Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I've had the FJ for about four years now. I got it with 5k miles on it from a guy in Long Island and my Dad and I loved it. Here she is now:

As you can see the nose up look of the 886 springs and 3/4 top plate spacer has just about completely evened out now from the springs sagging.

Before I found FJ Cruiser Forums, I did NOT like the look of the FJ at all, but after seeing some of the builds on here my views turned around completely.

Once I finally had the beast in the driveway, I immediately decided it looked.... well. EXTREMELY whimpy/not a beast AT ALL. Thats when I found out about all of the great STUFF you could add onto it! Little did I know how much it all cost...

This isn't an actual picture of the Fat J, but I dont have any from when she was stock :( so this one will have to do.

Weeks later she turned into this. Still looking ridiculous with the stock BFG's

I then suddenly became uninterested in the FJ for a while. Mostly because I did not have the money to mod her for a couple of months.

But in the last month, I'd say she's turned into the beast I imagined.

This is just a teaser at the moment, because it is raining out and I can't get pictures. But tomorrow I'll post what has been done in detail from start to.... "Finish" isn't in my vocabulary.

Oh, and here's the 4x and downhill bikes. The Brooklyn has recently been retired for anyone of you that know what they are, I have a white Morewood Makulu now that I haven't taken pictures of yet, I'll post those up soon!

My FJ would NOT look like it does now without the help from Joe (Joeisip) (DAPURAK). If you EVER need help with something on the East Coast PM him and he'll help you BIGTIME (He's installed 20 snorkels). You might see a resemblance between my FJ an his..... That is because I am a copycat....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here she is as of 06/22/2010. Went to a place in Madison, CT with a friend and this is how it turned out.

The rear windows are tinted to 5% and the two fronts are at 20%. I am thinking of switching to 5% in the two fronts and 35% on the windshield, but it is already hard enough to see out at night as it is :p.

The Warn front and rear bumpers as well as the xd9000i winch were the first things I added onto the FJ, followed by a spacer lift. I soon found out that the spacer lift was SH*T and replaced it with an Old Man Emu lift.

Once I had the OME 885 lift kit on for about 5 months, the front of course started sagging....... I HATED it more than anything and I love the look of a nose up FJ. So I ordered OME 886 springs and a 3/4" top plate. I was told that the UCA's would be overextended by doing this, but it worked out fine (even though My front axels and the UCA's are PRETTTTTTY extended).

I then removed the mirrors and grille, sanded (as told) with 400 to 600 grit sand paper. Sprayed 3 coats of primer (sanded), sprayed 5 coats of black, and 3 more coats of clearcoating. Its held up for a year and a half with minor chips, so as everyone else says on this site DONT buy the 400 dollar mirrors and 200 dollar grille toyota sells. I also added the smoked headlight covers, they dim the light quite a bit but what can you do, I like the look :)

Next I added the highlift jack with fourtrek mounts I bought from a forum member

Now, I have NO idea how to do any sort of wiring, so this is where I had to take my car into the shop. I had them install the CB radio, and they did a pretty nice job wiring it through the car rather than under it. I got a great deal for the ladder from a forum member as well. $100 for a perfect condition gobi?!

Here is a shot of the wiring into the car rather than under it. Covered with silicone!!

Had to take it in for this one too :) I ordered a Kenwood DNX9140, Alpine type-x speakers and tweeters, as well as a type-x 12" sub in the back. The PDX.5 amp powers the whole thing.

This was installed in the truck before I bought it as a nice extra, the backup camera IS a nice thing to have..... But not when the camera gets smashed on a rock.

The tire pressure monitor was a REALLY nice and helpful tool I got from Joe (DAPURAK) along with with his last set of wheels and tires. He gave me a good deal and he's a great guy to do business with!

Joe also helped me out with the LED dome light install which is super easy and cheap as well. Everyone should do it, stock dome blows hahahah

The leather heated lumbar support seats and steering wheel were ANOTHER great option that came with the truck when I bought it, I love it.

I removed the door panel again and bolted on a window breaker seatbelt cutter tool. You can also see the tweeter cut into the door for better sound quality. I also just purchased a 22" machete that is going to be mounted to the ceiling :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Joe helped me out again with the Scuba mod. He has a ton of kits (or at least he did at the time, I know he does a ton of installs for members) and can do this mod in no time for you. I haven't put on the filter yet but will do!

Along with the locking gas cap.

Here is a shot of the snorkel intake connection through the truck.

This is the differential drop I added after the OME 886's as well as the sway bar relocate kit.

Sway bar links I have not installed yet. I am going to wrap the threaded part with shrink tubing.

Got this idea from another forum member, just have to thread it onto the bumper still (front or rear???)

I also debadged the "cruiser" as well as the toyota symbol, I thought they both looked bad IMHO :)

NOW for any of you who have bought bushwhakers! If you have a bumper that wont fit that small bottom rear piece of the bushwhaker (like I did) DONT cut out the stock fenders and just throw them away. Chop them just below where the gas cap is and leave the rear piece of the stock fender there. Trim the end of the bushwhaker a little to fit them, and bolt the new flair right up. :)

TRD Big Brake kit installed

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
looks good:cheers:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
:cheers:nice

·
Registered
402 Posts
nice looking start! Let's see those new pics.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Small little trail about 45 mins from my house :clap::clap:

First snowstorm of the year right after I got myself unstuck from a 4' snowdrift

Second snowstorm, we got about 20+ inches. My windshieldwipers are in the up position in this picture.

·
Registered
402 Posts
love the latest pics. That thing looks SICK!

·
Registered
931 Posts
More info about the bikes! I have a specialized big hit and damn it sucks going uphill!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
My FJ would NOT look like it does now without the help from Joe (Joeisip) (DAPURAK). If you EVER need help with something on the East Coast PM him and he'll help you BIGTIME (He's installed 20 snorkels). You might see a resemblance between my FJ an his..... That is because I am a copycat....
hahah aren't we all... he sets a great example! i always felt the FJs were a bit chubby, but you make it look good!:cheers:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More info about the bikes! What motor is that on the black one. I have a specialized big hit and damn it sucks going uphill!!
The black one is a Brooklyn Machine Works Race Link. Its a GREAT bike and has taken the WORST abuse you could ever think of. No motor just pedals :bigthumb: There is a chain on the left side which drives a chain on the right side, which goes to the wheel. It is designed like that to help eliminate pedal bob.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Nice pictures Joe :bigthumb:. Thanks for all the help you've given me with the truck!
No Problem Derek... if you need anything else, you know where to find me :wave:

we are hittin' pine barrens this saturday.. you are more than welcome to join Us :wave:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey that picture of the stock FJ is mine!! I remember taking it about a year ago. My FJ doesnt look quite like that anymore...Yours and Joe's are what I want mine to look like eventually.

Mine is like a baby edition of both of yours...lol.

Nice Ride Btw!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Problem Derek... if you need anything else, you know where to find me :wave:

we are hittin' pine barrens this saturday.. you are more than welcome to join Us :wave:
crappp, really want to go. But grandparents are in town because I just graduated :bigthumb:. I am going to vermont with them this weekend. next time you go let me know and ill be there :cheers:

Hey that picture of the stock FJ is mine!! I remember taking it about a year ago. My FJ doesnt look quite like that anymore...Yours and Joe's are what I want mine to look like eventually.

Mine is like a baby edition of both of yours...lol.

Nice Ride Btw!
Is it??! I got it off cars.com, someones trying to sell your car bro :thinkerg:. Thanks for the comments, and I just figured out how to quote multiple people in one post :rofl:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is it??! I got it off cars.com, someones trying to sell your car bro :thinkerg:. Thanks for the comments, and I just figured out how to quote multiple people in one post :rofl:

Hahaha I know, its my uncle. He wanted to put my truck online to see what kind of interest it would get from people because he was interested in buying an FJ cruiser for his lot. Mine is not for sale!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts