Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend and I have been wanting to get together for a few days of camping, photography and ham radio. I am in the 4 Corners, he is in Coeur D'Alene, so a few hours drive for both of us. We are thinking of this spring, maybe the next few weeks before it gets too hot. If not then this fall.

Has anyone been there? Any advice? We would like to be a bit away from most people, but that has its drawbacks. Toilets, a store to get ice, etc.

We want to set up some sort of antenna, a long wire between trees maybe. Or some way to set up something else. My friend often talks with people in east Asia. I'm not so much about yaking with others, but more the technical stuff. We will have a 100 watt setup, powered by my secondary battery. I have a 10 meter dipole which would also work with my mobile FT-8900 which is 50 watts.

Advice welcome, as well as anyone who wants to join us. I don't know where we want to be. I worked there with a seismic crew in the 80s. Based out of Rock Springs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I traveled around there quite a bit. Explored the John Brown Canyon area SE of Flaming Gorge twice. Lots of history and great paddling on the Green. Up around the reservoir it’s pretty crazy with boaters and RVs. I briefly visited the west side of the lake and found it pretty quiet with lots of open camping right on the shore. There were bathrooms at the boat ramp but little else. I would guess the PWC and ATVs could be bothersome on weekends. Might be interested depending on when you do this.

Ace

This photo shows that the west shore is not as steep and has more options to camp on or near the shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been fishing there quite a few times, always starting out on the west side going in from the town of Green river Wyoming. On the north end of the lake is a road called Lost Dog road. Lots of lake access and camping. It will start getting busy in a couple of weeks but even when I've camped there in the summer it hasn't felt too crowded. There is a lot of boat traffic and ATV/dirt bike traffic on the weekends. The nice thing is your only about 20 minutes from Green River if you need supplies.
Your not to far from some sand dunes (North of Rock Springs). I've never been to them but I know some folks that like to go out there and play.
Probably be a great time to go in the next couple of weeks. Weather should be warm but not to hot. Keep in mind it is Wyoming and the temperature swings in the shoulder seasons can be pretty interesting. Went to bed in September one year, was about 65 when the sun went down. Woke up with frost on everything and ice in the shallow water.
It's a beautiful place though.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
You can Camp several places all around the Gorge from where it turns into the reservoir from the Green River at the north end to the dam at the south end. A lot of places are primitive with no toilets or anything that I know of. Some of the areas like where the marinas and some main campgrounds nearby will have them along with places to buy ice and supplies.

The NW side is near Green River to the north and the Buckboard Marina to the south end of that section. The SW section has the Lucerne Marina and the a few miles south there's the town of Manila, UT. Going farther south from Manila about 10 miles or so you'll come to the Sheep Creek area. To the west close to the highway is a campground nestled in the trees and the start of the Sheep Creek Geological Loop that you can drive. On it you can see the twisted lines of the different layers of rock over billions of years. It goes into a canyon a couple of miles and then climbs up on top of the mountain and ends up meeting up with the highway again. Several different rock formations in the canyon too. There are also mountain sheep that can be seen on the cliffs, the road, or near the road at times and wild turkeys.

To the left of the highway and a 1/2 mile or so down the road is another campground in the trees and then the Sheep Creek boat ramp which was just a ramp and a flat parking area the last time I was there. This is a scenic area of the Gorge. From there the highway climbs up the mountain passed an overlook and the road for the Geological Loop and away from the Gorge a bit.

At the top of the loop there is a dirt road that takes off to the south and also runs west. I've posted several photos over the years from up there and this is in the Uinta Mountains. The dirt road going to the south from there goes down into a canyon passed several side roads and primitive camping areas to the Deep Creek Campground right next to the Creek. It climbs back out from there passing more roads and primitive camps and eventually meets the highway.

Driving on the highway still you'll be heading towards a junction and along the way there are several camps and roads that head towards the Gorge. I haven't been on most of them and the ones I have been on go to overlooks on the cliffs above the water.

When you hit the junction you take the road to the dam. This road runs across the south end getting back down to areas where you are near the water again. There is a small "resort" area with a restaurant, store, campground, motel/cabins, and gas station. A bit farther down the road are more campgrounds and then you will come to the bridge and then a short distance farther the dam.

The highway climbs up away from the dam and you will pass more campgrounds and then you'll come to the little town of Dutch John. This will be the place to get supplies for the SE section of the Gorge.

From here you will climb up a bit and pass more campgrounds and these are short drives from the highway. Eventually you'll come to the border with WY. Just down the road from the sign are a couple of houses and then a road. This road runs up and down over the hills along the east side of the Gorge with roads going towards the water in several places and in a couple of spots you will only be maybe 100 yards or so from the water. Most of the land on this side of the Gorge is sand/dirt with sagebrush and the small cedars/pinion typical of the high desert. Near the water there are taller willow type bushes and a few rare Aspens.

Up towards the NE section there is another campground right at the end of the reservoir and the river at Little Firehole. It can be reached by staying on the highway and then turning at the sign and driving a few miles. There are some primitive areas near there too. The closest place for supplies at this end is Rock Springs.

You can get an idea of the layout of the area by searching for the Flaming Gorge Recreational Area and then looking at Google Maps and following the edges of the Gorge on it and seeing the different roads. If you want to be in the trees I would stay down in the south end. Buckboard Marina also has an open area that is accessed by a road just before the Marina area that's called South Buckboard that has a few trees and is near the water. It just depends on the water level as it will flood out the road if it's high. If you want to be out in a more remote setting and alone and have a portable toilet then the north end would be good.

It's been awhile since I've been to some of the areas like the several on the west side so they may have toilets available at them now. I just don't know for sure.

You need to check the Flaming Gorge website too as they have a permit that's needed. They used to have a day or three day (can't remember) pass and a yearly pass. I know that the yearly pass is $20. Some of the parks passes can be used instead too. I got a pass when I retired out on disability that gets me into all National Parks and I think some National Monuments too for free and it works for the Gorge. I can't remember the name of it.

Another little drive if you like history and want to see a neat little area is the Browns Park area. You turn east off of highway 191 right at the border. You'll be on dirt for a short stretch and then pavement. The road heads sort of SE and you'll pass near the Three Corners area which is where WY/CO/UT meet. Then a little farther and you'll come to the John Jarvie Historical Ranch Site. It has some original and some replica buildings and things from when the site was built. John built a small store and had a blacksmiths shop along with a ferry across the Green River here. He was the only source of supplies for many miles. He lived in a dugout in the bank with his wife at first. There are a couple of graves on the nearby hill too. It was also on the outlaw trail. Several outlaws including Butch, Sundance, Kid Curry and others of the Wild Bunch frequented the area. If the law from one state was after you, go a little ways over and be in one of two other states.

Farther along the road there is a Wildlife Refuge with a drive along and above the river with info signs, a suspension bridge that is one of only like two left of its kind that was built across the river in either 1901 or 1911. There's an old school house that is still used as a meeting hall today and it has a graveyard by it with several old graves from the 1800s. A couple of old cabins ruins are there too and over the hill are the remaining buildings of the Three Bar Ranch which was owned by a rich cattle rancher that didn't want anyone else raising cattle in the area and hired guys to force them to sell out or they killed them. Tom Horn was one of the hired guns.

Over the suspension bridge and up a narrow canyon are some remains of the old ranch owned by sometimes outlaw sometimes lawman Matt Warner.

Just down the road from the Jarvie place is a campground and then down the main road there are a couple of primitive spots right next to the river. There is also a campground at the east and west ends of the Wildlife Refuge river road I mention later and then going east through the area there is another one at the Gates of Lodore which is where the Green River enters the canyons on its way down to the dinosaur areas in CO and UT.

At the east end of Browns Park there is a road that heads north to Irish Canyon. At the mouth there is a wide spot with a viewing area of some Indian rock drawings thought to be from the Fremont Indians. This area is also the beginning of the Uinta Mountain Range that runs from east to west to its other end near Salt Lake City. The road runs north and becomes highway 430 and leads to Rock Springs.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
The weather was mentioned so I figured I would give you an idea of what it's like here now. Rock Springs has been in the 50s-60s with lows from 30-40 the last few days and for the forecast of the next week. Both Dutch John and Manila, UT are more like 35-45 for lows and a little bit warmer for the highs. Some rain the last week and more in the forecast for all areas.

Biggest problem with the rain is the roads as they get slick and muddy as some are on clay. Some roads are still really muddy from the spring thaw too which is still going on as there are still some areas with a bit of snow. In fact the mountains around Green River and Rock Springs got a bit of snow just in the last week again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts