Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a 2010 FJ and i noticed a very slight noise behind the steering wheel. Kind of a tapping noise above 40mph. After some internet investigation, someone had a same problem and said it was the mud guard that shields the engine from inside the wheel well. I looked at it and the flap is kinda lose, like maybe the grommets are not tight. I got some duct tape and sealed up the ends of it and the noise went away. Later i went on a 2000 mile road trip and at the last 100 miles of the trip during crazy strong winds, a very loud tapping noise similar to the first problem started happening, but this time coming from the right side. Well i taped that up too and the sound went away for a bit, but its still there. I'm pretty sure the duct tape just isn't holding it.

Does anyone have any ideas how i can fix this? Maybe get new grommets? super glue? more duct tape? Pull the damn thing off?

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
G'day,
Are the clips disengaging completely or it is just like a sail with some slack in it. @NestahEdition did a mod replacing the original clips with a stronger anchoring system, but I can't remember if it was bolted or just a bigger stronger clip.
would not be hard to find a coupla nylon bolts to fit and anchor it stronger.... but it may not prevent the flapping from occurring.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
G'day,
Are the clips disengaging completely or it is just like a sail with some slack in it. @NestahEdition did a mod replacing the original clips with a stronger anchoring system, but I can't remember if it was bolted or just a bigger stronger clip.
would not be hard to find a coupla nylon bolts to fit and anchor it stronger.... but it may not prevent the flapping from occurring.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
I replaced the engine splash guards with 1/16" thick butyl rubber sheet and used this Nissan plastic clips to tightly secure them.

Nissan Cowl, Bumper & Fender Liner Push-Type Retainer

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
g'day,
If its flapping, try tightening it by punching a new whole thru the rubber sheet, and make it tighter. Unclip the top fastener, draw it tight, mark the position of where the new hole needs to be. Remove the sail from the chassis... punch an new hole, refit ....
they do serve a purpose, so I would not just remove it and leave it open, unless you want more crap flying up from the wheels onto your engine.
Cheers
Baz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.