Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around the forum, and didn't see anything regarding the forum's opinion on the XTerra versus the FJ. In terms of off-the-shelf ability and pricing, they seem pretty comparable.
Sure, I'm stoked about the FJ's appearance, can't wait to see and feel one. But what if it disappoints? What if the visibility is terrible, the trim feels cheap, and the cargo and leg room don't measure up? How about the "cave" feeling for back passengers?
I'm getting out of an Element that has served perfectly as a crossover LA city car, knobby desert road vehicle, Mammoth Mountain climbing car, and surf-mobile. And the internal cargo possibilities have been great. I can shove my Turner 5-spot in the Element standing up, with another bike and gear, or even slide my 9'6 board inside. But, I'm leaving LA and city life and looking for my next wilderness ride in July.
So, your opinions on the new XTerra vs FJ? Any takers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
i think the fj, and xterra are pretty close their both reliable, both nice, and both very good looking.I think its a tight game but im saying its 49/51%
FJ just barely in the lead

·
Registered
552 Posts
First off it you don't do any off road driving keep the element since I'm sure there will be trade offs with the FJ. As for the surfboard who is it made by? Ok back on topic, there are several threads in the past few months that have covered the comparison of the FJ to just about everything, my favorite being the Mini cooper but your element really seemed to bring out some venom in folks who don't see any similarities. If you do any off road driving or want more power for daily driving go with the FJ. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Element has been a great car. But, it cannot tow much at all, and its ability off road is limited to bumpy dirt roads and moderate snow. I had an Expedition few years back that I could stomp into rutted out fireroads, crank through snow drifts, etc. But it was a tank otherwise.
Yeah, I want to forge up un-maintained fire roads, across washes, etc. And I'd like to tow my cargo trailer too.
Boards. Caster 9'6" tint, Walden Magic 3 composit 9'0", old World Motion 7"6" egg, ad an ancient Ocean Pacific 6'3" that surf's like a dream. This quiver would look awfully nice atop an FJ cruiser.
But I keep looking at the XTerra. Time will tell.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice set of boards, I'm with you on the towing ability didn't think of that. Great for a Baja trip if your planning that. How about Walden 9' shaped by Steve, and a 9' 6' Walden magic epoxy, and best of all a Magic 9' epoxy coolest Walden I have ridden, very very light. I wonder how boards will fit inside if it's needed.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Xterra has got some skills, but here's a short thread from an Xterra owners club forum. And there are several other threads like this. Both vehicles have quirks, both got skills. I like the FJC styling better. Toyota build quality is the highest in the industry. You'll have the chance to drive both before your purchase. If it's a tie go with Toyota build quality, even if it's the first year run I bet we won't be having threads like the one below in this forum later this year.

Hello Folks. I have an '05 with 6-speed manual tranny. It's leaking oil at the transfer case. Dealer said bad seal around the shaft; repaired. However after running for one day after the repair the leak is back, but leaving bigger spots (hand sized) on the garage floor. Does anybody have a similar problem? Any insight?
Best Regards,
Some poor bastage that should have waited on an FJC

Just bring it back again, and if it leaks again, have the dealer buy the X back. Its called the lemon law.
--------------------
Some other poor bastage that thinks highly of Nissan

Thanks, Dave. Our Lemon Law in Delaware is three strikes. The dealer thinks the shaft might be slightly out of round, thus wobbling and destroying the seals. Either way, they're fixing or replacing.
Regards,
Someone that should have waited on an FJC

·
Registered
163 Posts
mappelman said:
Nice set of boards, I'm with you on the towing ability didn't think of that. Great for a Baja trip if your planning that. How about Walden 9' shaped by Steve, and a 9' 6' Walden magic epoxy, and best of all a Magic 9' epoxy coolest Walden I have ridden, very very light. I wonder how boards will fit inside if it's needed.
I have 3 downpayments at local dealers, #1, #2, and #4....first one that comes in Voodoo Blue, six speed is mine...I can't imagine what it's gonna look like with my quiver ontop...9'-6" Tudor Classic Pin, 9'-2" Tudor Diamond Tail, 6'-0" Tudor Fish, 9'-6" August (RA)...

....too bad I live on the wrong coast.... (NJ)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Alright looks like we have a fan on Joel, maybe if your out in San Diego we can have a FJ/Surf meet. I hope they make the OEM roof rack work with surfboards, also I hope someone makes a surfboard strap to go along with the bike and snowboard attachments.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i'm a bit of a fan...they're a little over priced...but the quality is there...I actually got most of them used...there are a ton of rich little yuppies in Jersey that buy the most expensive board they see...wax it, paddle out and find out surfin is a lot harder than it looks...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Pluses for the FJ are that it's cheaper than a similarly equipped Xterra, more reliable (look at consumer reports for the Xterra, alot of black marks) and seems to have a slight advantage off-road. As far as reliability most Toyota cars have solid red circles with Consumer Reports, combined with the fact that Toyota right now is the biggest car company in the world and has strong resale values. Look at the fact that after 10-20 years 4runners and Toyota Pickups are still huge sellers and command much higher prices than comparable import trucks and SUVs.

As far as the major complaints with vision, from what I saw sitting in the pre-production FJ at SEMA, the C-pillar wasn't really all that bad and didn't really inhibit my vision to a point that I would complain about it. And vision over the hood wasn't that bad either. Mind you, I think the FJ was definitely designed for a demographic of males that are generally from 5'9" to 6'2" and so at 6' I had no problem seeing over the hood with the seat adjusted right. And despite the design of the roof and windshield, it doesn't feel like you're looking through a tiny viewport of a tank like some other similarly designed vehicles. For instance, the Audi TT is so bad that it definitely feels like you're driving a tank. Of course it's handling, weight and underpowered engine don't help that impression at all but that's another story ;)

And finally as far as the plastics, on the pre-production example I saw they definitely seemed cheap but that's mostly because of the lack of texture on the pieces. The plastics didn't feel all that cheap, it was just the lack of texture that made them seem unfinished. Supposedly the production model will have textured plastic.

Otherwise there's plenty of cargo and passenger space. Even my dad was impressed with the passenger room in the back seat. It looks small from the outside and from the pictures but it's really quite roomy.

- LC

·
Registered
552 Posts
:)
TeamChin said:
i'm a bit of a fan...they're a little over priced...but the quality is there...I actually got most of them used...there are a ton of rich little yuppies in Jersey that buy the most expensive board they see...wax it, paddle out and find out surfin is a lot harder than it looks...
I got a surfboard thread going in the off-topic section so I don't clutter the forum up with a coastal issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It looks to me like the Off Road Xterra vs. the FJ with rear locker and ATRAC will be about the same off road. Prices will be comparable, too.

It will come down to styling and practicality. The Xterra has some really cool features that are standard, like the roof rack, the channels and tie downs in the interior, roomy back seat and four real doors. I don't particularly like the Xterra styling though.

The electronic front LSD (Nissan's ABLS, Toyota's ATRAC, I guess) is standard on an X, and doesn't require $4500 in options. But, by the time you spec an Off Road Xterra, you've come pretty close to a loaded FJ in price anyway, and you can't get the rear locker on an Xterra without the Off Road package.

I have a feeling that FJ's are going to fly off the lots, and that Xterras will languish, especially since they have already been out for a year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The FJC and Xterra are 90% the same vehicle just from two different companies. Think Evo and Sti. The similarities between them (and the Tacoma / Frontier) are so close it's almost like Toyota and Nissan worked together when making them.

I have no first hand experience of the FJC, but I test drove an Xterra this weekend. My only real differences as far as my observations is that he FJC is more of a 2door with extra passanger room in the back while the Xterra is more of a 4door. Aside from that, you can't split them. Just a matter of taste.

I will say, in Nissan's defense, that you cannot compare the pre 2005 Xterra to the FJC. And everything I've done for research shows the 05 & 06 Xterra to be doing very well as far as sales (up 8% over last year) and reliability.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Onikage954RR said:
The FJC and Xterra are 90% the same vehicle just from two different companies. Think Evo and Sti. The similarities between them (and the Tacoma / Frontier) are so close it's almost like Toyota and Nissan worked together when making them.

I have no first hand experience of the FJC, but I test drove an Xterra this weekend. My only real differences as far as my observations is that he FJC is more of a 2door with extra passanger room in the back while the Xterra is more of a 4door. Aside from that, you can't split them. Just a matter of taste.

I will say, in Nissan's defense, that you cannot compare the pre 2005 Xterra to the FJC. And everything I've done for research shows the 05 & 06 Xterra to be doing very well as far as sales (up 8% over last year) and reliability.
Correct the newer xterra was a ground up redesign and a much better vehicle then the earlier ones which had a much deserved bad reputation.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Too late, cant resist to FJ Cruiser and ordered a Black, six speed manuel last friday.

I own a 4runner 2003 V8 and found very interesting in Canadian weather condition to have a Torsen center differential for day to day use and Toyota will put the exact same Torsen on FJ cruiser 6 speeds manual.

This is the only big mecanical difference I found between Xterra and FJ Cruiser. For automatic transmission, the FJ Cruiser use a standart transfer case and will be very similar to Xterra.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the biggest difference between the 2 will be the market price. On one end we have the FJ which will be going for full MSRP + mark-ups at most dealers + installed accessories at most dealers = low to possibly mid $30s. While the Xterra is going for full "invoice":D and depending on your area and timing, incentives can be a huge factor as well. Couple months ago, there was a $2000 incentives on Xterra, but only $500 this month...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think a huge advantage for the FJ is suspension travel. In one of the articles with a "shootout" between the H3, Jeep, FJ, and Xterra, the Xterra had the worst RTI by far, and the FJ trailed the H3 only slightly. (RTI is ramp travel index, they run one tire of the vehicle up a ramp until a tire comes off the ground)

This will make a significant difference when off road!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Freewheeling Frank said:
I think a huge advantage for the FJ is suspension travel. In one of the articles with a "shootout" between the H3, Jeep, FJ, and Xterra, the Xterra had the worst RTI by far, and the FJ trailed the H3 only slightly. (RTI is ramp travel index, they run one tire of the vehicle up a ramp until a tire comes off the ground)

This will make a significant difference when off road!!

Xterra is just slightly sportier than FJ, but FJ has much better ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts