Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question. I have new "to me" 34x10.5R17 Interco Super Swampers with about 3500 miles on them. When I start out driving in the morning, it feels like there is a flat spot on at least one of the tires. Outside temps overnight are in the 40-45F area. This spot seems to go away after a few miles. I know that this is common on the tires on the aircraft that I fly, but I am not sure that this should be normal on a car tire.

Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Aren't they bias ply? That would explain it if they aren't, can't remember off the top of my head. If they're radials, probably just deform in the cold it happens especially with big offroad tires, had a set of 38 ltbs on a bronco and everytime we drove it the first few miles were liking riding on squares. It's probably just your crappy 1 wheeled driving anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Perfectly normal, not fun but normal. I run mine at 45 psi on the road and it doesn't seem to happen with that pressure. And, as mentioned above, if they are LTB's, the bias ply tires will do this much more/easier...

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only questioned it because it doesn't seem like they all do it. Just one, maybe two. I know they are notoriously hard to balance, but I wasn't sure if this was part of the bargain for having kick a$$ tires.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.... It's probably just your crappy 1 wheeled driving anyway.
I just caught that. Ahhhh.... the Poughkipse Gulch memories!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bias ply tires will commonly get that "flat spot" over night, especially when the temps start to drop. annoying, yes, but no cause for concern.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Perfectly normal, not fun but normal. I run mine at 45 psi on the road and it doesn't seem to happen with that pressure. And, as mentioned above, if they are LTB's, the bias ply tires will do this much more/easier...
x2

I run mine at 30 from a recommendation of a few local jeepers that run bias play swampers

The LTB's are bias ply and will most certainly develop a small flat spot over night. When you first start driving they will seem out of balance and as they warm they will become less shaky.

And i don't think a single one of my tires is perfectly balanced. I have some crazy steering wheel shake at certain speeds. I hope you are not running these every day :(

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, they are not Daily Drivers, thats what the BFGs are for. The previous owner did put dyna beads in them in addition to the balance weights, but I am not sure if there are enough dyna beads out there to balance them.

I also have some cracking occurring on what I use as the spare. The cracking is on either side of (front and back of) almost ever central lug. With less than 5k on them, do you think Interco would send me a new one? The date on the side of the tire says 1998.
x2

I run mine at 30 from a recommendation of a few local jeepers that run bias play swampers

The LTB's are bias ply and will most certainly develop a small flat spot over night. When you first start driving they will seem out of balance and as they warm they will become less shaky.

And i don't think a single one of my tires is perfectly balanced. I have some crazy steering wheel shake at certain speeds. I hope you are not running these every day :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts