Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FJET's Build Up "The Scoutlander"

Current as of 1-4-10:

Hey Everyone,

My name is Ryon Atwood. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure that all of you gave me that nasty little disease I'm calling the MOD's! Well, I decided early this week to get to it, even though I've done a couple MOD's already, I wanted to dive in the deep-end and play with the big boys from jump.

Here, with a couple other pics of early (inconsequential) ((a nod to Dr. Evil)) modifications, is the photo story of my new front bumper. Along with being a certified golf instructor, I'm also proud to call myself a fabricator. With a little help from AutoCad, this is what came about and will continue to evolve. I hope you enjoy, and thanks for letting me be a part of FJ Nation!

Very first MOD...gotta rep West Texas A&M!

After careful measurments the first of the concept joins the mock-up party

This bumper will soon include some tow lugs and whatever else I can dream up between now and then.

As for the total transformation, I plan a lift soon, a decorating of the rack with tools of the trade, a self fabricated snorkel (thanks to the trailblazing knowledge of "Jbell"), and some new shoes once the stock wear out.

BTW Jbell, I would love to talk specifics on your awesome snorkel!

Photo of interior MOD and my Co-Pilot! My 1 yr. old daughter Scout and her off-road ready seat with three-point harness! lol

Woke up to see the FJ covered in snow Friday morning. Pretty tough sledding headed into a cross wind with big 'ol quarter size flakes flying from right to left! Doesn't happen often here.

Thanks Guys,
Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Functional MOD's list:

The beat the crap out of your compass MOD
Black Mesa* rear door gear mount
Black Mesa* air-dam
Black Mesa* front bumper with bull-bar
Black Mesa* accessory rack mounts for shovel and jack
Daystar comfort ride 2.5" spacer lift
Skid-Plate chop
OEM sliders
OEM roof rack
GRACO child seat for Scout...:lol:

Aesthetic MOD's list:

blacked out center dash console panel
blacked out rear bumper wings
removal of rear mud-flaps
West Texas A&M University sticker
removal of spare tire cover

*Black Mesa products are in no way, shape or form available to the public.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark...to tell the truth, I first became impressed with the capabilities of the FJ after easily going where my my wife buried our 2007 Ford F-250 four-door 4X4 Powerstroke (that really hurt my pride knowing that beast could get stuck)...hopefully soon my FJ will live up to some of the awe-inspiring pics on this forum (namely your rig)!

Ryon

·
Registered
252 Posts
Always fun to see people doing unique stuff like that bumper. Will look forward to seeing it progress.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sorbee! I thought I was gonna get to use that thing this morning after narrowly missing someone (not in an FJ) spinning out of control in the driving snow this morning! Have a few more pics to post, but today is my little girl's 1st birthday, so after work I definitely won't be on the boards! Have a good one guys.

Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK...finished the bumper to at least look presentable, but there will be little additions here and there as we go. Maybe some lights, maybe a winch in the future.

Scout seems to be surprised at my welding skills...don't worry little one, daddy knows what he's doing!

During this process I did a couple other MOD's. With LandCruiserSteve's guidance I removed the center panel and blacked it out from the factory yellow (pic to come soon.) I also removed the back mud-flaps (pic on it's way)...weighing my options with the removal of the front set. If I followed tibaal89's method I'd have ripped those things off already!

It's funny, I started this build to satisfy my needs to MOD my FJ, but all I can think about now is how fun it's going to be in the years to come to take Scout and my nephew on camping trips and four-wheeling trips! Maybe that's why this FJ's official name should have "scout" somewhere in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks Guys,

Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Those Welds and that Kid are beautiful Sir . . .
Thanks eli. That means a lot to me. She's head-strong just like her mom...the welds are too I guess!

On that note, if any of you are ever in the Texas Panhandle and in need of any type of fabrication, look me up...I have access to ALL of the cool tools, and I'd be more than happy to help out. For that matter, I can fabricate and ship too! Anything to help anyone on this great forum.

Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, today was a good day. The weekend was finally here so I had a little excursion this morning...well as much of an excursion as you can have in the High Plains! I bought "The Scoutlander" to get up and down our dirt roads in inclement weather. I knew that it was well equipped for that, but I'm slowly learning how much more it has to offer. Around our place we have extremely steep and tall ditches. This morning began my first lesson in 4LO with ATRAC. Good grief! I've only used Scoutlander in 4HI when the roads are muddy...I had no idea what was in store.

I climbed my first ditch and found myself grinning from ear to ear. On a side note, I have a question...ATRAC is supposed to sound almost like ABS when it goes to work right?

I could feel my left rear tire leave the ground and then ATRAC going to work...it almost feels like something is lifting you from underneath and pushing you forward...weird man...weird.

looks like I might need to take a look at some more travel in the near future!

Anyway, after some baby steps in crawling (pun intended), I headed out for adventure.

Contrary to popular belief, if you look hard enough, you can find some trees here and there around this part of the country! If I saw a stand of trees from the highway, I figured out how to get out there and see what it actually looked like up close. Good day! Enjoy...and oh yeah...lift kit has been ordered...nothing spectacular...this is my daily driver after all. Pics will be posted soon.

From Scoutlander Z...next planet over from Peelander Z,
Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks FLMike! If you ever want one, I think we could work something out. Can't wait to see your rig and how you progress with it!

Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I'm not going to post specific pictures of the mud-flap removal, the OEM skid-plate chop (that I forgot to mention) or the center panel black-out, as I'm sure you all know how those look. What I am going to post is the next MOD on The Scoutlander. For all intents and purposes I planned on buying some rack mounts for the OEM rack, but the penny-pincher in me said "why can't you fabricate those?"

So that's just what I did. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the BETA version of FJET's accessory mounts...soon to go into full production in two-thousand-never.

If anyone wants to spend a few less dollars in the DINERO department, hit me up and I'd be happy to make you some...on the cheap...as in way less than what Garvin is asking.

Anyway, enjoy...and oh yeah, I found my old Uniden PC55 CB radio...think that might be the next MOD while I wait on the lift kit...Is it destiny that this little beauty is so small and thin that it makes the mounting options limitless?

Ryon

OK...who put the damn pan flute on my dash!?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I didn't get the CB mounted...moving into Canyon has really taken huge chunks out of my time in the shop. Doesn't my wife realize that no means no, when it comes to trying to get me to pack one more piece of furniture that has to be made completely out of stone?

I did however sneak away for several hours to install the spacer lift from Daystar...gaining a whole new sense of respect for people that are mechanically inclined! I am not one of those people, but with some scraped knuckles I got the job done. I'm diggin' the nosed-up look right now...we'll see how I feel about it a few miles down the road.

On a side note, I noticed that the tires on our Powerstroke are a perfect match...nice little AT tire that won't give alot of road hum...wonder if the wife would notice?:thinkerg:

Ryon

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I love innovation. Great job on your mods.
I have a few questions
The shovel mounts look great, but it looks like you used a standard nut to keep it in place. Will you have to use a ratchet or wrench to access your shovel? It doesn't look like you used any type of nylok nut. Any plans on securing these so they don't vibrate off?

The bumper looks stout. How much does it weigh ? What thickness materials did you use? Did you use the standard mounting points or add mounting points to the side of the frame ?
It seems to be really long in front. Are you going to wheel your truck?
Again, Nice job on the mods. These questions may add some insight, to other folks who may want to make their own stuff.
You may want to be careful adding an offer to make stuff for others. You don't want to get caught up in a vendor status issue.
thanks for sharing. It looks like you have a great start to the mod bug addiction.
thanks
Don

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I love innovation. Great job on your mods.
I have a few questions
The shovel mounts look great, but it looks like you used a standard nut to keep it in place. Will you have to use a ratchet or wrench to access your shovel? It doesn't look like you used any type of nylok nut. Any plans on securing these so they don't vibrate off?

The bumper looks stout. How much does it weigh ? What thickness materials did you use? Did you use the standard mounting points or add mounting points to the side of the frame ?
It seems to be really long in front. Are you going to wheel your truck?
Again, Nice job on the mods. These questions may add some insight, to other folks who may want to make their own stuff.
You may want to be careful adding an offer to make stuff for others. You don't want to get caught up in a vendor status issue.
thanks for sharing. It looks like you have a great start to the mod bug addiction.
thanks
Don
Thanks Don! Man I love your rig. To answer your questions:

The mounts are a work in progress. They need to be shaved down and rounded off. I used regular nuts until I found some cord locks the other day. I figured that until I got the locks, if anyone actually wanted to go to the effort and wrench those things off, they could have at it. Now I have a quandry. Since I found the locks, I had been planning on going with some wing nuts, but I can't put near the amount of torque that I can with a 3/8 nut and a wrench. I always carry a tool kit, so having a wrench handy will never be a problem. Any suggestions?

The bumper has a ways to go...it weighs in at about 65 pounds. I'm gonna shave a couple pounds on it with some properly placed holes in various sizes. I used 3/16 plate for the main components and 10 ga. for the flashing. I fabbed up some mounts that attached to frame, but was reading here the other day about (AllPro or ARB...can't remember which) plates for the side of the frame. That will definitely be fabbed and added next.

I do plan on wheeling a little bit...mostly trail stuff, taking kids camping and what not. I know that the bumper is long, but I was trying to get outside "The Box" a little bit. Next one should probably have a shorter profile. My angle of approach is shot, but maybe that will be a built in warning system (AKA: if your bumper rubs, you don't need to be doing this Ryon!)

Lastly. You are SO right about offering to fab stuff for others. I never thought of it that way. My mode of thinking was that if somebody was short on cash but wanted some functional stuff for the cost of parts and materials, that they could keep on modding. I'll tap the brakes on that idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for looking, and I hope to meet some of you guys in person some time soon!

Ryon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should have added this item this morning, but forgot. I am thinking about doing a paint job on the wheels. This is what I've come up with so far. This would involve alot of raw paint edges, and would tend to break down quicker than most, but there's gotta be some sort of coating for this app (maybe a non-caloric polymer designed by Clark Griswold?):lol:

Any input (likes - dislikes) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryon

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Not sure about the wheels. I guess you just need to look at it for a few weeks and decide if you like it. Thanks for the look at my rig. Again I applaud you for your creative home brew ideas. For me it's not just about the end result in modding. It's actually the journey , to get there. It seems you have some of that too.
Good luck. May be we can meet and wheel sometime .
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the look at my rig. Again I applaud you for your creative home brew ideas. For me it's not just about the end result in modding. It's actually the journey , to get there. It seems you have some of that too.
Good luck. May be we can meet and wheel sometime .
Thanks
Don
You got it Don. I told myself when I started this that if I could do any of the MOD's myself that I would. It certainly has been fun so far...trial and error is the process that creates the memories!

Ryon

1 - 20 of 49 Posts