Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not that the computer nanny let's you get away with much.
The computer nanny IS the problem, needs to be in 4wd (obviously) with DSC off, otherwise you can’t throttle correct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Our very own @amaclach in this video shows how use this system properly. His other videos on the subject are useful as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
978 Posts
The computer nanny IS the problem, needs to be in 4wd (obviously) with DSC off, otherwise you can’t throttle correct

Oh I see, we've got Ken Block over here. You can't change the fact the FJ is a short wheelbased barge of a vehicle with an insanely high CG. Very much the opposite of what you want in the snow. AT tires are nearly useless in snow/ice. The traction nanny keeps most people in line, where they'd likely understeer off the side of the hill in 4hi with the vsc off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh I see, we've got Ken Block over here. You can't change the fact the FJ is a short wheelbased barge of a vehicle with an insanely high CG. Very much the opposite of what you want in the snow. AT tires are nearly useless in snow/ice. The traction nanny keeps most people in line, where they'd likely understeer off the side of the hill in 4hi with the vsc off.
Cute. Look, I will concede that most people are likely uncoordinated, fat footed and slow to correct, in or out of a vehicle, but that doesn’t change the fact that VSC on is dangerous, as it completely disables the vehicle’s ability to throttle correct in a scenario where you absolutely need to. To be clear, I am not suggesting turning off VSC when cruising down the interstate at 60+mph in variable conditions, but when going up and down steep switchback mountain roads in heavy and or packed snow and ice, you better believe I actually want to be able to easily rotate the vehicle when necessary. Your nanny isn’t going to do anything but ensure your hands are tied. You don’t have to be Ken Block to have some control over your tool, it’s called experience and anyone can get it.

But if it makes you feel safe to let the computer determine where and which direction you continue to go, feel free to hand over the reigns and pray it takes care of you. Or, you could learn how to handle that big heavy pig with high CG vehicle of yours like you should, it’s not that difficult.

I’ve passed plenty of X’s, Q’s and G’s on the way up to my place in the mountains in a heavy snow who’s overconfidence in their nannies that have let them down, but you do you.

Oh and understeer off the side of a hill or into the ditch? That’s EXACTLY what VSC will help you do, maybe you should rethink your illustration.

·
Admin
7,329 Posts
In 4Lo all the nannies turn off.... including ABS.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Listen Holmes, you're trying to turn this from someone stating an opinion that the FJ is a poor snow vehicle into a driving skills debate. No one said "You're a bad snow driver." Personally I don't rely on the VSC jesus to take the wheel ever and have a deep disdain for the system in general. I said it will keep most people safe. People whom don't have vehicle handling skills to dorifto to safety. (like my girlfriend..) No it's not going to save you from driving too fast for conditions but it will correct most minor mistakes/hiccups.

Having lived in the North and snowboarded nearly the entirety of my life I have driven a multitude of vehicles in snow. Given the choice the FJ would be on the bottom of the list of vehicles I would choose to make the trip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Listen Holmes, you're trying to turn this from someone stating an opinion that the FJ is a poor snow vehicle into a driving skills debate. No one said "You're a bad snow driver." Personally I don't rely on the VSC jesus to take the wheel ever and have a deep disdain for the system in general. I said it will keep most people safe. People whom don't have vehicle handling skills to dorifto to safety. (like my girlfriend..) No it's not going to save you from driving too fast for conditions but it will correct most minor mistakes/hiccups.

Having lived in the North and snowboarded nearly the entirety of my life I have driven a multitude of vehicles in snow. Given the choice the FJ would be on the bottom of the list of vehicles I would choose to make the trip.
Hey Chief, thanks for cleaning your opinion all up and great to hear you’re coordinated enough to drag your knuckles downhill and not put it in the ditch. Be sure to keep on lookout for my next gymkhana

·
Admin
7,329 Posts
That's enough bickering. Move on folks.

Reactions: flyingsod

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts

Reactions: FJCRUZA

·
Registered
254 Posts
All in jest, I’m also a knuckle dragger, been strapped to a single stick my entire life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
584 Posts
Living in snow country, the FJ is good in deep snow on sloppy backroads however for a snowy slippery commute I'll take my Audi quattro wagon 9 times outta 10... much more confidence in it than the FJ. But with the FJ I have far more options if somethings happens such as my winch and diff lock, and if someone wants to slide into me, I'd much rather be in my fully armored 'tank'.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just passed by what looks to be a sand storm that went off the road just after Beaver Creek going west slam through a fence...

Hopefully not anyone in here, no injuries I’m sure, but I bet that passenger side took some barbwire and a post or two

·
Registered
359 Posts
Overconfidence and 4x4 won't keep you from wrecking if you're going too fast... :LOL:
Down here we get "southern ice" and it will toss you no matter what you're driving unless you're one of the very few that have studs/chains.
Totally Agree. Having Snow-Rated tires helps a lot but when it comes to slippery and icy roads any Truck can slide off the road. When I lived out in the country we had to put our 4WD in Low (I call it Tank Mode) and put Chains on, and we'd still get stuck or slide if not careful. Good Advice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Living in snow country, the FJ is good in deep snow on sloppy backroads however for a snowy slippery commute I'll take my Audi quattro wagon 9 times outta 10... much more confidence in it than the FJ. But with the FJ I have far more options if somethings happens such as my winch and diff lock, and if someone wants to slide into me, I'd much rather be in my fully armored 'tank'.
100% agree. I love my FJ and its an absolute blast that has taken us to some pretty remote areas we would have never gotten to without it. But if we're heading into snowy mountains roads we take the Audi. Their Quattro system is a fucking snowmobile compared to the FJ.

·
Registered
254 Posts
True, most iterations of Audi Quattro are fantastic in the snow, but tbh VW’s Haldex fwd based setup also kills it.
Our A8L 4.0tt is a beast in all conditions, the RS6 throws rooster-tails that piss off everyone behind you and the oldskool 5cyl urS6 wagon is an absolute unstoppable tank with the Torsen center and rear locking diff. Love them all, but the FJ is the board hauler now

·
Admin
7,329 Posts
It's snowing now... snowfall warning in effect.... perfect evening to head out with the wife on a date in the FJ ?

Reactions: CabinCruiser

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
52 Posts
Hi, have my FJ for second winters in NYC and never have a chance to see how react on snow. Ready with Nitro tires .Let's got some snow and got fun.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts