Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Greetings from another New-B wanting to tow FJC AMT 4 down. So like some of the other posters have asked has anyone done that yet and if so how?
I'm thinking of Tow Dolly with surge brakes and disconnect rear drive shaft and no other expensive equipment required.:clap:
I do not know if you can flat tow it the same way as the 6MT, however RemCo makes a rear drive shaft disconnect for the Auto. With the disconnect and the Tcase in 2wd(H), you can flat tow an Automatic. Then you do not need a tow dolly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have talked about this severAl times towed an H2 for a few years but need to downsize that thing. So a couple of weeks ago bought 13 fj automatic read the manual before we bought it only 20 000 on it the manual says it can be towed 4 down in an emergency . We tested by puting the car in neutral transfer case in nutral turn off the engine you can pus the car with two fingers on flat surface. Decided to install battery cut off so it will not register miles etc . Got the blue ox on and give it a go I just will not mention to the car it's not an emergency thanks will let you know how it goes
Hi RJB545, Any news regarding your 4 down test with automatic and transfer case in "N"? I also have an 07 FJC with automatic and would like to tow it 4 down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tow my '11 4AT 4-down behind a Thor Outlaw. I installed the Remco DS disconnect and use a Blue Ox hitch/baseplate/etc. for everything else. So far no issues. I haven't done anything super long yet but am planning a cross-country trip in March.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quick update - No issues so far with the disconnect or anything else. I flat towed from my home in Sedona, AZ to the Thor factory in Elkhart, Indiana, and then to Downingtown PA (just outside of Philly). So around 2K miles so far for this trip and still need to get back home!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok we'll dust off an old thread here... with a variation on the theme... I've got an '07 FJ 6MT and an EZE-tow dolly because I also tow my Prius behind my motorhome at times. I've been dropping the rear driveshaft on the FJ and, of course, it tows fine... but that's getting tedious and I'm too cheap to buy a REMCO driveline disconnect for as infrequently as I really have to do this.

So, after reading this thread (and others) completely, it would appear that by merely shifting the transfer case to N, I engage the center differential which will not allow for dolly towing. It also appears that 2H with the trans in N WOULD allow for dolly towing, but potentially damage the trans by overheating it?

Have I misread something, or would it in fact, work to dolly tow it in 2H and N? Or will it potentially smoke the trans and I just need to keep climbing under it to drop the driveshaft?

Thanks all!

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ok we'll dust off an old thread here... with a variation on the theme... I've got an '07 FJ 6MT and an EZE-tow dolly because I also tow my Prius behind my motorhome at times. I've been dropping the rear driveshaft on the FJ and, of course, it tows fine... but that's getting tedious and I'm too cheap to buy a REMCO driveline disconnect for as infrequently as I really have to do this.

So, after reading this thread (and others) completely, it would appear that by merely shifting the transfer case to N, I engage the center differential which will not allow for dolly towing. It also appears that 2H with the trans in N WOULD allow for dolly towing, but potentially damage the trans by overheating it?

Have I misread something, or would it in fact, work to dolly tow it in 2H and N? Or will it potentially smoke the trans and I just need to keep climbing under it to drop the driveshaft?

Thanks all!

Roger
You will smoke your transmission!!!

I have just finished my 4th season of FLAT towing. I have all four on the ground and have the t-case in N, transmission in 4th. Again in theory when the t-case is in N, the center diff is locked, which means binding could occur....however you can't make sharp enough turns at high speeds to cause such binding, while flat towing behind a motorhome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will smoke your transmission!!!

I have just finished my 4th season of FLAT towing. I have all four on the ground and have the t-case in N, transmission in 4th. Again in theory when the t-case is in N, the center diff is locked, which means binding could occur....however you can't make sharp enough turns at high speeds to cause such binding, while flat towing behind a motorhome.
Thanks Al. That's what I'd gathered. I'm not interested in doing what it takes to flat-tow... so I'll just keep dropping the driveshaft. Thanks for your comment.

Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing your information and experiences SwiCago! This thread must have started right after I tried to figure out my own situation. I have been flat towing my 97 4Runner 4x4 for 4+ years ( I think I started in April 2012 ) without issue. I converted the front to Manual hubs, and drop the rear driveline for long trips. For trips two hours or so away from base, I just put the Transfer case in N and go..

Your front end and my factory front end are different but very similar, the ADD works pretty much the same. I notice with the key in RUN and the engine off, if I shift from H to N on the transfer case, I can hear the ADD engaging in the front (Engaged means the front drive shaft will spin with tire rotation). When I put it back in H, I hear it turn off.. Turn the key to ACC, shift from H to N on transfer case.. I hear nothing. Can you please confirm yours is the same?

The way I understand it, the Transfer Case's rear output shaft bearing is not getting lubrication unless the transfer case input shaft is spinning. I have heard, but never seen personally, the bearing will literally explode when it breaks down due to lack of lubrication. Jeeps have a oil slinger or something on their output shaft which is why they flat tow so well. I don't have center diff lock, but I bet you have to shift from H to N with the key in RUN to engage it just like ADD.

The Transfer case on the MT and the AT should be the same internally. I would be surprised if they were different... that being said, the tacoma, and the 4runner are probably the same too. I take a long trip once or twice a year, and I am tired of climbing under the truck to remove the driveline.. When I get to camp, I drive in Front Wheel drive until I can put the driveline back on. I would love to just throw the Transfer case in N and go.. when I do tow with the driveline, I grab the transfer case with my hands to see if it is Warm, Hot, etc... It's only ever been warm to the touch... maybe I can tow further without removing the driveline. Based on your information, I will try and see if it ever feels "hot" to the touch.

yes- long time lurker.. been secretly wanting an FJC for a long time :p

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks for sharing your information and experiences SwiCago! This thread must have started right after I tried to figure out my own situation. I have been flat towing my 97 4Runner 4x4 for 4+ years ( I think I started in April 2012 ) without issue. I converted the front to Manual hubs, and drop the rear driveline for long trips. For trips two hours or so away from base, I just put the Transfer case in N and go..

Your front end and my factory front end are different but very similar, the ADD works pretty much the same. I notice with the key in RUN and the engine off, if I shift from H to N on the transfer case, I can hear the ADD engaging in the front (Engaged means the front drive shaft will spin with tire rotation). When I put it back in H, I hear it turn off.. Turn the key to ACC, shift from H to N on transfer case.. I hear nothing. Can you please confirm yours is the same?

The way I understand it, the Transfer Case's rear output shaft bearing is not getting lubrication unless the transfer case input shaft is spinning. I have heard, but never seen personally, the bearing will literally explode when it breaks down due to lack of lubrication. Jeeps have a oil slinger or something on their output shaft which is why they flat tow so well. I don't have center diff lock, but I bet you have to shift from H to N with the key in RUN to engage it just like ADD.

The Transfer case on the MT and the AT should be the same internally. I would be surprised if they were different... that being said, the tacoma, and the 4runner are probably the same too. I take a long trip once or twice a year, and I am tired of climbing under the truck to remove the driveline.. When I get to camp, I drive in Front Wheel drive until I can put the driveline back on. I would love to just throw the Transfer case in N and go.. when I do tow with the driveline, I grab the transfer case with my hands to see if it is Warm, Hot, etc... It's only ever been warm to the touch... maybe I can tow further without removing the driveline. Based on your information, I will try and see if it ever feels "hot" to the touch.

yes- long time lurker.. been secretly wanting an FJC for a long time :p
I don't know if my FJ has Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD) - JK

In any case, I never have the FJ in run or ACC!!! The key is always in OFF position, but the key is left in the FJ in order to keep the steering wheel from locking. Basically I go through the following steps when I hook up to my motorhome.
1) Roll up to back of motorhome in 4lo
2) Hook up tow bar, electrical and safety chains/emergency brake Leash
3) Go in reverse to be sure tow bar is fully engaged (locking pins)
4) While motor is running, put T-Case in N and Transmission in 4th.
5) Disengage clutch, while motor is running to verify I am in N with T-case
6) Turn ignition to off, but leave key, so as to keep steering wheel unlocked
7) Re-check I have all safety chains and emergency brake leash attached.

Have been towing it this way since May of 2012, so 4 seasons now and have yet to have any problems....Now if the AT is simular to MT, that I cannot tell you...but I don't see why not trying, at least try in the way I described in my initial post. Drive a mile, check temps, drive a few more, check again...repeat until about 50miles have been towed. Me personally if I had an AT, I'd tow it, but I'd add an oil pump for the trans as an extra just in case. A pump that sucks oil from the drain and sends it to the top fill, while in tow (powered from Motorhome). But I guess the temp test would determine if that was necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a 2007 FF 6mt and am interested in flat towing. Have you continued to flat tow with no issues. Am I correct in assuming that you are not running your engine while towing? Don Archer

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hi, I just purchased a 2007 FF 6mt and am interested in flat towing. Have you continued to flat tow with no issues. Am I correct in assuming that you are not running your engine while towing? Don Archer
No issues to report...just finished my forth season a month ago.
And no, the engine is not running while I tow, that would be a wast of fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Saw someone towing their FJ behind a motorhome while driving back from CO to TX a few days ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saw someone flat towing their FJ in northern Wisconsin on the 17th. Big motorhome and it looked like a light colored FJ.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts