Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the cabin of the fj cruiser be made water tight? and if it was would the fj float?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i had a huge bank account or rather multiple accounts because the FDIC only insures an account for 250,000 dollars. id have several vehicles one of which would be an unimog and i wouldn't posting about it on a forum. let me re-frase my question how would one go about water proofing it (where to find water tight seals, how many holes are in the cabin, etc.) and does anyone know the volume of the cabin? i can do the calculations.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
If you ever remove the rear seats and back floor mat, you will discover several holes that penetrate the body, after you remove screws. You have five door seals to deal with as well. I am not certain about the volume or weight distribution.It is an interesting question but I am not certain that it would work. You might be able to make it float but what about exhaust, movement and steering?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get a lot of silicone sealant and go to town on it. You'll have to seal the doors shut but you can climb in and out of the window. Don't forget to take pictures. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Even if you could seal everything up real good...the nose or front end is real heavy and will go straight nose down. I actually went into a large water crossing at least five foot deep and the front went down and the rear floated up. I had enough forward momentum to float over the deep spot and my front tires grabbed the bottom and pulled me up and out till my rear end floated down. I did take on some water under the rubber liner and had a real bad oder for a few weeks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For what it is worth, if you were too seal your FJ to the point it took on no water , you are trying to float 4290 lbs plus you and any extras you have. Lets call it 4500 lbs,
you can displace .160ft sq of water with 1lb, you would be looking to displace 720 ft sq of water to support your FJ. I am not sure it could be done without some form of aditional devices to keep your FJ above surface.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
For what it is worth, if you were too seal your FJ to the point it took on no water , you are trying to float 4290 lbs plus you and any extras you have. Lets call it 4500 lbs,
you can displace .160ft sq of water with 1lb, you would be looking to displace 720 ft sq of water to support your FJ. I am not sure it could be done without some form of aditional devices to keep your FJ above surface.
My rear end was floating upward as my front went towards the bottom...Maybe my 35's have something to do with that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
:thinkerg: Inflatable pontoons and an outboard motor that hooks up to the receiver hitch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im sure i could get my hands on some swim jets like are used on military vehicles. i doubt ill do something so drastic right now but im sure i could find some type of heat resistant foam to stuff in my bumpers, frame (or seal up the frame) and in any practical place on the vehicle or tubes filled with air. the tires are also filled with air although its pressurized air so its more dense than the air surrounding it but still it should be less dense than water depending on the tire pressure.

does anybody know what it costs to get the floor of the fj line-x'ed?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to fjnewb: i tried searching it. someone needs to refine the search function

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got to google.com and type fj cruiser forums _______________? and I find results usually.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Coast guard marine foam pumped into the frame...A good coat of line-x sprayed to undercoat. And you have to move the cabin stabalization port up to the roof somehow. This is where the water will just come into the cab very fast if you go a few inches above your rear bumper height.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Some reading this thread might not like what i am about to say, oh well.

If the offroading you are into and/or your driving skill level finds you typically ending up stuck in water above your door line to the point that figuring out a way to completely waterproof your rig, or make it so that water coming inside is no big deal, or that you are trying to make a 5Klbs SUV float by the addition of foam, you bought the wrong vehicle.

You should have bought something that doesn't have anything on the floor (like rubber flooring with insulation under it). It should be something you can hose out. There are a good bit of electrical wires that run along the floor of the FJ.
An older Jeep would have been a better option in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^yep. fj40.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Some reading this thread might not like what i am about to say, oh well.

If the offroading you are into and/or your driving skill level finds you typically ending up stuck in water above your door line to the point that figuring out a way to completely waterproof your rig, or make it so that water coming inside is no big deal, or that you are trying to make a 5Klbs SUV float by the addition of foam, you bought the wrong vehicle.

You should have bought something that doesn't have anything on the floor (like rubber flooring with insulation under it). It should be something you can hose out. There are a good bit of electrical wires that run along the floor of the FJ.
An older Jeep would have been a better option in my opinion.
Or better yet, you could buy a boat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts