Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to gain some storage space in the back. I am thinking of removing the back seats and install a flat surface all the way from the back loading door up to the front seats.
(1) Is there a kit for this?
(2) Does the backrest come down until it's flat, if I remove the back seats?
Thank you, Federico

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm in the process of doing that with my FJ. I removed the back seats, the flooring, and the side trim panels. I insulated everything I could access with plastic-wrapped R-13 fiberglass batting and then put Fatmat Rattle Trap Extreme on all the metal surfaces. Then I put the side trim panels back and put carpet padding on the floor for extra thermal and acoustic insulation. Now I'm in the process of measuring and cutting the flooring. I'm using 2x3's for the base, since they are lighter than 2x4s but not as warped as 2x2's in the big box stores. Once the wooden floor frame is complete and bolted down to the rear tie down points and the holes where the back seats were I'll insulate in between the floor joists with something that won't mold if it gets wet, like maybe some minimal expanding spray foam for gaps and cracks. Then I'll use 1/2" marine grade plywood to make the actual flooring and cover it with utility carpet.

Once the floor is in place I'll put down some D rings to tie down cargo and then build a raised plywood platform on lightweight PVC legs that will be a sleeping platform for when I'm out doing multi-day runs in the FJ.

There are no kits that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Built this from some 2X10 and HDF in the rear portion with a 2X4 and HDF section for the front that is easily removable. I removed the seat bottoms but left the uppers in. I originally was going to do drawers but went with storage containers that I can swap out more easily than loading and unloading drawers. The rear section works with the back seats in place and the front section is in three pieces so with the front seats all the way forward I have a sleeping platform that goes all the way to the back of them. The whole thing comes out in about 10 minutes if needed. It's all carpeted black, the white mat on top is a nonslip mat for putting under area rugs that I use for keeping things from sliding around like the Costco run yesterday.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts