Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, my gosh. I have a problem. I test drove a 2011 FJ Cruiser (quicksand color) yesterday, and now I can't get my mind off it. I am seriously contemplating getting it, but I would have to sell my '77 FJ40 to do so. FJ40 or FJ Cruiser? Am I crazy for even thinking of it?

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
Big problem you have there. I think it would be awesome to have one of each. I am always keeping my eye out for a good fj40 but probably wont get one till the FJ is paid off. I say keep it and save a little more so you can have both. Even if they stop making the FJ there are plenty of grocery getter fj's out there that you could probable get for a decent price in a few years. The new FJ's handle well on the street, very comfortable for long drives and very capable off road.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Welcome aboard.

There are a few details you're not telling us. Do you have a family? Do you own any other vehicles other than the FJ40? What condition is the FJ40 in? How much would sell the FJ40 for (roughly)? What would you be using your FJ Cruiser for?

Personally, I like FJC because I have a family and it is my daily driver. If I was a single man, didn't drive a lot on the roads, and already owned a very nice FJ40, I'd keep it.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Can you get in your 40 and drive it 85 miles an hour all the way to Moab with the air conditioner blasting?

:)

I'm just say'n.

-

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sold my '85 CJ7 two years after I bought my 2008 FJC when I finally admitted I just wasn't going to use it anymore. I hated parting with it but the FJ is much more comfortable on the road and just as capable for anything I'm doing off road. Depends on your situation and what you want to do. My FJ is not really my daily driver and neither was the Jeep, so I really couldn't find a good reason to keep both.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Don't sell your FJ40. You'll always regret it....take it from someone who has done just that.

I really love my FJ though. More than any truck I've ever had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you get in your 40 and drive it 85 miles an hour all the way to Moab with the air conditioner blasting?

:)

I'm just say'n.

-
Yes, that's the thing. I am in Phoenix and have to take freeways to get to the places I would like to take my FJ40 (the wilderness). It CAN go on the freeway, but it is not the safest at those high speeds. And I was thinking of putting in an AC so I can enjoy it all year (big investment $1300-1500). Otherwise, it sits in the garage all summer.
My FJ40 is restored and looks and drives amazing. I would probably want about $18,000. Funny enough, the salesman at the Toyota dealer I went to says he wants it (sight unseen) ... but I have not decided if that is the right step for me. The quicksand FJC was SOOO nice, though. I also have a 2000 BMW Z3 which is my daily driver right now. That would have to go as well if I get an FJC. The FJC would be my daily driver then, and we would be free to take it on some fun trips with the dogs around the southwest. No kids, just me and my husband. What can I say, I love the 40 and:boohoo::boohoo: the FJC! What's a gal to do? :boohoo:

·
Registered
449 Posts
FJ Cuiser = go anywhere daily driver.
FJ40 = toy.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think that we need some pictures of the FJ40 to help you decide. The FJ40 market is pretty tough right now....if you follow ebay, there are not very many of them actually selling (or even getting bids).

The economy is pretty tough....you may be better holding onto the FJ40 for a while.

Doc

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Tell the guy at the dealer to hook you up big time with extras and then sell it for 18k, somebody here has to win over the dealer at some point.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
They're two completely different trucks, on different ends of the 4WD spectrum if you will - one is not a replacement of the other. The FJC is a go anywhere in comfort vehicle that is fairly capable off-road. The 40 is an icon that is more satisfying and fun to drive (IMO), and a better dedicated wheeling truck, but you have to want to drive it and there are relatively few people for whom it would be a good choice as a daily driver today. As has been said, you need to clarify your real needs and wants in a single vehicle to make a good choice between the two.

·
Premium Member
2011 fjcruiser quicksand
370 Posts
There is no reason to sell the FJ40! PERIOD! Keep it. You can't be that hard up. If you are you can't afford the FJ Crusier. Take it from someone who knows. Unless you have been offered a small fortune. That old FJ40 is not worth getting rid of. But.... If ya just have to.....e-mail me.
If you get rid of the FJ 40 fine, The FJ Cruiser will be a great improvement in luxury,power,and off road prowness.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Both! Different animals; although, my FJ40 is a garage queen and never gets wheeled.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I sold my '85 CJ7 two years after I bought my 2008 FJC when I finally admitted I just wasn't going to use it anymore. I hated parting with it but the FJ is much more comfortable on the road and just as capable for anything I'm doing off road. Depends on your situation and what you want to do. My FJ is not really my daily driver and neither was the Jeep, so I really couldn't find a good reason to keep both.
I parted with my '75 CJ-5 with a 360 v8 and BW-T18 transmission with hydro output. Man the thing could crawl. I miss it, wish I'd kept it but love the FJC also.

IMO, FJC is a better all-around vehicle but if you can keep the FJ-40 as a toy, do it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big problem you have there. I think it would be awesome to have one of each. I am always keeping my eye out for a good fj40 but probably wont get one till the FJ is paid off. I say keep it and save a little more so you can have both. Even if they stop making the FJ there are plenty of grocery getter fj's out there that you could probable get for a decent price in a few years. The new FJ's handle well on the street, very comfortable for long drives and very capable off road.
Thank you for all of your input. I think I like this piece of advice the best. I will hold onto my FJ40 and my dream of an FJ Cruiser. I probably could get a nice used FJC in a few years for a decent price, but I may not always find an FJ40. And my hesitation to give up the 40 tells me I probably would regret it if I gave it up. I will still try to post pics of it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
keep the 40!!!!!!!!!!! dont buy on impulse youll regret it later on buy a used fj for cheap theyre just as good used as they are new, all toyotas have that broken in feel, but please do not get rid of the classic

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Lets see some pics of that 40 I'm in the Market. You toyota jeep guys are addicting, Never drove a 40. What do you want for it details. I need a pole barn

1 - 20 of 31 Posts