Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with what to look out for with windshield replacements on the FJ? On one occasion I had my Tacoma windshield replaced and noticed the glass appeared to be wavy around the edges more that the factory glass windshield. Any suggestions on what to inquire on with the glass company that may be doing the work?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do a search, there are more horror stories than one could post. One thing I can tell you, interview the shop & make sure they have replaced windshields on the FJ in the recent past & have them do it in thier shop not in your driveway. It is not your basic windshield replacement.
You may get some suggestions of shops that have done a good job if you post your location. Sorry just looked at your avatar, You are in Phoenix, but the area you are in may help.
I have 2 stars in mine & have had one filled & will get the other one as soon as I have a chance, just got the second one last week.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
The trim strips above and on the pillars need to be removed to replace the windshield so make sure they know that. Originally the replacement shops were damaging the top piece and having to replace it, but now that they been around for awhile they usually can take it off without damaging it. Also make sure they replace the clips that hold the side pieces on instead of reusing possibly damaged clips. There has been numerous stories of the trims pieces flying off after windshield replacements.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Call "Better View Auto Glass" 623-204-5609 or 480-688-8292. They will treat you right and do the job correctly. Highly recommended in AZ by FJ folks.

(I have no affiliation with the above business)

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Getting my windshield replaced for the second time next week... :flame:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
There is a shop down the street that adds a clear coat tint to glass to make your view polarized like those sun glasses I wonder if that would help with chips. 32,000 miles no chips yet:)
________
Festique

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had my windshield replaced last summer, it took them two windshields to get it right and $2300.00 in repairs to the roof! I was more than pissed!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Watch out guys. I had my windsheild replaced last summer. Looked like a good job. A couple nights ago the upper trim blew off. Didn't realize that it had happened until the next day. Went back and looked for the piece to no avail. Called Toyota parts here in Helena MT. They quoted me $229 for that stupid piece of plastic, plus extra for mounting pieces. To say I'm hot would be a huge under statement.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Again I'll ask... with so many busted windshields on this forum, has anyone looked into replacing the front glass with lexan/polycarb or something? If you break one of those you've got much bigger problems!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Can anyone recommend a company that knows what they're doing for windshield replacement in the Ft. Hood Killeen area (or Austin). please.

thank you

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had mine replaced a few months a go. It turned out that I was their first experience with the FJ cruiser. It took them all day and they put more scratches in my FJ than I have. I was not satisfied, but there was not a snowballs chance in Hades that they were "fixing" anything else. It sucks to leave the glass shop hoping that it breaks again real soon , lol.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I had mine replaced due to a giant rock smashing it and it took the people five times and two windshields to get it right it was ridiculous

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts