Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
re: FJX2000's Wheeling Trips & Adventures Thread

Nice! Great photos, Hayden! Looks like I missed out on another fun UT meetup at another place I haven't been to yet. It's been a busy year and winter for me; I spent all day Sunday wrapping up a big side project. One of these days I'll get to meet you guys!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #102

Hey all! For my 4000th post I wanted to do do something special so here are some of my favorite pictures from over the years! Enjoy!

March 2012 - Riding around The San Juan Trail near The Twist near Bluff, UT

May 2012 - Riding with my neighbor and friend on the Willow Divide Trail near Dunton, CO

July 2012 - Coming down the Steps of Black Bear Pass at FJ Summit No. 6

July 2012 - Black Bear Pass at FJ Summit No. 6

August 2012 - Running Rattlesnake Trail at 5-Mile Pass

April 2013 - Running Hell's Revenge in Moab, UT

April 2013 - Posing on the Rattlesnake Trail

May 2013 - Flexing on Hell's Revenge at Cruise Moab

May 2013 - Going through The Crack on Elephant Hill located in Canyonlands National Park for Cruise Moab

May 2013 - Running the San Juan Trail near the Twist again with a buddy

July 2013 - Posed at the top of Black Bear Pass during FJ Summit No. 7

March 2016 - Little Moab

April 2016 - Driving Kane Creek Canyon at the Easter Jeep Safari

July 2016 - La Plata Canyon

July 2016 - Posing at the Spot on Imogene Pass at FJ Summit X

July 2016 - Coming up Poughkeepsie Gulch at FJ Summit X

November 2016 - Coming down the rocks at Little Moab

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

You've had some great adventures Hayden! Are those tires 33x12.5 on your black FJ?

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I've enjoyed seeing your adventures. Hope to see many more.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

You've had some great adventures Hayden! Are those tires 33x12.5 on your black FJ?

Yep, 305/70R16 which is the eqivilent to a 33x12.50R16

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Looks great. Did they fit where a 285/70/17 sized tire fit, or did they require a BMC and/or more lift? I really like the look.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Sorry all that I haven't been out playing with the FJ in a long time! Like 3 months now! I am starting to itch and want to get on the trails pretty badly. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Looks great. Did they fit where a 285/70/17 sized tire fit, or did they require a BMC and/or more lift? I really like the look.
A 285/70R17 is a good solid 33" tire you don't really have to make bmcs for or anything unless you add a wheel spacer or have wheels with offset or whatever. But with 305/70R16s (on the TRD wheels) they will rub on the front side of the factory UCA at full lock so you can do 2 things, either get a lower profile aftermarket UCA or get wheel spacers. I ended up getting wheel spacers, however with wheel spacers you'll definitely need to do the bmc if you haven't already. Just what I learned from my experience/other's experience.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Well I am back from FJ Summit 2017 and wanted to post some of my photos! On Thursday night I arrived after a long day of work on the railroad and then on Friday I was a trail leader for the photo run on California/Corkscrew!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Photos from Black Bear Pass on my Saturday run! Pretty rad, we had a Voodoo FJ with a solid axle swap in my group and the group behind us also had an FJ with a SAS! Was so cool to see in person!

But because my group was moving a little too slow for me I actually decided to go on alone from the pass. Was pretty fun actually! Had my parents with me which was a good time.

And then that night we got an awesome rainbow!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Then on Sunday for the group photo I secured the same spot I have had the last 3 FJ Summits, front right corner!

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Great pics from Summit Hayden! It was nice finally getting to meet you at the Colorado FJC BBQ on Friday. :rocker:

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Great pics from Summit Hayden! It was nice finally getting to meet you at the Colorado FJC BBQ on Friday. :rocker:
Great meeting you too! I wondered if we would ever brush shoulders! It was fun meetinf other folks from the forum as well for the firsr time as well as reaquaint with folks I haven't seen for some time!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Had a fun time yesterday going off-roading with some of my college mates! Was their first time wheeling so I made sure they had a good time! This was my shake-down run do test the recent install of my new Moog LCAs and the recent welds I had done to my lower cam tabs.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Went off-road last weekend with my cousin @Jager212 and with fellow forum member @shrdnar. Jager212 had his Sandstorm FJ with its recent addition of a ToyTec/Bilstein 3" lift and Shrdnar had his new FJ80 which he was taking on its maiden off-road voyage to test how it would do, specifically if the CB system was working. It was my first time wheeling with both these guys and it was going great but unfortunately Shrdnar's steering pump line disconnected while we headed up Lake Mountain via Israel Canyon so he didn't make it to the top with us, but that is what test runs are for! Upon getting to the top it was super cold and windy! But the road wasn't bad at all (a little muddy and slick) and there was a tiny bit of snow at the top.

And then in the end we got some awesome burgers at Seven Brothers!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Well another FJ Summit has come and gone. So here are the photos and YouTube video to prove it!

Day one, my cousin and I arrived and after registering and before going to the evenings events, we did a speed run up Yankee Boy Basin. We made it up and back in just over 2 hours! First time for me doing it, or at least first time in many years, very nice run!

On day two, Thursday, I was signed up to run on the first Black Bear Pass run of the day. Usually my family's tradition has been to run it on Saturday, but after realizing how congested the trails are and Telluride is on Saturday and how annoying it is to be caught behind other groups, we decided to run it earlier in the week and first thing in the morning. However, only I was able to sign up for the trail, and my uncle and cousin with their FJs weren't able to get in. We showed up to our meet-up location but finding no more room in the trail run for the 2 additional rigs, we headed off on our own 3 person run ahead of the other group! My cousin is the one in the Sandstorm FJ, and his forum name is @Jager212. He is actually driving my uncle's old FJ since he bought the red 2012 Trail Teams. My uncle is @Uncle2FJX2000 and this was his 2nd Summit. Technically it was my cousin's 2nd too, but he rode with me back in 2013 I believe so this was his first time with his own FJ.

This was also my first Summit with my new DJI Mavic Pro drone! I was able to get some sweet pictures and video!

After Black Bear Pass and lunch in Telluride, we decided to come back via Last Dollar Road. Another trail I hadn't ever done and one I was excited to do vs Ophir Pass since we would be running Ophir the following day.

On day 3, Friday, I trail led an Imogene Pass run. Only 3 people from the run actually showed up, and then my cousin tagged along too. My uncle and aunt were also running Imogene on a women's-only trail run ahead of us, so we met up with them in Telluride. It was sure nice only having 5 rigs in our group, as it made managing everyone and getting photos and video at "The Spot" a very streamlined experience. Be sure to check out my YouTube videos to see how it came out!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
More from FJ Summit on Imogene Pass!

I didn't really take any photos that were worth while on Ophir but the following day, Saturday, I led a California Pass/Corkscrew Gulch run. However things got a bit messy. After asking one of the Summit directors which way to run the trail just for confirmation on the route, they said to go up Corkscrew Gulch, towards California Pass, and out to Silverton via Animas Forks. I was excited since I had never run these trail in this direction! But I think the director may have gotten "Cali/Corkscrew" and "Gulches" runs mixed up as I discovered on the trail that we were sort of clogging up some of The Gulches runs. But in the end it all worked out and everyone had a great time! Fun fact, @Winterpeg was on the run too! I actually ran into quite a few forum members at the Summit! And some people knew of me from my YouTube channel, others through my Instagram, or even Facebook, though I had no idea who they were. Crazy how social media is now-a-days!

After spending some time in Silverton, and getting this awesome photo, capturing to of my favorite things in one photo, we headed up the Clear Lake Trail for my dad to do some fishing. (Fun fact: for those who don't know, I actually work on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad as a brakeman and fireman.)

101 - 120 of 148 Posts