Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Team Tail Special Edition and I was wondering if anyone had any input in regards to its towing capabilities. I have 19 ft Mastercraft boat that probably weights 3500 lbs. I know the FJ can tow up to 6500 lbs but how well does it tow?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The official towing capacity of the FJ is 5000lbs, not 6500. A good aftermarket suspension would allow you to push that number a bit though. Toyota is known to under-rate towing capacity a little, probably for safety/liability issues.

In most cases (generically speaking here), you don't want to get too close to max capacity anyway, but leave room for a margin of error and safety.

Your 3500lb boat should tow just fine, even with say another 1000lb of gear stowed for the trip. As long as you follow all the normal towing procedures such as tongue weight within limits, gross combined weight within limits, having the trailer within a couple of inches of level, proper tire inflation, etc., you should have no problems.

The FJ comes with a tranny cooler (good for most situations), however, if you are towing anything above 3000lb, I would definitely recommend electric brakes and a brake controller.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!!!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You can tow a Mastercraft. Find out the trailer weight as well. I believe the trailer for the X-2 weighs about 1000. So i figure the rest are close. That would be about 4500 (make sure you aren't driving around with ballast tanks or fat sacs in the boat). The more weight you have in the FJ the less you can tow with. So i would be weary of 5 large people in the FJ, gear, and a 4500lb trailer.

If you got a 19ft i am guessing you have a closed bow prostar 190 or something like that. Not a wakeboarding boat, but tiny wakes for skiing.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
you'll be fine with the boat, you won't be going to fast though, but you'll make it there and back. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
The FJ comes with a tranny cooler (good for most situations), however, if you are towing anything above 3000lb, I would definitely recommend electric brakes and a brake controller.
The FJ comes with a transmission cooler?

That surprises me, because the V6 4Runner does not (not even with the "tow package"). Toyota claims it doesn't need it for anything 5000 lbs and less. Toyota does not even offer a cooler as an add on option.

It must be the difference in the auto transmissions.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I tow a ProStar 205 without any problems. Just remember that the FJ is a fairly short wheelbase vehicle so it's not as stable as a full-size pickup. Pay attention while you're driving and keep the trailer brakes adjusted. You may also find your headlights are pointed a bit high with the boat attached. Otherwise everything works well except for gas prices.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am looking to buy a Team Tail Special Edition and I was wondering if anyone had any input in regards to its towing capabilities. I have 19 ft Mastercraft boat that probably weights 3500 lbs. I know the FJ can tow up to 6500 lbs but how well does it tow?

I tow a 17' Four Winns. Same weight. With trailer and gear, it's around 4300. It pulls ok. Like others said, you will get where your going. The issue is wheel base. The FJ can get a little squirley at times if your not paying attention during braking situations. Just anticipate upcoming hills and watch the need for sudden stops and you will be fine.

Oh, the FJ does not come with a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oh, the FJ does not come with a tranny cooler.
Actually it does have a built in transmission oil cooler, at least on the autos...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/471102-post10.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/915665-post3.html

This isn't to say that you shouldn't think about an additional one if you are doing a lot of towing in extreme conditions, which is why I said "good for most situations". There are a lot of people who tow boats and small RVs with their FJs, and I have yet to see a single post or complaint or issue with overheating or tranny issues because of it.

If you or anyone else can find anything on anyone actually having problems, please post it for the rest of us.

The FJ comes with a transmission cooler?

That surprises me, because the V6 4Runner does not (not even with the "tow package"). Toyota claims it doesn't need it for anything 5000 lbs and less. Toyota does not even offer a cooler as an add on option.

It must be the difference in the auto transmissions.
I'm sure the reason is because of the 'light' cooler already built in... and it may very well only be on the ATs.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thought I'd chime in even though i dont own a boat. I do haul my 14'x7' charmac trailer with tools, race gas and 2 -450 lb quads total weight about 3500lbs. I installed trailer brakes with a control.

when i towed with my stock fj it really brought down the rear and pointed my light up into outer space,probably caused some global warming reflecting off the ozone.

after i added my ICON VD 3" stage 2 it helped alot but not quite enough, i like towing perfectly level. i then called Firestone and gave the inner compressed dimensions of the Icon rear springs, which are 2" taller than stock when compressed. They found an airride bag that would work ( 10" ) after installing them I now tow totally level.

my next towing mod will be Hd oversized calipers and discs to assist in stopping.

good luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I added an aftermarket transmission cooler and an airlift system.

Details are in my build thread.

I would recommend both of these if you will be towing things for extended periods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I pull a 15" Quachita Bass boat with a 65 HP Mercury on the back. Boat is 2300# of fiberglass and the motor another 500# of metal at least. Tongue weight almost nothing cause I have it balanced. It is easy to trailer and I watch it on the road because if my tires are not pressured exactly the same it will sway a bit. Other than that, it pulls fine and no heat problems at all. Go for it!

·
Registered
245 Posts
The FJ Cruiser is only rated at 4,700lb tow capacity due to the revised rating standards. The newer FJ brochures state this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.