Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of my brother's FJ60 with canoe and my FJC with kayak. (His daughter and grandson are in the foreground.) He bought his Land Cruiser new; ~25 years later I bought the FJC. I find the FJC to be closer to the original FJ60 than anything else in the long FJ history.

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
Nice set of toys Snagle. Wow, 25 years! I wonder if I will keep my FJC for 25 years ..... what's the FJ60's mileage?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice set of toys Snagle. Wow, 25 years! I wonder if I will keep my FJC for 25 years ..... what's the FJ60's mileage?
His FJ60 has ~150,000 miles. Years ago it moved from daily driver to occasional use. It has towed boats, dirt bikes, been to Colorado and Florida (pretty good drives from Kentucky) and seen some pretty good trails. The fluids have been changed regularly and the oil on the dipstick still looks like it just came from the bottle. I hope my FJC holds up as well as his FJ60!

·
Registered
391 Posts
So thats what a kayak looks like on a sandstorm :bigthumb:

I just moved to WV and have been thinking about getting a kayak for around here. Did you put anything between the kayak and the roof rack to mount it?

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Very nice PIC! You guys should sell it to Toyota. That is a legacy right there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So thats what a kayak looks like on a sandstorm :bigthumb:

I just moved to WV and have been thinking about getting a kayak for around here. Did you put anything between the kayak and the roof rack to mount it?
The kayak came with foam blocks designed to fit on standard cross bars. I tried these but did not like them; they required the boat to be upright and raised it slightly. I was happier with nothing other than the standard roof rack and the boat upside down as seen in the picture. This lowered the overall height slightly and made the surface cutting through the wind the same as the surface cutting through the water.

I did move one of the lower cross bars to the top rails. I extended it and pushed it as far forward as it would go. I compressed the upper cross bar and moved it rearward. The kayak rides on these two cross bar perfectly. The kayak only weighs 58 lbs. and this is divided between the two cross bars. Even with wind loading and tension in the tie-downs, there is no danger of overloading the crossbars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got the RV Inno IN406 kayak carrier today. Holds solid, but a pain in the arse to load. I'm 6'2" and it still was'nt easy. Gotta figure something out when I get the suspension upgraded next month. Got my 15' Malibu Extreme and 16' Tarpon loaded here...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts