Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: FLAT TOW Auto

Wow, that's a lot of reading, but great information.

I've got an '07 automatic tranny, and am looking at what it takes to flat tow it behind a C class. Looks like it can be done, and all I should have to do it disconnect the rear-drive shaft while leaving the tranny in park, and the transfer case in "H".

However, it looks like I still need a lot of expensive things to attach the vehicle to the C class. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

1. Tow bar: I'm looking at using this one
2. Tow bar accessories/kit like these ones
3. Wiring for lights, is this what I need?
4. A way to active the breaks, using something like this.
5. A way to attach the tow bar to the bumper using an adapter like this.
6. An Expedition One Front Bumper.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Just did another 450mi trip to Wisconsin and back. All went well. I also decided to swap my tcase and trans oil, since I have not swapped them since starting with flat towing(~5yrs). Tcase oil looked like brand new, clear and no gear shavings. Trans oil was a bit more amber(obviously as it is normally hotter when in operation), but looked great for its age and no gear shavings... so hopefully this info will help someone who is on the fence.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Re: FLAT TOW Auto

Wow, that's a lot of reading, but great information.

I've got an '07 automatic tranny, and am looking at what it takes to flat tow it behind a C class. Looks like it can be done, and all I should have to do it disconnect the rear-drive shaft while leaving the tranny in park, and the transfer case in "H".

However, it looks like I still need a lot of expensive things to attach the vehicle to the C class. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

1. Tow bar: I'm looking at using this one
Looks good. 6000lbs rating, I personally went with the strongest I could find...10'500lbs rating.
BTW, it cost less, than the one your eying
https://www.amazon.com/Demco-Excali-Bar-500-Tow-Bar/dp/B004IVZYU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495586229&sr=8-1&keywords=Demco+Excali-Bar+II
2. Tow bar accessories/kit like these ones
You'll probably get away cheaper just being individual parts
3. Wiring for lights, is this what I need?
I installed this https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56196-2-to-3-Wire-Taillight-Converter/dp/B0046EKPHY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495585842&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=curtis+56196 It has a ground wire too, but I guess the one you found should work
4. A way to active the breaks, using something like this.
Looks like the right one, if you want to do exactly the same setup. Other variations are break buddy and over air
5. A way to attach the tow bar to the bumper using an adapter like this.
Yep, that's the one
Should work perfectly fine

Take pics!!!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Flat Towed my 2014 TTUE MT6 behind the 2013 THOR ACE 30.1 It worked like a champ without any issues. I've towed the FJ 2X for about 400 miles total. The Lucrum Winch Mount Connection that I used is pictured... Thanks SwiCago for the information as I've been wanting to do this for years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
SwiCago
I just completed a trip from Phoenix to Fargo, ND towing my '13 FJ Cruiser MT. I used Blue Ox tow base plates and tow bar. It is set up with the Demco brake assist. I just drove the Cruiser and everything seems to be fine after the trip. What a blast. Thanks SwiCago for all the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good video and information! I have a diesel pusher as well and we have flat towed an older manual YJ. I have always liked the FJ and figured it was time to get one. Great rig so far. My 07 is getting a bumper and i will tow it much the way we did the jeep. Really appreciate the time you put into the information here. Thanks a bunch.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts