Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a good friend of mine owned a Hummer dealership. While they clearly don't sell Hummers anymore they do still have a small test track.

Here are a few photos of the FJ and his H1 on the course. The FJ proved worthy. It handled every H2 obstacle, as well as, half of the H1 side.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Cool. I can see why you wouldn't be able to make it over the ground clearance obstacle or the big step . . . might need to stack a few rocks on that one. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Very cool. I went off the road in two feet of snow like 100's of other cars one stormy winter and the H1 is simply amazing!! The national guard pulled me out with no effort and went on down the road like it was a summer day. Very impressive vehicle if I ever win the lotto It will be my daily driver..
________
PrettyPusa

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. I can see why you wouldn't be able to make it over the ground clearance obstacle or the big step . . . might need to stack a few rocks on that one. :lol:
If I had skids I would have tried harder, but this track is in Lubbock Tx and I had to drive back to Oklahoma City. I'm pretty sure a 6" lift would have cleared all the H1 stuff. The Factory locker and the A-TRac on the FJ did out preform the H1 on the rollers.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Very Cool! I would trade my FJ for the H1...I spent alot of time in the drivers seat in the Army and had plenty of places to test it out in Ft. Stewart and Europe. It may not be to practical for a daily driver but as a dedicated trail rig...Ooh Hell Yeah! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Very Cool! I would trade my FJ for the H1...I spent alot of time in the drivers seat in the Army and had plenty of places to test it out in Ft. Stewart and Europe. It may not be to practical for a daily driver but as a dedicated trail rig...Ooh Hell Yeah! :rocker:
I wouldn't.

I think H1's are awesomely cool, strong, and terrific at what they were designed for: Troop transport at high rates of speed over difficult terrain.

They weren't designed for crawling and are WAY too wide for 90% of the trails i have been on. Have you seen one of these things trying to articulate on uneven sections of trail?

With that said, if your terrain is mostly wide open, beach, mud, desert, i don't think you could find a better vehicle for those purposes than a H1.

Though, for a daily driver, i'd much rather have an H1 than something like a Ferrari if i had the choice. Way more grin factor :)

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Look at the big gaping space between the H1's wheels.

I wonder how difficult portal axles are to maintain...

I still remember this one episode of David Letterman's show where Agassi said the transmission of his H1 broke for no reason when going uphill.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
They weren't designed for crawling and are WAY too wide for 90% of the trails i have been on.
That's assuming both of you have the same "trails" in mind. Maybe he's not even interested in rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
That's assuming both of you have the same "trails" in mind. Maybe he's not even interested in rock crawling.
Thats why i said "I" and "I think" and "the trails I go on" etc. ;)

And there isn't very much by the way of rock crawling in Florida to my knowledge. (Where FJ6High lives)

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Though, for a daily driver, i'd much rather have an H1 than something like a Ferrari if i had the choice.
Ditto :bigthumb:

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They weren't designed for crawling and are WAY too wide for 90% of the trails i have been on. Have you seen one of these things trying to articulate on uneven sections of trail?
We've taken this one out with the Lone Star Land Cruisers on various runs throughout Texas, and a trip to Moab last year. It did everything and went everywhere the fjcs & 40s did. But I guess it does help when you have access to a paint shop. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
We've taken this one out with the Lone Star Land Cruisers on various runs throughout Texas, and a trip to Moab last year. It did everything and went everywhere the fjcs & 40s did. But I guess it does help when you have access to a paint shop. :lol:
I am not saying it can't make the same kinds of trails that a normal double duty DD/weekend trail rig can handle.

But, as a dedicated trail rig for my uses, i'd want something a lot different.:)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Thats why i said "I" and "I think" and "the trails I go on" etc. ;)

And there isn't very much by the way of rock crawling in Florida to my knowledge. (Where FJ6High lives)
Only real places with any rocks and steep terrain would be the phosphate mines...some like Hard Rock ORV Ocala and a few others you don't want to get caught in or break down in either. Most of the trails I see are deep sugar sand and plenty of mud and water!

I guess what I really like about the H1 is I can stretch out and sleep in the back and have a ton of space for all the gear. There is just a handful of them around here and that makes me like them more.:cheers:

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you seen one of these things trying to articulate on uneven sections of trail?
Not that your photos didn't illustrate the point, but if you wanted to see a comparison on the same obstacle.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
H1'S are so over rated.... There is nothing I dont know or have experienced or the Military H1. They suck in sand, Its service regularly or it will break down, Transmissions are a weak link, It tight turning radious areas your Screwed, Rock Crawling they will High center... Ive got thousands of mile in them and under them... Even used them A shelter... You can have you H1's I will Stick to my FJ!

FJ6High, How yea DOing Partner!! Im Back in the land of sand... keep in touch brother!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Can anyone from the military share real - world experiences regarding maintenance of the Transmission / Portal Axles?

I remember reading this old issue of Popular Mechanics mentioning the transmission as the weak link in the HMMWV's design. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the Unimogs, but then I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The 4L80E trans that the H1(Mil version, Not sure what is Hooked to the back of the Civ version) Uses a Switch on the Brake Bedal to unlock and Lock the Torque converter.. they go bad or need adjusted. The trans has a fail safe that locks it in 2nd if it reaches a certain temp, Mountian regions tend to burn the bands out fast. Seems to slip bad in heavy sand and or deep mud, Most issues Are electrical that I have run into..TISS &TOSS sensors fail alot. I have had brand new Trans out the box striight from the plant.. Not work! Actual service is sorta a pain.. SOme have drains some dont..The way the exhaust and cross member fit, its hard to get the Pan in and out.. But changing the filter once the pan is removed take 2 seconds.. Yes they are correct, the trans is the weak link in the whole truck. Except for the Fuel injector pumps, trans missions are the Most replaced part I have done do to breakage.
The portals if serviced and maintained correctly...No worries.. Only seals will be your issue. The inner CV axle seal is the only one you will every replace... you can do both in under a hour.
The Half shafts are held to the Hub flage by 6 Bolts.. alot of off roading, I suggest you check them regularly as the tend to Loosen.. Lock tight is used alot to prevent this..but will still check them every few thousand miles
The truck its self Is simple to work on repair.. Its just a maintenance hog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts