Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT EDIT: I have another post here where I tested the same front setup, but also with a toytec thin spacer, but also with a remote reservoir OME rear shock and extra heavy springs.

EDIT: On retry of the RTI measurement (this time up at Inchworm), I measured 21.5" to the center of the tire for the front (for an RTI of 594 via this webtool). I didn't get as much stuff on the rear as it seemed I got at MAF last time (tire was not inside of the plastic trim). The lift was still 22.5" for the rear (RTI of 621).

We got chance to flex out the OME heavy setup using a forklift at MAF today. Here are some photos. The truck has 33" BFG AT's on and the front sway bar disconnected. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the wheel heights, or I could have calculated good RTI's. Eyeballing it now, it looks like we got about 22" or so at the front - which gives an RTI of about 600. When the back was lifted, it's more like about 27" or an RTI of about 750. I'll try and see if I can do it again and get real numbers... :)

· Registered
383 Posts
i was just curious as to why you took the front fender flares off ? but you have a really nice fj. i just need your front bumper, skids,rock rails, rear bumper and fridge.

· Registered
2,443 Posts
I finally see a rig with more scratches than mine. I want to thank you for that, I showed the wife and it made here stop *****ing about mine.:)

Nice setup there!

· Registered
326 Posts
We got chance to flex out the OME heavy setup using a forklift at MAF today. Here are some photos. The truck has 33" BFG AT's on and the front sway bar disconnected. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the wheel heights, or I could have calculated good RTI's. Eyeballing it now, it looks like we got about 22" or so at the front - which gives an RTI of about 600. When the back was lifted, it's more like about 27" or an RTI of about 750. I'll try and see if I can do it again and get real numbers... :)

FINALLY! Thank you MIR207! I've been wondering how this suspension would do. It seems very stiff and I was a little nervous about the articulation, but after seeing this, my worries are gone. Thanks again for the pics. I am glad I got the OME HDs!

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Did you flex the front with the sway bar still on? I have the OME 886's up front and they wouldn't even come close to flexing like that with the sway bar attached.

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was just curious as to why you took the front fender flares off ? but you have a really nice fj. i just need your front bumper, skids,rock rails, rear bumper and fridge.
I took the flares off because I have outspaced tires (when using the AT's) and just plain wide tires (when using the pitbulls). So on max flex, the tires would thump into all that trim. I have the fender flare removed, had the body mount chopped, and had the inner wheel wells beaten up. Good news is that it's now insensitive to tire width/spacing. Bad news is that in extreme stuff and turn, I am (and I think this is a general limiting rule for anyone without a SAS) still limited to 33" tires

I finally see a rig with more scratches than mine. I want to thank you for that, I showed the wife and it made here stop *****ing about mine.:)

Nice setup there!
Thanks alot. I have even better photos of how bad that pin-striping is if it'd help :)

FINALLY! Thank you MIR207! I've been wondering how this suspension would do. It seems very stiff and I was a little nervous about the articulation, but after seeing this, my worries are gone. Thanks again for the pics. I am glad I got the OME HDs!
I'm sure it probably trims some tiny amount of flex off as compared to some suspension setups, but I think it can't be much. I LOVE the OME heavies.

Very impressive.

Curious, are those front and rear OME "heavies" (886/896) you got on there??
Yup, heavy both front and back. Unloaded, it tends to buck the back of the truck abit. But loaded up (and especially I expect when loaded up with an extra 15 or so gals of fuel back there), I think it'll be perfect.

Did you flex the front with the sway bar still on? I have the OME 886's up front and they wouldn't even come close to flexing like that with the sway bar attached.
That sway bar has been gone for a while. I'm guessing it would have quite an impact on this test. I took it off for offroad purposes, but with the heavy suspension setup, body roll on road wasn't too bad.

· Registered
1,197 Posts
That sway bar has been gone for a while. I'm guessing it would have quite an impact on this test. I took it off for offroad purposes, but with the heavy suspension setup, body roll on road wasn't too bad.
Thanks for the info. I will have to try it without the sway bar.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Your rig looks awesome mir!! What are the specs on your tires?? I'll hopefully be adding some ATs in the spring and I'd like to make them with without the body trim.

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your rig looks awesome mir!! What are the specs on your tires?? I'll hopefully be adding some ATs in the spring and I'd like to make them with without the body trim.
The tires are just the basic BFG AT's. The ones on here are 295/75-R16, which have an OD of about 33.4". They're on rims that have about 3.75" BS and (to clear the caliper) have 1.25" spidertrax spacers. That gives the tires the wide-looking stance. But I must admit that it was just poor thinking through on my part that I have them as I really wanted 16" rims that fit. The 33.4" tires also rub like crazy on the plastic trim (or did, when I had it) because of the outspacing. The stock AT's that get put on the TRD's look just as good to me (I'd maybe change out to black steelies 'cause I like the look of them :) )

· Premium Member
453 Posts
thanks for the information, I can hope for aleast the same...

· Registered
56 Posts
mir207,

How much lift over stock do you have with the 886s and the ARB bumper/winch?

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mir207,

it ends up being about 2 1/2 inches.

· Registered
117 Posts
Keep us posted on the status of your CV Joints with out the stabalizer bar. Also let us know when you replace them where you found the high angle CVs bolt on for our vehicles?

Not trying to be a douche, just wan't to know what happens to your CVs and where to get high angles to continue to run like this.

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep us posted on the status of your CV Joints with out the stabalizer bar. Also let us know when you replace them where you found the high angle CVs bolt on for our vehicles?

Not trying to be a douche, just wan't to know what happens to your CVs and where to get high angles to continue to run like this.
I certainly will. Part of the problem right now is with all the mod'ing, I'm not actually wheeling the thing :) Turns out that mod'ing is one of the best things you can do to extend the life of your vehicle, as it spends all the time in the shop and not actually being run :)

I carry a spare CV (and also steering components) as I figure I'll probably break something at some point. When I do, I'll post the full post mortum.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
The tires are just the basic BFG AT's. The ones on here are 295/75-R16, which have an OD of about 33.4". They're on rims that have about 3.75" BS and (to clear the caliper) have 1.25" spidertrax spacers. That gives the tires the wide-looking stance. But I must admit that it was just poor thinking through on my part that I have them as I really wanted 16" rims that fit. The 33.4" tires also rub like crazy on the plastic trim (or did, when I had it) because of the outspacing. The stock AT's that get put on the TRD's look just as good to me (I'd maybe change out to black steelies 'cause I like the look of them :) )
Thanks for the info man!! Rig looks awesome!

· Premium Member
5,258 Posts

What is it that you are asking? There are no issues with extreme CV angles with lifts of this size/type. In fact, if you look at the angles with the OME lifts, they look very good and relatively "flat", not being a concern.

No one makes CV's for the FJ other than Toyota at this point in time. I, as well as a number of others, have been running w/o the front swaybar for many thousands of miles, wheeling and road. In fact, most agree that if you plan on doing any "serious" wheel'n, it is best to remove the swaybar to help avoid breaking it and damaging the CV boot...

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I empathize with you... :) You should come run the Rubicon with us in September.
If you guys do run Rubi in September I would love to come. I was building my truck up for the 07 TTORA Rubi run but missed it by months :( Let me know dates. I'm in! :) So long as you don't mind dragging some lame IFS POS in your wake :D

· Premium Member
3,899 Posts
mir207,

I get 51mm (2.0078740157502")

TLC did my install (great place).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.