Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting at a red light the other night, and I suddenly hear squealing tires behind me, and then "BAAM" I got rear ended.

First things first, I look over to my girlfriend in the passenger seat and confirm that she's okay, then I get out and check out the damage. The driver of the other car is okay, but I see that his hood is now in the shape of a triangle, most of this headlights are smashed, and his front grill is pushed in to the engine compartment....my FJ however has a few minor scratches next to the hitch, which absorbed the entire impact like a champ, that was all! A $75 plastic piece from toyota, a new rubber hitch cover and my FJ was brand new again. After the accident, my girlfriend told me that's she's never felt safer in a vehicle.

I'm thinking about putting a boxing glove in the hitch receiver, incase anyone else wants to take a shot at the champ. :fight:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a boxing glove in the hitch receiver, incase anyone else wants to take a shot at the champ. :fight:
LOL
I've wanted to do that for years. Just never got around to it.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Sitting at a red light the other night, and I suddenly hear squealing tires behind me, and then "BAAM" I got rear ended.

Funny one. Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Glad you're OK! I like the idea of sliding a boxing glove onto the hitch!!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Amazing.. Glad everything is ok. I can't believe it didn't trash the bumper cover. I just barely contacted a suburban with the rear bumper cover and it crinkled it for $750 damage. Your hitch must have saved the day. Ron

First things first, I look over to my girlfriend in the passenger seat and confirm that she's okay, then I get out and check out the damage. The driver of the other car is okay, but I see that his hood is now in the shape of a triangle, most of this headlights are smashed, and his front grill is pushed in to the engine compartment....my FJ however has a few minor scratches next to the hitch, which absorbed the entire impact like a champ, that was all! A $75 plastic piece from toyota, a new rubber hitch cover and my FJ was brand new again. After the accident, my girlfriend told me that's she's never felt safer in a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Make sure your hitch is intact from the underside and check the bolts on it. Better safe than sorry. Unseen damage is the worst. Glad you and your girlfriend are OK!

·
Registered
112 Posts
glad everything is ok....just be careful because in my old SUV I rearended someone once and my jeep seemed fine at first but after a month or so I noticed a sag in the front bumper....just thought I'd let you know better to be safe than sorry!!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Your story sounds a lot like what happened to me last July. Our FJ was just two months old and we were going to TN to visit relatives. In Clarksville, TN a guy rear-ended us. I felt a bump... We were stopped at a light and he looked around to take a drink cup from his 4-year old daughter and hit us. The damage to the FJ was a torn hitch plug and a small scratch on the center of the bumper. His car suffered a large hole in the hood from my spare tire and hitch and a bumper that was totally damaged. Thankfully, no one was injured.

The FJ can take a hard hit with little to no damage.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
442 Posts
Amazing.. Glad everything is ok. I can't believe it didn't trash the bumper cover. I just barely contacted a suburban with the rear bumper cover and it crinkled it for $750 damage. Your hitch must have saved the day. Ron
I was just telling the wife I saw a SUB Urban that had rear ended a PU 200 series, and half of the engine compartment was squished into itself. The PU had a dent on the bumber.

Lets start putting steel bumpers on our rears, there is NO match.

Glad to hear that FJ occupants and others involved are OK.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Do you have a claim filed with his insurance company? Just to be safe, I would have a quality body shop put the FJ on a frame rack and take all measurements. Your frame could have been tweaked slightly. Make sure you get all your $$$ you have coming from the accident!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone is OK, also nice to know the FJ could take a hit like that!!!:bigthumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts