Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you didnt know there is a FJ racing the Dakar this year.... wishing them luck and I hope they do good!

They have cool pictures of thier build on the FB page too... 4 link rear end with bypasses!

Follow thier progress and watch some videos at:

https://www.facebook.com/Juliorocadakar/

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
While i'm a huge olde-skool Dakar fan (what other motorsport has LAND MINES as an obstacle?!?), the new version in South America is a really amazing event.
If this FJ finishes, it will be a tremendous accomplishment.
(sadly, this year's event has already been marred by tragedy, as the female chinese driver went off track and hit a bunch of spectators.)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hope the FJ does well and there are no more spectators hurt. Like every year, I'm still cheering on Robby Gordon. He's got time to make up 17 minutes :) I'm going to watch the NBC Sports highlights that airs each day @ 5:30PM ET.

Reactions: smoking_rubber

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Looks cool! I see they run with the snorkel facing the rear of the FJ rather than forward..I'm guessing it's to avoid the dust/dirt from being forced into the air intake?

Sent from a NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep, exactly. I always turn mine backwards when im driving with a group. If you crack the passenger side window you can hear the engine through the snorkel and its the coolest thing ever.

Reactions: m3pedro

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I found these of the back end. Is this another FJ or did they cut the back end of the one posted earlier? It's the same one correct?

Also I am surprised they are only running the +2 Total Chaos vs the +3.5. But judging by the pics of it jumping the +2 seems to be doing just fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
398 carries the 2016 Dakar decal so that's got to be the latest photo. 873 shows the truck before the a$$ was chopped off. Fingers crossed the survive to the finish. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: m3pedro

·
Registered
999 Posts
Reactions: smoking_rubber

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Is that where my Shop Vac hose went?

Reactions: gmurrell

·
Desert Moderator
7,108 Posts
Just finishing the Dakar is a major feat... Good luck to them. Most starters won't finish.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They just rolled the FJ yesterday but were able to continue and finish the stage!

(for some reason they did cut the roof off the back before the dakar. )

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also I am surprised they are only running the +2 Total Chaos vs the +3.5. But judging by the pics of it jumping the +2 seems to be doing just fine.
They posted a video of a fast flyby and they totally slammed the front hard, trust me they could use more travel....

Maybe it has something to do with dakar rules and wider fiberglass fenders on the "production" class racers. That would be my bet on the limitation.

The rules usually impose a max width over stock on production classes also. This of course limits your travel...

·
Desert Moderator
7,108 Posts
Thanks for the updates! Hopefully they can finish the rally - doesn't look like the damage is too severe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would say they cut the back to carry spare wheels/tyres (you can see them in there). You don't want those inside the cab. It also reduces the cab volume, making it easier to control temp. inside, and gives less space for dust to settle. ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
They just rolled the FJ yesterday but were able to continue and finish the stage!

(for some reason they did cut the roof off the back before the dakar. )

The chop job actually looks pretty good. I'd like to see how they sealed/fabricated the "wall" between the bed and the cab.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well unfortunately they did not finish.... stage 10 was the fartest they got 70th place.

·
Desert Moderator
7,108 Posts
That's still a great achievement!
Better luck to them next time it's a brutal rally where only the lucky & really well funded finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts