Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have purchased a new Voodoo blue FJ :clap: I take delivery in 2 weeks.

I'm going to have ARB fit a 2" OME lift kit. I'm not too sure on what tyre size I can legally run?? I'm lead to belive that 50mm is the maximum lift legally allowed in NSW all up, including tyres, body lift & suspension...

Does anyone know the hard fast facts relating to legallities of raising your rig in NSW?

I'm thinking of just sticking with the OEM size 265/70/17...in a Mickey T MTZ. Although I would like to stick the 285's under it!!! But that would take the overall lift to 64mm "illegal":flame:

Also waiting for the ARB bar, they say there is no stock yet. But they do have a P/N and price...

Very excited and can't wait!!! Would love to see some more picks of Aussie FJ's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm hoping I can get away with running 285/70/17s on M/T Side biters with stock suspension... If not, might have to do the body mount chop...

Interested to hear what everyone else is doing regarding suspension/wheels/tyres.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will be getting my dealer to change the tyres to:
BFG AT 275/70/70.
or
MickeyThompson ATZ 265/70/70. (4Rib or 5Rib)

They said they would swap them for approx ~$800
Would a Tyre shop be better?

And I am hoping I dont need to do any mods to fit the BFG's.

But in the Future plan on doing a Lift and a seperate set of tyres with new Rims and get MTZ or KM2's

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi. I bought my FJ and put the BFG KM2's on it. Very happy with the performance and look of the truck. They are the 265/70/17 (standard size). I thought about bigger also but all things considerd, they are one size larger than the Prado anyway and your fuel economy is going to be worse the more rubber you push around. I am also going OME 2" lift and I like seeing some height in the guard and the tyre rather than ballooning it out with all tyre. So far, very impressed with the car.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi All,

I'm going to have ARB fit a 2" OME lift kit. I'm not too sure on what tyre size I can legally run?? I'm lead to belive that 50mm is the maximum lift legally allowed in NSW all up, including tyres, body lift & suspension...

Does anyone know the hard fast facts relating to legallities of raising your rig in NSW?
Can't say for NSW but I think this is going to be the same for most, if not all states. Here in SA the laws look like the same as per this link:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs...r_Lowering_or_Raising_Vehicle_Ride_Height.PDF

Basically a maximum 50mm regardless of how it is achieved, so a 2" lift kit = 50.8mm (roughly) so you will need to maintain the rolling circumference of your original wheels... only way I believe to do that and get wider rubber is changing the rim diameter (16" and get bigger side walls I guess?).

PS.
I do hope this link is not in breach of the rules for linking (can't see how this one would be) but if it is and a moderator lets me know I will remove it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be getting my dealer to change the tyres to:
BFG AT 275/70/70.
or
MickeyThompson ATZ 265/70/70. (4Rib or 5Rib)

They said they would swap them for approx ~$800
Would a Tyre shop be better?

And I am hoping I dont need to do any mods to fit the BFG's.

But in the Future plan on doing a Lift and a seperate set of tyres with new Rims and get MTZ or KM2's
Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib are an excellent tyre. I have them currently on my Navara D40. Have been excellent on road...minimal noise, great handling dry or wet. Good off road, but not very effective in mud (A/T). Had em for 70000 K's now and approx 40% left.

Going with the MTZ for better traction in the mud.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Cooper AT3 does not look any more aggressive than the standard tyres ? Why would you swap them over ? If you want to go AT and not MT the BFG ATKO should be on your list for consideration.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Cooper AT3 does not look any more aggressive than the standard tyres ? Why would you swap them over ? If you want to go AT and not MT the BFG ATKO should be on your list for consideration.
Got the price to change over - too much - so think I'll stick with the factory tyre and wait until they wear out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pretty tough to track down a set at the moment from what I understand...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put 285/70R17 cooper st's on my stock suspension. $1450 change over for my original tires with 2500k's. They look fantastic. Slight hum on road. They just rub on the mud flap sometimes (depends on articulation) doesn't worry me enough to do anything about it for now, the rubber is soft on the mud flap and it clears the body mount behind it no worries. I'm sold on the coopers from previous experience and the guy at tyre power reckons these will be good for 100000 ks doing a 5 wheel rotation.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So I am pretty new to this, does the extra 20mm width over standard make a difference either on or off the road? I understand with on road only doing the bigger rim size and less sidewall to make handling better, and I understand a bigger sidewall will make for some off road improvement but why not just go with standard size tires in the LT construction?
Apologies if this is a dumb question...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just put 285/70R17 cooper st's on my stock suspension.
Does this extra diameter render your truck illegal in WA?

I understand that in NSW if you increase the overall tyre & wheel diameter by more than 15mm above the largest tyre & wheel combo size listed on the tyre placard this is considered unroadworhty....:flame::flame:

A 265/70R17 measures at 802.64mm and 285's come in at 830.58mm. This is an increase of 27.94mm. Then throw in a 50mm suspension lift and you run into the next rule, all raised vehicles must not exceed 51mm overall lift. This includes tyre, wheel, suspension & body lifts in total. Double CRAP!!!

I have also read that these rules are being adopted Australia wide (can anyone confirm??) Which means any suspension lift is to maintain std size tyres, or an engineers certificate to make it legal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have also read that these rules are being adopted Australia wide (can anyone confirm??) Which means any suspension lift is to maintain std size tyres, or an engineers certificate to make it legal.
This would (with 50mm lift) make it illegal in SA (see my other post) and I have also heard it applies (but cannot confirm it) nationally.

I have done some research and while not common or popular it seems there are 285/65/17 tyres out there (Yokies and Bridgestone) but they are expensive (relatively speaking for what they are) and limited types anyway (no M/T's etc). This would keep the overall rolling diameter about the same as stock (as close as anyway) but you don't gain extra sidewall depth over stock which may not be suitable for some people's purposes off-road from what I understand?

The question is also while technically illegal would any inspectors etc. when driving on the road notice the few extra mm's?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm only worried about keeping it legal for insurance purposes, i'd rather not ruin my truck and have them turn around and refuse payment.

If they find a hole they will take it! Then your left with a towing bill and a big hunk of expensive scrap...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm fairly sure that these rules arent in place nationally yet. I plan on getting the 2 inch OME lift too but might check it out first to make sure I don't run into any dramas. Fairly nonsense to not be able to run 33's and a 2 inch lift though. I wonder how I will go when I take FJ interstate. Can I do it legally if it's allowed in WA and registered here but I take it to NSW for instance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all i considering putting a set of 17 x 9 Micky T wheels with with a negative 12 ofset with a 285 x 70 x 17 on to a stock set up are there any contact issues?:thinkerg:

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should be ok with a negative offset I'd imagine, assuming all 285/70R17 tyres have the same outside diameter. Mine have an OD of 833mm and only just rub so the offset should prevent that.

I also had a little dabble in the world of tyre and lift legalities and it seems WA has adopted the national standards in this area (bad news for west Aussies) however in regard to suspension lifts and tyres there seems to be a different set of rules for 4x4s to "passenger cars" that are a little more flexible. My interpretation was that a 285/70R17 is legal on my FJ. However I got too bored before finding out weather a 50mm lift was legal in conjunction with the bigger tyres. I think I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts