Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 391 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to doing the SCUBA mod to raise the breather on the e-locker, rear diff, transmission, and transfer case.

The original SCUBA mod by Shadow Warrior can be found here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/29229-scuba-driver-transmission-transfer-case-rear-differential-e-locker-breather-mod.html

Taken from Shadow-Warrior's post
Historic Background For Doing This MOD

Toyota has moved the Front Differential and Front Actuator breathers up high in the engine bay already for you, but neglected to move the Rear Differential breather, E-Locker breather, Transmission & Transfer Case Breathers. Those with the MT will only have one breather in the engine bay area, you don't have the front actuator like the AT's do. I decided to relocate the breathers up high too, I would normally run all breathers inside the vehicle, but since the front is already in the engine bay. I decided to run the rear differential & Locker there too. I want to say this has been a collective effort by many on doing this Breather MOD.

I took quite some time to decide how I wanted to go about this mod. The major issue I had was the fact that I am not a fan of using barbed hoses or the red filter which Shadow-Warrior used. However, I saw ToledoFJ's post on how he purchased a kit which used pneumatic quick connect fittings. Having used them in the past for quite a bit of automation work I was sold that this was the way to go. These are air tight and less likely to leak than threaded or barbed connections. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the $200 price tag on the kit which Toledo had.

So I went about designing my on kit with manifold. It took quite some time to find and obtain all the parts for my design, but this is what I came up with.

The E-Locker ties into the Rear Diff 'T' and then is routed up to the jack compartment

The Transmission and Transfer Case are routed from the rear of the engine back along the passenger side frame and across the rear axle to the jack compartment.

The Manifold is mounted in the jack compartment and has a polyethylene breather (blue breather pictured) attached the the manifold which is vented to the atmosphere. I went with the polyethylene breather instead of the typical filters you see because it offers better filtration over the alternatives and makes drawing it water less likely.

I plan on putting silicone around the two grommets which the hoses go through to seal everything up. I may also add some heat shrink around each of the connects.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Nice solution. I plan on doing this at some point soon as well.

Looks like you did a great job on it. Very nice photos as well.

Do you have any info on the parts (cost/part#'s/MFG.) you could share?

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What temp is the pneumatic tubing good too?

-100°F to 175°F. It doesn't touch the engine or anything, so all you are concerned with is ambient temperature which doesn't reach this high. Heck my old Turbo Civic barely reached 190 degrees and that was with an open down pipe.

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
Nice looking setup you have there.....

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Beautiful job man.

:cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Very clean install. The heat shrink is a great idea because those little pneumatic fittings come loose pretty easily.

Can you tell us your source for the fittings ? Part numbers ? Cost of the extras your have ?

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Do you have any info on the parts (cost/part#'s/MFG.) you could share?
Great Job, very clean install. Do you have any info on the parts cost, part#'s, manufacturers' info. Thanks for posting, and in advance for the info.
GW
Can you tell us your source for the fittings ? Part numbers ? Cost of the extras your have ?
I don't have all the details as I was keeping track of everything on my work laptop which I left in the office this weekend. Basically I'm planning on making it a kit like CruiserLarry's dual battery kit or the 'bandi' mount. The main issue is I had to have a couple of the parts rapid prototyped (FDM) because they weren't available in the appropriate sizes. Luckily I've been able to bum extra space in the machine when they were running through some other people's orders at a place I used to intern.

·
Registered
178 Posts
very nice, and clean install. Much better than my got r' rigged mod. keep us updated on this kit idea i think putting it together for every one is a great idea.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just finished the install on Gregf's FJ. I didn't take any pictures, but the breathers on the 07's are more of a pain to get to than those on the 08's. Still worked without any issue on the 07 though!
It was great to finally meet you. The kit is very well thought out and clean. The install is very straight forward. GR8 KIT especially for the $$$. Thanks for all the help.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 391 Posts