Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched a little but all I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for....

I have an Acura Integra that is getting painted in mid-January and I need to get it to the paint shop (Roughly 30-40 miles away). Now when I had a 94 Toyota Pickup I was told no way in hell to tow a car. Does this also go for the FJ? I will tow it either with a flat bed or a dolly, but just need to make sure the FJ has the potential towing capability for a car. If not I'll just try to get my Dad's Dodge Ram. =/ Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No problem with towing at all. Dolly or flatbed is fine. I tow stuff a lot heavier than that without issue. Just make sure you keep the trans in 4 and not in D. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm fairly certain that your Acura is more aerodynamically designed than my FJ40.

I towed the 40 about 3.5 hrs to go wheeling. It did fine. The only issue I had was on the way there it was windy as hell. It was pushing me around a bit. Kinda felt like the tail wagging the dog. But 3 days later, on the way home, it was smooth sailing with little to no wind. The MPG's sucked however...... :(

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
With A factory FJ you can tow right at 5000 lbs. If its lifted or Modifed that of course will take away from that.. but just guessing I wouldnt think your car and trailer would weight more than 4000lbs combined. Just to be safe though Look in the door of the car and gett the gross Vehicle weight, and get the Gross wieght of the trailer... Add together and you will have your answer! If its equal to or under 5000.. your good to go

·
Registered
18 Posts
My only concern would be brakes but the dolly or flatbed should have those so you shouldn't have a problem. My boat and trailer weigh about 4000 lbs. and I've made several 600 mile round trips towing with my FJ. It did take my gas mileage from 19 to 12 mpg though.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Did it a few weeks ago. My 4Runner and the heavy Uhaul trailer definitely weigh more than your integra set up. The FJ handled it perfectly and stopped without any real issues. My FJ's set up with a spacer lift in the front and no updated upper control arms matched with my 33X12.50 tires pulls in ruts on the freeway already, that was dramatically increased with the trailer. Beware if you have a lift.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I had a 16' steel car hauler flatbed and it weighed about 1200 lbs. An Integra probably comes in well under 3800. Sorry if you already know this but if your trailer has electric brakes you'll need to install a controller and 7-pin connector in back.

If you're renting a U-Haul or something like that, they usually come with hydraulic brakes so you'll be fine with the 4-pin that comes with the tow package.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
With A factory FJ you can tow right at 5000 lbs. If its lifted or Modifed that of course will take away from that
Sorry to jump in here but, why is this? Are you just talking about subtracting the extra weight of the mods or is there something else about lifting and/or modding that affects how much the FJ can tow?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Sorry to jump in here but, why is this? Are you just talking about subtracting the extra weight of the mods or is there something else about lifting and/or modding that affects how much the FJ can tow?
My understanding is that tow ratings are not solely the capability of the powertrain. The engine can probably handle the full 5000 when the vehicle is lifted but the 5000 lb rating is the maximum that Toyota will admit is SAFE to be towed. I was over the tow rating no doubt and the truck had no trouble pulling the load, but I can definitely see why it is not suggested. The trailer had its way with the FJ a few more time than I would prefer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ya,

A couple of years ago I towed a car from New Mexico to Oklahoma, thru the mountains it was somewhat tough, but all good.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Tow rating can be based on lots of things and I don't think the powertrain is the most important limitation most of the time.

It sounds like maybe the FJ can handle more than 5K from a few of the posts but keep in mind that can be dangerous in a couple ways. First, maybe there really is a good reason for the limitation that isn't obvious at first. Second, if you get in an accident while obviously overloaded, you can probably expect to be sued and your insurance may be able to deny your coverage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to tow my race car to tracks in previous trucks, tundra access and tundra quad cab, both v8's. General rule of thumb is to tow at no more than 75% of your max tow rating. Those Uhaul trailers are very heavy, approx 2500lbs. Safety is figured in wheelbase length of tow vehicle, braking capability, engine power, and powertrain strength. My only concern with the FJ towing near or over the limit would be the lack of a transmission oil cooler, especially over steeper grades on mountain passes. Also the shorter wheelbase will reduce stability at higher speeds or windy conditions (besides the high side profile).

I'm also wondering what the effect of lift kits that even the ride height from front to rear would do to tow stability since my tundra's and the stock FJ sit with the front end lower than the rear for stability.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
ok

so you have to keep it on 4 and not in drive?

even on the highway cruising at 65?

never towed just wondering
For moderate to heavy loads, yes, keep it in 4. In drive, the transmission will be forced to constantly shift gears to manage the heavy load and can cause the transmission to over heat. In most other vehicles, you would just turn the overdrive off instead.

Another major factor to consider in a tow vehicle than those mentioned above, is tow vehicle weight.
Something like the Dodge Ram 3500 quad cab weighs around 7700lbs, compared to the relatively light ~4400lbs FJC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts