Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at FJ's for some time now, and it is about time to purchase one. I have a few questions first to make sure this will work for me. I want one more than any other vehicle, if it will do what I need.

I currently have a 2004 extended cab Tacoma as a trail rig and daily driver. It is time to make it my dedicated trail rig. So I need to find something that I can drive every day, and tow the Tacoma around with. It would also be ideal if the new vehicle could double as a trail rig, that is why I am leaning towards an FJ.

With all that being said. Would an FJ work as a Tow Rig for my Tacoma? I know that I would probably need to beef up the rear springs. I would be towing the taco to Colorado this summer, and anywhere else I might wheel. I am concerned about power, suspension, and handeling. I guess all around capability.

Please let me know your opinions, and thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. Currently I have a set of 33" tires, sliders, skids, and will be adding bumpers and a winch. So would be pushing it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can do it with a light trailer i bet. 5k is your limit. The FJ can handle towing at the limit just fine. You will need brakes on the trailer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want to tow 5k with a cruiser. Sure, it may be rated for that much, but it will probably be a struggle. If it was me, I'd rather get tow rig that is rated well over what I know I will be towing regularly, particularly if it is over any sizable distance It's just not worth the risk to max out your tow rating. At least that's how I feel. Maybe the Tundra is better choice for your application.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been towing my track car and heavy steel trailer. ~4600 or so. Drives very straight. Plenty of power, no issues. Use trailer brakes and equalizer hitch helps wonders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Looks like I better go with something bigger. I don't want to chance it. This load will be over the 5000 lb limit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts