Durango and ride the train, just a nice relaxing thing.

BHL

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
where do you register for the summit at ? also, smokey mountain cruisers, im in chattanooga and looking for a yota club to join, any info on how to get on with yall ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those that have been could you share with us some "must have mods" or even things you would do differently to your rigs next time, ie comms, fuel capacity, lodging, etc.
I wanted to go last year but the military still had its claws in me. We'll see how this July turns out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't know if this thread still gets any action. I am Leaving ATL on the 16th. Heading through Chatt and Nash on the way to I-70, to get to Moab sometime on the 18th. Wheel Moab on the 19th and then on to Ouray. Looking for Caravan potential, if possible.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Don't know if this thread still gets any action. I am Leaving ATL on the 16th. Heading through Chatt and Nash on the way to I-70, to get to Moab sometime on the 18th. Wheel Moab on the 19th and then on to Ouray. Looking for Caravan potential, if possible.
Stop by Coal Creek on Saturday or Sunday! Just a little offroad detour :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts