Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off hello all!

...i'm looking into a new vehicle and the FJ always caught my attention for its unique styling and off road capabilities now the Wrangler (unlimited) does the same but for other reasons; riding topless in the summer and its rugged looks (and its off road capabilities), i'm looking at the FJ Offroad edition and the Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, both will be a 2009

i wanted to see if some of you guys ever had a Wrangler and how it compares to the FJ, reliability wise, the FJ seems to keep its value better but i have no idea how maintenance cost on the FJ...the Wrangler seems cheaper for parts and maintenance compared to the FJ, or if they have major knowed issues

i'm going to use the vehicle as my daily up here in Montreal Canada and i have no issue with gas consumption since i live near work, also the gf and i are planing to have a kid in the next year or so (i found a nice thread regarding the FJ and young kids), plus the vehicle is going to pull some stuff from work from time to time (i work as a welder and plan on fabricating my own staircase railings and other stuff and haul my own firewood), plus some up north riding to the ski hills and in the summer for trekking and mtb riding

i guess the FJ will drive more like a car compared to the Wrangler, i never drove either one of them and it will be the more comfortable one of the 2

any opinion will be appreciated, i'm really torn between the two!
tanx! :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
As a owner of both I highly recommend the FJ over the jeep. If you like the jeep for its obvious seasonal transformational benefits Buy a 2006 and lower unlimited rubicon (05 and 06) two door are the best I6 jeeps ever made!! After 2006 jeep turned to crap! Personally if I was do it all over again I would buy a 2wd 05 go atlas trans conv and d60's for an extra $4000. The FJ is a great vehicle for 4x4 and DD but 4runner 2011 might be a better choice if you don't 4x4 often and use the back seats for kids. my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Personally if I was do it all over again I would buy a 2wd 05 go atlas trans conv and d60's for an extra $4000. \
A 2wd 2005 what?
I didn't think they ever made the TJ in 2wd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FJ All the way!! Better fuel milage, better tow rating, better resale value, Proven Reliablity Also being in Canada the JKs are freezing in the winter becasue of the plastic roof with removable panels with no insulation!!!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I was at the same decision point back in August, this was going to be my everyday commuter. It came down to this for me; Comfort of ride, seats (I have a screwed up back), styling, reliability and how well it held it's value. FJ won all the way. They are both capable off-roaders but since 90% of my drive time will be on a surfaced road I took that into account more.
I know I made the right decision because I want to drive this thing every chance I get, it's still like the first day that I never wanted to steer toward home.

·
Registered
655 Posts
In your specific case: daily driver + family... You'll appreciate the ride comfort of the FJ.

And with all the Olympic pool size pot hole in Montréal, you'll appreciate the 31.6" tires ;-)

Feel free to drop us a line over on FJCruiserQuebec.com

:cheers:

·
Banned
393 Posts
FJ Cruiser has the following advantages over Jeep:

- Safety - FJ Cruiser scores top ranks in front and side crash tests. Jeep Wrangler scores well in front, but poorly in side crash tests. (source: IIHS-HLDI: Crash Testing*&*Highway Safety). Also, the closed cabin and stronger roof makes the FJ much safer in a rollover accident. This by itself is enough reason for me.

- Reliability: FJ Cruiser scores very well in reliability results, Jeep is a mixed bag. (source: "www dot ********* dot com" - for some reason this forum does not like the url)

- Handling / driveability: FJ Cruiser offers much more "civilized" and comfortable ride and handling. While it is very capable off road, street and highway comfort and handling is not worse than an average SUV or pick-up truck. I do not own a Jeep, but I did two test drives, and the ride is "brutal" and handling terrible. It feels extremely unsteady at highway speeds and requires constant corrections to keep it under control. I can drive the FJ for several hours and don't feel tired - driving the Jeep for more than a couple of hours at 70 mph would be a very tiresome and stressful experience. On top of that you have to add wind noise coming from the removable top.

- Comfort - the interior of the FJ is much more practical. The Jeep looks fun, but the cheap, crude interior does not offer the level of comfort / practicality I expect from a daily-use car.

- Towing: FJ can pull 5000 lb, Jeep is limited to 3500 lb. FJ's drivetrain is much stronger and durable than Jeep's (which is based on a "minivan / crossover" engine and transmission).

Net, if you are looking for a fun "toy" for off-road adventures and short weekend rides, and don't mind regular trips to the dealer to fix "this-or-that", the Jeep is a good choice. But if you are looking for a day-in, day-out commuter that is reliable, safe and reasonably comfortable, and on top of that can take you off road to all the fun places where the Jeep can go, then there is no contest - FJ is a clear winner.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
The FJ is a great vehicle for 4x4 and DD but 4runner 2011 might be a better choice if you don't 4x4 often and use the back seats for kids. my 2 cents
I would agree. I love my FJ but if I had to haul around a family, I would get a 4Runner. I think the back seat is useless but it came that way so I had no other choice.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would agree. I love my FJ but if I had to haul around a family, I would get a 4Runner. I think the back seat is useless but it came that way so I had no other choice.
If it were the primary vehicle, I would 100% agree. A carseat (esp the infant car seat) would be a nightmare in the back seats.

However, I have kids and when I take them in my FJ (as opposed to the uber-cool minivan) we’ve never had issues with the back seats. And I really like the fact that they can’t open the doors on their own w/o opening the front doors first.

When we’re driving in the neighborhood (granted, we have a GREAT little neighborhood) I let them sit in the very back. They have a blast back there.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
If it were the primary vehicle, I would 100% agree. A carseat (esp the infant car seat) would be a nightmare in the back seats.
There was one guy here a few months ago that had to get rid of his FJ because he hurt his elbow due to getting his kid out of the car seat:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/123516-sad-days-indeed-had-put-lil-rex-out-pasture.html

But that all being said, I'd rather have kids in an FJ than a Jeep for safety reasons.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
SOoooo...in Summary,

FJ Cruiser: Awesome
4Runner: Awesome if you have kids

Wrangler: well...its just "Ok"

Disclaimer...we are biased :lol:

Doc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ive had an FJ 40, 2 Wranglers, and an FJ cruiser.

One of the Jeeps was OK. The other was a mechanical disaster. They both made terrible gas mileage.

I test drove a Sarah before I bought my FJ. The engine is really weak in the Jeep, it's not as comfortable, not as fuel efficient nor does it feel as well made.

Jeep traditionally hasn't been as reliable either, and I have no doubt my FJ would go every where the sahara would.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I would suggest going to a Jeep forum and ask the same question... I would image your replies would be quite different... Honestly 95% of us love our FJs which is why we are all on here. Use the replies from both forums and as said before... go drive both and see which one meets your needs more. Good luck on your quest. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
477 Posts
What Senor, Hindsight and others said.

The safety is going to be much better in a 2009 FJ than a 2009 Jeep Unlimited. We've had several Wranglers. Wrangler is great off road, adequate on road, 'cool' looking.

BUT as a daily driver safety becomes a big factor to me(you said you were planning on children) Well, the FJ comes with seat mounted side air bags and side curtain air bags and excellent IIHS ratings for side as well as front impact. All you need is for some fool to run a red light and t bone you(I have personal experience) to ruin your day, your gf's day and your baby's life. Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but Jeep 'cool' doesn't translate well in a crash.

We are empty nesters, but if we had little kids I'd get a 4runner with the side & curtain air bag package(Wrangler doesn't offer it) or...go ahead and flame away, if you want something other than a Toyota,an Xterra Off Road with the side & curtain airbag pkg. We had an Xterra, it wasn't as good as the FJ, but it was good for moderate off road and gave us zero problems, was comfortable and fun to drive with plenty of power on the highway(Wy to Pacific Ocean and back fast and comfortable). Our Wrangler Unlimited had trouble maintaining 65 -70 on the mountain interstates around here and was not as stable and comfortable as a 4runner(we have driven), the Xterra we owned or our FJ. The Unlimited and FJ are pretty close in noise on the highway on windy days, the Xterra and 4runner are quieter and a little more civilized than the FJ and a lot better than the Unlimited.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
A 2wd 2005 what?
I didn't think they ever made the TJ in 2wd.
You are correct it was 2007 they started with the 2wd. My bad.

I went camping with my two sons this weekend and 38 other boy scouts what a blast even with broken ribs:(. One of the dads had a 4 door jeep wrangler and I had my FJ when we were heading out to the sloops to sled he started it and I said damm that sounds good. He said "3" exhaust" I was like "wow" gotta get that on my jeep but questioning it? I'm driving behind him on the trail and we hit the hwy. He guns it so I gun it thinking he is about to see what a SC FJ can do well he was just as fast if not faster so now I'm really confused as he was that I could keep up. When we got to the sloops so the kids could sled he opened the hood. 5.7 hemi v8 I had to snap a pic.

SWEEEEEET!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
You are correct it was 2007 they started with the 2wd. My bad.

I went camping with my two sons this weekend and 38 other boy scouts what a blast even with broken ribs:(. One of the dads had a 4 door jeep wrangler and I had my FJ when we were heading out to the sloops to sled he started it and I said damm that sounds good. He said "3" exhaust" I was like "wow" gotta get that on my jeep but questioning it? I'm driving behind him on the trail and we hit the hwy. He guns it so I gun it thinking he is about to see what a SC FJ can do well he was just as fast if not faster so now I'm really confused as he was that I could keep up. When we got to the sloops so the kids could sled he opened the hood. 5.7 hemi v8 I had to snap a pic.

SWEEEEEET!!!!!:)

]
I would say sweet.. .so your SC FJ almost kept up with a V8 Hemi

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
It wasn't really a race I was still on the muddy trail when he hit the hwy and took off but that thing was very impressive and we both had kids in the vehicles so its not like I was going to go over 75mph

1 - 20 of 20 Posts