Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was googling "FJ" on my phone while waiting for the wife to come out of surgery. I came across a product review & it said "because of the weight of the FJ, owners can expect to replace the brake pads fairly often", I have close to 15,000 miles on my '07, & no problems what-so-ever, & I'm tough on brakes. It's on the gas or on the brakes, no in between. Anyone out there having any such problems?? Just woundering.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
15K here on an 07 and no problems.
I am going in for my 15K service though today or next week, and they will inspect the pads too for me.

I do not believe half the garbage some sites and magazines say about the FJ.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I had lots of pad left at the 20,000 service.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
45,000 miles and I still have half my pads left. That is a bunch of %#[email protected] about the brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Yeah, that is the problem with some auto enthusiast magazines.
In order to tell them how stupid and incorrect the article is, you have to write in via email or snail mail, and then they do not have to publish your letter in the magazine.

Here on a forum that can be accessed by anyone, we can tell the magazine how stupid and wrong they are and get away with it, and get the "real" info out where it belongs :D

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
59,000 miles on my FJ and getting close to needing new brake pads for the first time. I also have tires that are about 27 lbs heavier than the OEM tires (each) so I would have to say that the information that you received was not good information.

·
Registered
104 Posts
@ 30,000km i was told by my dealer that i have 70% left on the front. Impressive i must say for an OEM brake pad. When i bought my trailblazer 6 years ago the OEM pads only lasted 21,000km

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Those would be the automotive magazines that thought the YUGO was a good economical car.
I had a funny saying for that car..... " you go, car stays" my friend had one that was always broken down..

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
40,000 mi and still have original breaks... that's 90% going up and down mountains hittin breaks... heavier tires...bigger rack (the cars not mine :rofl:) and alot of loaded emergency gear..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just turned 50k and have about 1/2 pads left on the front and over 1/2 on the rear. I know some people are very hard on brakes and go through them fast. You can tell who they are when they apply their brakes 1/4 mile from the light.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I had a funny saying for that car..... " you go, car stays" my friend had one that was always broken down..
That right there is funny!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I was googling "FJ" on my phone while waiting for the wife to come out of surgery. I came across a product review & it said "because of the weight of the FJ, owners can expect to replace the brake pads fairly often", I have close to 15,000 miles on my '07, & no problems what-so-ever, & I'm tough on brakes. It's on the gas or on the brakes, no in between. Anyone out there having any such problems?? Just woundering.
when i google, i get back sites telling me that taking some vitamin supplement will make my whang ten times bigger, give me a 200,000 a year salary from the comfort of my home, and sell me some clearly illegal/bootlegged items.

the interwebs are full of 'tards.

altho, if you start to circuit race with the thing, expect your brakes to warp and your pads to explode after less than a few hundred miles.

·
C4B_Rocks
766 Posts
I just got the service done on my fj and I got about 45% left on my front pads and 65% on the rear and I have 20K miles damn I must of been pressing the brakes....lol I just recently slowed down on driving fast with the FJ, I now drive like a regular person on the highway and street.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
The FJ isn't all that heavy (~4,300 lbs stock). My HD pickup weighs over 7,000 lbs empty. I really don't know what they are talking about and apparently neither do they.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Auto will wear faster than Manual Tranny due to driving styles as most with manual will use transmission to slow down and such...but with Auto it has to be brakes as you cant coast to a complete stop....but see no worries with pads at all....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.