Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Yesterday i went up in the hills skiing and as i approached the ski area, the snow / ice was enough to warrant 4wd. and i put it in.. no problem. at the end of the day as i got ready to leave, i took it out of 4wd (high, not low). did the same thing i always do - push the lever from 4wd to 2wd. as happens sometimes, the green indicator lights did not immediately go off but eventually they did.

the problem is that when i went to go from 4wd to 2wd, a saw a NEW light i'd never seen before (to the right of the green "wheels" light and below the temp gauge) which as the same symbol as the green "wheels" light, but flashing red.

as of now, it's STILL flashing red when i drive and i can't get it to stop. for a while yesterday when driving i tried reingaging 4wd high and the shifter seemed "loose" and not engaging. as of now, it does engage, but the light is still flashing.

i've gone through the owner's manual, but i can't find any reference to the red flashing light. before i go running off to toyota to pay them a bunch of $$, does anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
657 Posts
As was said, that's the indicator for the electric rear locking differential. It flashes while trying to engare, and then stays on once it is engared. It's not supposed to engage in 2WD or 4Hi. It's only supposed to engage in 4Low. It is something you should use occasionally to prevent it from seizing. Your problem is perplexing because if it was stuck on, you should be getting all kinds of lights (VSC, etc.) In addition, it only engages below a certain speed. As the speed goes up past the limit it should disengage. One thing you might try is disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it and see if the computer resets properly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Glad you got that one figured out! When the red light flashes, that means your rear dif locker button has been pushed, but the locker is not engaged (in 2 wheel drive). When the light is solid red, the rear dif is locked. I believe you bas only lock the rear dif in 4 lo.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I was driving back from cleveland to dayton and stopped to get gas and must have hit mine. I was driving in 4 high maybe 40mph really snowy out cars off the road and saw it blinking. WTF but figured it out once I went back into 2x4. I figured there is only two action buttons before something is really screwed up and it was the RLD button.

Can we get some clarity on the RLD only in 4 lo? I guess it makes sense.
________
Paxil Injury Lawyer

·
Registered
104 Posts
Uhhhhhh thank gosh for this forum and the people on this forum! Just finished detailing the inside of the FJ and I guessed I pushed the button. Immediately started to panick and ran to this forum! Situation resolved!

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
As was said, that's the indicator for the electric rear locking differential. It flashes while trying to engare, and then stays on once it is engared. It's not supposed to engage in 2WD or 4Hi. It's only supposed to engage in 4Low. It is something you should use occasionally to prevent it from seizing. Your problem is perplexing because if it was stuck on, you should be getting all kinds of lights (VSC, etc.) In addition, it only engages below a certain speed. As the speed goes up past the limit it should disengage. One thing you might try is disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it and see if the computer resets properly.

Sounds like he hit the button while shifting out of 4hi to 2hi which will cause the light to blink if I recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had my FJ detailed and the next thing I notice is the flashing red 4x4 light. No information in the owners manual...this site save me time & money. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my emergency brake fixed and while driving back home I saw the flashing diff light. Even in 2020 this feed is relevant! Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts