Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people im new to this so would like to say hello to everyone, I have a fj40 which im restoring now and i want a 4 inch bodylift any ideas on what i need from start to finish.........

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a body lift, but you have several good options for suspension lifts. I'm running Alcan springs on mine and like them: Alcan Spring - Manufactures Fine Custom Leaf Springs

They make custom springs for any lift amount and weight.

A good off-the-shelf solution that many people are happy with is Hell Creek Suspensions, they make 2.5" and 4" lift kits: Hell Creek Suspensions, Inc.

The kit will have all new springs, bushings, shocks, and u-bolts. You may want to replace your shackles and spring pins while you're at it.

For a 4" lift you're going to want to extend your brake lines too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Say no to the BODY LIFT hathan. Go with new springs for sure. Like Gunny said head over to IH8MUD and you will find just about all the answers you need from the FAQ's.
Got any pics of it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Besides looking gay, body lifts separate the frame and drive train from the body, causing linkage issues, steering column problems and other headaches. While I don't have direct experience with an FJ-40 (though I wish I had one), I have restored and built up a rock crawler CJ-7 and I went with one a 1 inch body lift and 3 1/2 in the suspension plus another inch in the shackles.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm lookin' at my '68 40, (raised 2" for BFG km clearance) and I'd have to say that at 4" you might be seriously straddling the "top-heavy" (as in roll-over) line, unless you plan on widening the stance a bit. Just a thought.

P.S. If you're planning on lifting it 4" that's not a restore, that's a serious modification that will certainly affect (lessen) the value of the vehicle, but it's yours and you should do what you want with it.

Jerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot people for your reply, and yes i will go with suspension lift, what needs to be changed on a suspension lift is their much to do, as i dont want to spend too much on things like that.......so cheapest option guys thanks again for your supprt .........You boys make things go round.........

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Thanks alot people for your reply, and yes i will go with suspension lift, what needs to be changed on a suspension lift is their much to do, as i dont want to spend too much on things like that.......so cheapest option guys thanks again for your supprt .........You boys make things go round.........
The lest-expensive suspension lift is going to be from Rough Country (a supporting vendor here BTW) Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck or Skyjacker.

If you stick with a 2.5" lift, then it is just a straight swap of the new leaf springs, bushings, and shocks for the old ones. It is not a difficult job to do yourself, unless your existing bushings are really worn or your spring and shackle pins are rusted in. You will need a good jack and some some jack stands, a torque wrench, as well as basic hand tools to do it. If your old junk is really worn or rusted, you're going to want a torch.

Like I said, if you put in a 4" lift you will need to lengthen your brake lines. You can buy longer brake lines pre-made from Man-A-Fre or Spector Off-road.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Old Man Emu (OME) makes a complete suspension sytem for the FJ40. That would be my choice, but then again I sell them.....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Rough country suits me kind of good, iv already read up on their products sounds cool, My friend recommends me to go for coil over shocks, he said they are very good in terms of smooth ride, what do you guys think of that, and who does them......are they recommended or?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
My friend recommends me to go for coil over shocks, he said they are very good in terms of smooth ride, what do you guys think of that, and who does them......are they recommended or?
Your FJ40 has leaf springs, not coil springs. Coilovers will not fit/work on it, at least not without a lot of custom fab work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can use Gabriel Overload Assist shocks. These are very stiff and will not make for a soft ride. I still have a set on my 73'40 but they are well worn and not as rough riding.
Was your friend talking about coil springs in place of the stock leafs. It is doable but will require quite bit of fabrication and several new components including upper and lower links, track bars and shock relocation. Doable yes, inexpensive only if you have the tools and skills to accomplish this and keep it SAFE to drive.
A new set of leafs would do what you are after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts