Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a few minor mods:

Taking advantage of the little cubby hole in the lower driver's door, I mounted the DC charger for a rechargable Streamlight Stinger (a very powerful little flashlight).

Available from Galls for $89.95.
Streamlight® Stinger™ <BR>Standard Charge Flashlight - FL125 : Galls

It required removing the plastic door panel and routing the power wires through the door's wiring harness tunnel into the passenger compartment. (OMG, I've got hairy fingers. :scared: )

The positive (+) lead was connected via an Add-A-Circuit to a switched "accessory" fuse circuit. The ground (-) lead was connected to a mounting screw near the passenger compartment fuse box.

That way, the charger is drawing power only when the engine is on.

And, the Streamlight is easily accessible with the door open or closed.

Another flashlight, a full-sized MagLight, was mounted to the forward panel of "the Box" using the standard MagLight mount clips . . . . also very easily accessible from the driver's seat.

I also took advantage of the worthless space between the Passenger-Airbag light and the "mystery indicator" to mount a cell phone holder. Nothing more than a plastic belt-clip holder for my particular LG cell phone whose clip had broken off anyway. Two holes were drilled through the phone holder and mounted to the dash with a pair of 1/2" thick rubber spacers.

The phone now hangs out of the way (in perfect proximity to the AUX power receptacle), and it can be answered without removing it from the mount (hands-free mode).

And, to keep the groceries from scattering themselves throughout the rear cargo area, I used the tie-down hooks to secure a pair of color-keyed (Sun Fusion, of course :) ) plastic "milk crate" storage baskets. (Available from Target for $3.99 each.)

Even though the baskets are shown attached to "the Box," the factory tie-down hooks are located in the same place on the FJ's rear cargo floor. The securing devices are 5" turnbuckles and mini clevis shackles (available from Lowes or Home Depot).

When it's time to switch from urban grocery hauling to rigorous off-roading, the baskets are easily swapped out for a pair of Igloo Marine ice chests using the very same attachment points.

Well, that's it for now.

Tune in next time, when we look at how your inner fender body cracks can be used for improved engine compartment cooling and as a budget air induction system

Until then, keep on moddin' . . . . . . .

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
nice work!

·
Registered
944 Posts
cool stuff.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Really clean install.

I've been looking for those fuse box taps with the mini blade fuses. All the auto parts stores here and not one had that style. Even looked online. What store did you find them at? Or anyone who knows?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Thats a good ider for the grocery bags, mine slide all over the place no matter where I put them.

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
Steve great job. Very clean install. That mystery indicator is for the OEM alarm. That's the red flashing car icon.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Great job Steve, I like the stream light idea too. I use the Streamlight on my Glock .40. They are a great Tac light :)

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been looking for those fuse box taps with the mini blade fuses. All the auto parts stores here and not one had that style. Even looked online. What store did you find them at? Or anyone who knows?
I bought mine at both AutoZone here in the southeast, and Checker Auto out west. Typically well hidden in the bottom row in the electrical isle.

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
Thanks, all!! :) :)

Thanks, Bear. All this time I thought it was the engine bay body rip alarm, and I was wondering why mine hasn't gone off yet. :)
:bananahump-slvrathl :bananahump-slvrathl :bananahump-slvrathl :bananahump-slvrathl :bananahump-slvrathl LOL. Steve your always good for a laugh.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very nice!! I like the flash light idea I am looking for a good place to mount my mag-charger!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
very nice work on some clean functional mods...
hey are you having trouble with the bumper...anything I can do to help?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I bought mine at both AutoZone here in the southeast, and Checker Auto out west. Typically well hidden in the bottom row in the electrical isle.
I'll look harder at these stores, or see if they can order. Thanks!

And again, nice work, I too like the idea of the Streamlight charger, I may look to do this with my SureFire. One just went on a mount on my Carbine.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hey steve I finally got ahold of them....
word if maybe mid sept.....
I am thinking of offering up the gift cert for cash/trade here on the forum if nothing by mid/end sept....lots of mods I want to to and paper sitting doesn't make it happen :)
Glad the rear bumper worked out for ya...
I really like the style you are creating with your FJC

1 - 20 of 29 Posts