Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is aimed at determining the largest size of tire to use for each lift that require no body mount chop or rubbing because this question gets asked frequently. This clarification is necessary as per Couver's suggestion and to avoid any confusion. I have also starting adding each person's response to this thread onto the updated attached spreadsheets, so if you go to a particular size and you see a small red triangle in the corner, you can put the cursor on it and get the details of who posted the info and any additional comments.

I am hoping that this thread will become a resource for new FJ owners who are wondering about tire fit on their rigs. If you would like to participate, please answer the following questions:

1. Amount IN INCHES of lift on your FJ (Front and back please);
2. Type of spacer or suspension lift (for the record)
3. Tire brand name and size, metric please (e.g. 285/70R16)
4. If available, rim offset in millimiters (e.g. +10)-should be available from rim manufacturer
5. Body mount chop (Yes/No)
6. Rubbing on inside of wheel well (Yes/No)
7. (Optional): comments (please keep brief).

I will start with my own setup:

1. 2.5" front, 2.0" rear;
2. Sway-away front coilover and rear shocks
3. Procomp 285/70R17
4. +10mm (Gear Alloy, MB717).
5. No
6. No [Yes-see UPDATE below]
7. Wonderful suspension setup, looks good, works great!

UPDATE (07/22/08): Added 1.25" Spidertrax spacers a week ago and the outside edge of the front driver tire started rubbing on the body mount. It seems from my direct experience with this that "excessive" offset created by your rim and/or the addition of spacers to your wheels will increase the arc of the wheel's turning radius and cause the tires to rub on the body mount.

TABLE Zip file:
Last Update: 06/19/08

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reserved for possible future post.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
1. Front 2.5"/Rear 2"
2. Light Racing Front Coilover/Rear Toytec/OME
3. 285/70/17 GY MTR's
4. No offset
5. No bodymount chop
6. No rubbing
7. Dramatic improvement over stock ride

Komombo you should post your tire brand along with the size. Diameters may differ.

Cheers and good idea!

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you should add to the one I started; you can download the excel file here...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/18653-table-tires-wheels-lifts.html
You must be kidding me? Why was this not made into a sticky? I actually searched to see if this was done before, but you know how it goes with the search utility on this forum, it's like applying for a job, you never know what you're gonna get.

Thanks a lot for the info, I will for sure use it. I will also try to restructure it so it reads differently and make myself believe I'm doing something "novel". I am very good at fooling myself this way :thinkerg:.
Cheers man, and thanks for your mega-contribution :).

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here's my setup,

1. 2-1/2" Front, 2" Rear
2. Donahoe Racing Coilovers Front, DR Springs and Shocks Rear
3. 285/70/17 Cooper STT
4. Stock Alloys
5. NO Body mount chop
6. NO Rubbing on inside of wheel well
7. Love the setup

·
Registered
456 Posts
You must be kidding me? Why was this not made into a sticky? I actually searched to see if this was done before, but you know how it goes with the search utility on this forum, it's like applying for a job, you never know what you're gonna get.

Thanks a lot for the info, I will for sure use it. I will also try to restructure it so it reads differently and make myself believe I'm doing something "novel". I am very good at fooling myself this way :thinkerg:.
Cheers man, and thanks for your mega-contribution :).
Actually, I stopped updating mine long ago (it is quite a lot of work to ferret out all of the information), so if you are willing to update, add to it, improve it, I think that would be a great help to others, even if not entirely unique. In fact, I am sending you some "advance" rep, because I know you are going to make a good job of it!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my setup,

1. 2-1/2" Front, 2" Rear
2. Donahoe Racing Coilovers Front, DR Springs and Shocks Rear
3. 285/70/17 Cooper STT
4. Stock Alloys
5. NO Body mount chop
6. NO Rubbing on inside of wheel well
7. Love the setup
Sweet man, thanks for the contrib!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I stopped updating mine long ago (it is quite a lot of work to ferret out all of the information), so if you are willing to update, add to it, improve it, I think that would be a great help to others, even if not entirely unique. In fact, I am sending you some "advance" rep, because I know you are going to make a good job of it!
Now that you said this, I will make it extra special, and I will also make sure to credit you for all the work you have already done. I gave you a rep already for the work!
Thanks Couver!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to rebuilding the selection tables into a format that I hope is helpful. Please see attached Excel table in my first post in this thread.

Now that I have done all this work, I would like to get everyone's feedback. I will keep bumping this thread until I get tired of it, or get banned, or asked to stop, whichever comes first!

Thank you Brazenfj, and AZ_FJ for already posting your specs. And Couver, you get a particulary big thanks you for your awesome list, without which I don't think I could have started with this "ambition".
Kal.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
3" front/ 2" rear
OME lift- medium/medium
305/65R17
17"X9" with 4.75" backspace and -11 offset ProComp 7105
Body mount is chopped
Will rub on front inner fenders, but what wheel/tire combo wont? Even the stock ones do...
Pics:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3" front/ 2" rear
OME lift- medium/medium
305/65R17
17"X9" with 4.75" backspace and -11 offset ProComp 7105
Body mount is chopped
Will rub on front inner fenders, but what wheel/tire combo wont? Even the stock ones do...
Pics:
Thanks for the data, much appreciated. Loved looking at the photos of your rigs. Wheels/tires look great, and whole rig looks very sweet. Good job man!

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Not very exciting, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

1. 2" front spacer lift
2. Ready-Lift
3. 255-75-R17
4. 0
5. No
6. No
7. BFG MT's

·
Registered
686 Posts
1. 3" Lift
2. Donahoe Racing shocks, coils and UCAs
3. Toyo Open Country MT 295/70/17
4. Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 17x9 Rim Offset -12mm; -4.5" backspace. Part Number: 479412
5. Body Chop definately needed
6. There was rubbing on both sides before chop
7. The Toyos are awesome as well as the Mickey Classic Locks. Very happy with them. The Classic Locks come close to the brake calipers in front, but they clear just fine

Here are some pics:

Good of you for doing this :)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
1. 3"
2. Skyjacker
3. 285/70R17 Hankkok DynaPro MT's
4. 0 - I think (I'm running OEM Stelies, no spacers)
5. No
6. Yes (only on the mud flaps - which I removed - No rub at full flex now)
7. 3" lift w/ 285/70R17's usually = no rub

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy shayt! This thread is taking a life of its own. I did not think anyone was interested in posting, but look at you guys, you're coming through!

OK, I will start compiling as soon as I return from Sedonafest, I promise. I encouraged by the response. I think eventually we'll have a maximun tire size table that people can rely on to select tires that do not require body mount nipple reduction surgery or produce rubbing in the wheel wells.

Thanks to you all for posting, I know this is not very exciting work, but I am sure a lot of newbies (remember when you were a one?) will thank us for it!

FJer's you rock!

·
Registered
113 Posts
OME 885 Front 1 1/2" daystar spacer rear When the ice melts in my driveway I'm installing OME 895's in the rear
285/70/17 Hankook MT RT03
No Chop
No Rub
Stock Alloy's

1 - 20 of 92 Posts