Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Speaker manufacturer NXT has announced that Toyota's new 2007 FJ Cruiser SUV will be the first commercial vehicle to incorporate its flat speaker technology, with the FJ to rock the enclosure-less speakers in its ceiling panel. The NXT tech differs from traditional conical speakers in that it uses a light, flat diaphragm to disburse sound frequencies over the entire panel surface as opposed to producing vibrations that ripple from the center outwards. The NXT-enabled FJ will be available in March 2006 for an as-yet-unspecified price.

Source: Engadget

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
yet-unspecified price. yeah no kidding ha.

Yup...those are the flat speakers that are above your head over where the two doors meet. Pancho saw them in person and said they worked really well....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Pancho saw them in person and said they worked really well....
I wish. I think that's Ernie J. Rocks your talking about.

A desperate thought on the NXT flat speaker technology - I bet cutting a big hole in the ceiling for a sunroof will seriously dampen my sound shower.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Pancho said:

A desperate thought on the NXT flat speaker technology - I bet cutting a big hole in the ceiling for a sunroof will seriously dampen my sound shower.
oh yeah sorry the avatar got me all confused :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
yes indeedy. until someone else pull off a better stunt...EJR is my avatar.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Pancho said:

Yup, I'm not sure where this leaves my desire for a sunroof. Again, it all comes down to pricing.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Kinda shoots a big ole hole in the topless option, too doesn't it?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Haha, it just might...but as of now, there aren't roll bars in it, so I guess we don't deserve a topless version. =(

·
Registered
7 Posts
FJCruiser Has Flat Speakers - We have matching Subwoofer

The company I work for manufactures flat panel subwoofers, what better than that to go with the factory flat panel speaker system? I'm in the R+D department -so as soon as I can get my hands on a truck, I will design a drop in spacesaver fiberglass enclosure that will be custom for the FJ and not take up much if at all cargo space. If you're interested in something like this, let me know. I currently drive a FZJ80 cruiser and have designed the same type of system for them. That system fits within the wall cavity of the quarter panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Interesting. Not sure about that mugshot though.
I thought the flatties didn't work for lower frequencies. Or you need a giant surface, or something like that. Or maybe they overcome the size limitations of conventional cones somehow. Educate us some more seven.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
damn skippy EJR. you look like you belong in that House of the Rising Atomic Sun, even though didn't you say you ordered the B.M.??? Sorry man, but you'll still be my avatar until the first dude that drives his FJC up and down that killer ridge in Moab, whatever it's called.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The one that ate the Blazer?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pancho said:
Interesting. Not sure about that mugshot though.
I thought the flatties didn't work for lower frequencies. Or you need a giant surface, or something like that. Or maybe they overcome the size limitations of conventional cones somehow. Educate us some more seven.

bump - ditto

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pancho said:

seriously please take pictures of the whole process. i'd love to have a sunroof and i'm almost certain 2 of the standard 6 speakers are somewhere in the roof. hope these special speakers will make the sunroof impossible or totally kill the acoustics of those 2 speakers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts