Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #121

Then finally, on the last morning of the Summit after the raffle was all said and done, I had to ensure I got my front corner spot for the group photo, notice that my uncle and cousin also got in!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Hayden, I always loved watching your FJ videos before, but I have to say, the Mavic has taken your video production over-the-top! I loved this vid!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
Me too! Thanks man! The drone sure has turned out to exceed my expectations!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hayden, I always loved watching your FJ videos before, but I have to say, the Mavic has taken your video production over-the-top! I loved this vid!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree! Hayden has some of the best FJ action videos on YouTube. Hope I get the chance to wheel with him sometime in the future. Keep the vids coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
We had a great time meeting and talking with you at the dinner. Hopefully next year we'll be able to be on a trail with you.

Cheers.
Wonderful meeting you guys too! Such a small world in the FJ community! Would be sweet to run with you someday.

Totally agree! Hayden has some of the best FJ action videos on YouTube. Hope I get the chance to wheel with him sometime in the future. Keep the vids coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate! :bigthumb:

And speaking of YouTube videos, here is my video from yesterday's Labor Day trail run up American Fork Canyon on the Forest Lake Trail.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Another video using the DJI Mavic Pro, but this is from this past FJ Summit! Check out Black Bear Pass!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Just got back from Spring break where my family visited a bunch of the Utah National Parks! We spent the most time in Arches but also visited Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, and Zion! It was a beautiful and fun trip! And I was able to sneak a little off-roading in while visiting Arches. We did the Tower Arch trail!

It was pretty cool but if I could do it again, I would do it the north direction FROM Balancing Rock so that way you get to go UP the tough obstacles rather than the opposite direction where you go down.

Here are just a few pictures! It was nice cuz a large Jeep group from Colorado was also on the trail and they let me join into their group as code-name "Ghost Rider". :lol: A very nice group of folks!

Saw this big SAS FJ at the entrance for Arches and I've actually wheeled with this rig on Black Bear Pass at the FJ Summit!

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,493 Posts
Just got back from Spring break where my family visited a bunch of the Utah National Parks! We spent the most time in Arches but also visited Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, and Zion! It was a beautiful and fun trip! And I was able to sneak a little off-roading in while visiting Arches. We did the Tower Arch trail!

It was pretty cool but if I could do it again, I would do it the north direction FROM Balancing Rock so that way you get to go UP the tough obstacles rather than the opposite direction where you go down.

Here are just a few pictures! It was nice cuz a large Jeep group from Colorado was also on the trail and they let me join into their group as code-name "Ghost Rider". :lol: A very nice group of folks!

Man it sounds like a challenge to me! I’ll be in Moab a week before the Summit, give me or Deb a ring.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
This past Saturday CruiserGear posted up about a scavenger hunt where Blake left a goodie box near the south end of Utah Lake at the base of West Mountain where a lot of folks go shooting and stuff. I saw it on social media and right after work decided to go find it. Unfortunately someone had already beaten me to it, but I then just off-roaded around the area on West Mountain and had a good time! Met some nice folks who were in a Jeep and they decided to take the normal dirt road that winds up the mountain. Meanwhile I noticed a trail that looked steep but takes you straight up the mountain... so I went that way! In my mind I was racing the Jeep to the top but they didn't realize it. I definitely had to go into 4Lo to do this climb and it would have been a whole lot smoother and easier had I aired down, but with the aid of A-TRAC and the rear locker at one point, I flew up the mountain as quick as possible and when they got to the top the Jeep folks were so confused on how I could've gotten there since last they saw me, I was behind them!

Fun times were had. There was a snow drift still across the road that prevented us from getting to the very top. I tried to drive through but it was to thick and slippery, and with it being on a precarious slope, I opted out of gunning it. The Jeep folks decided to try it since I offered to help if they got stuck. Well they didn't get stuck necessarily but I did get to use the winch to rescue them from almost sliding off the mountain!

It was a beautiful evening and the sunset was awesome! Need to go up there again!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
FJ Summit 13 - Done! Here are the photos from the trip. Good times were had, and it was fun to run some new trails and to see new and familiar faces.

Wednesday:

So I got ready in the morning, packed my things, washed the FJ, and headed for Ouray to get signed in. Arrived around 11 and after sign-in I met up with a friend of mine from work in Durango who also happens to drive an FJ. We both love railroad history so we hiked along a trail in the Red Mountain Mining Area to a famous railroad landmark of yesteryear known as the Corkscrew Gulch Turntable.

But then that night around dinner time I found our that one of the night runs was missing a trail leader, and since I didn't have anything going on that night I ended up leading the Imogene Pass night run! Due to the amount of snow this year, almost all the trail runs at the summit were rerouted or changed to accommodate the Summiters in the best way possible and with our Imogene run we could only go as far as the valley below the poser rock with all the mining tailings. The pass was still blocked with snow! We had to turn around and head back. It was actually one of my favorite runs and was my first time leading a nights run as well as being on a night run in general! We started out with 5 rigs but ended up with a 6th when one person in our group joined us at the top of our run. Because it was night time and there had just been a full day of warm sunshine melting snow, the water crossings were absolutely epic! The deepest I've ever gone for sure and it made me very happy I have a snorkel.

Thursday:

On Thursday morning I was originally scheduled to lead a trail run up the newly added trail, Sydney Basin. But with the increased snow pack, Sydney was blocked, so we instead were rescheduled to run Imogene Pass on the Ouray side. We would then go up to the Red Mountain Mining Area and explore the mines. We had 6 vehicles on this run for the Imogene part of the ride and luckily we didn't have many traffic issues since were were only the second trail run of the day. By the time we went to Red Mountain we only had 4 rigs, but it was a nice, straightforward run!

Saw a cow and calf moose while on the run but couldn't get a picture of both, the bushes were too tall and thick.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
After the finish of the trail run I decided to go to Silverton for lunch and to check out the train (that I work on) and explore around.

I actually did a water crossing in Silverton that was WAY deeper than I was expecting and when I traveled back through it my loose factory oil pan skid caught on something and got pretty well bent! Luckily some forum members were around at Summit HQ and helped me bend it back and reinstall it. (Thanks ILove KEtchup and Jamesepoop!)

Friday:

On Friday my run was supposed to be Black Bear Pass, but due to blockages it was reassigned to be a run up Imogene on the Telluride side and then back on Ophir Pass. I had no real desire to go up this side of Imogene so my parents and I rode across Ophir to Telluride by ourselves since I wasn't leading the run and after a lunch at Brown Dog Pizza we came back via Last Dollar Road. The snow cuts on Ophir were impressive!

Here are the shots from Last Dollar, we saw a HUGE herd of elk as well!

One of the funny things about this day was from the minute we began driving there was an odd rattling sound that kept getting worse and worse. I figured it had to be the skid plate we had reinstalled since that was the only thing I changed from the day before. So as we rode Last Dollar it drove me so crazy I took the skid off on the trail, only to discover the rattling was still there! Turned out that 2 of the 3 nuts that hold up the heat shield above the muffler had broken through so the heat shield was barely hanging on by resting on the muffler. That was the cause of so much constant rattling. So with the addition of some washers to the nuts the heat shield was re-secured and all was well.

Saturday:

For this day my original run was supposed to be the Northern Gulches, and once again due to snow it was reassigned to be the Rimrocker Trail, a trail I had never heard of before! Apparently it is essentially a series of off-highway roads extending from Montrose to Moab that are labeled as the Rimrocker Trail, and we did about half of the trail in total it felt like. I found out the night before that there were originally 3 runs scheduled but due to the flakeiness of Saturday trail runs and that I was the only assigned trail leader, they combined the 3 runs into one. We ended up starting the day with 12 rigs so really not too bad for three runs combined, but by the time we reached Ridgway to fuel up we were down to 11 rigs. It was a little bit of a drive to the trailhead near Montrose but we quickly realized this part of the "trail" was essentially a scenic drive. Or for me it was at least, because once we hit the National Forest roads it became very very dusty, especially on the Houser Cutoff we took. I felt bad for the others in the group who got super dusted out, but it was a really neat drive. Especially since my dad and I have actually hunted in this exact area!

Once we reached Nucla, we took a bathroom break and lost another rig who didn't find the dusty roads exciting enough for their time. Which was really a shame because the next part of the trail was most of our folks' favorite section!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
After Nucla the roads became a lot more like Moab where it was sort of desert-like 2-track roads. And in some places there were even some hills where putting the rig in 4Lo was the best way to go and there were little creek crossings that were entertaining.

It was a bit of a drive back from the end of the run and by this point there were only 8 rigs left in the group but it turned out to be a neat trail that I wouldn't mind finishing someday. Great for an overlanding trip. But not the most ideal option for the FJ Summit due to the drive. We stopped at "The Ballpark" for lunch and then that night we had the famous raffle, and I actually finally won something after 6 years of Summiting! I got a back of recovery gear!

Sunday:

I once again woke up at an abnormally early hour so I could get my favorite front left corner spot! (The same spot I've been in for the past 5 years) Glad I got some drone shots!

And then on the way home I took pictures in this super scenic spot!

A fun Summit overall and I look forward to the future Summits to come!

·
Registered
914 Posts
We weren't in Ouray for long, but we saw you early in the week - probably when you pulled into town. (Red FJ stock w/ gold Iowa plates)

Great pics - thanks for sharing.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
121 - 140 of 144 Posts