Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Nice what are the specs on the unit, cost, antena, etc. Very Nice setup :)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I like it. As long as you trust your co-pilot with it. Looks like it might be a bit of a passenger play toy. Don't get me wrong, looks great. I'm curious myself as to what the specs are on that unit.

One more thought (because I'm too lazy to go out and look at mine). Where does the passenger side dash airbag come out at?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I like it. As long as you trust your co-pilot with it. Looks like it might be a bit of a passenger play toy. Don't get me wrong, looks great. I'm curious myself as to what the specs are on that unit.

One more thought (because I'm too lazy to go out and look at mine). Where does the passenger side dash airbag come out at?
Looks like it comes out from the top of the dash.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Looks like it comes out from the top of the dash.
Good. Thanks for posting so quickly. This area of the dash looks like it could be used for mounting other things as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good. This area of the dash looks like it could be used for mounting other things as well.
Yes there is a lot of room behind the dash in this area. I expect a lot of people will be adding toys here. This unit is the Lowrance 540c GPS unit. $500 includes everything you need to install and run it. I will be doing pre-running and chasing in support of desert racing so this unit is built to take the punishment. This is not a turn by turn urban Garmin GPS unit. Automotive Entertainment in Santa Monica did the install, they normally work on Maserati's and other high end vehicles. Their work is top notch and priced right IMO. Ask for Joe he will get you a good deal (less than the price of the unit).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like it. As long as you trust your co-pilot with it. Looks like it might be a bit of a passenger play toy.
Yes this was installed with a co-pilot in mind, angled so both the passenger and driver can view it. I won't use it while I am driving, I would stop and add icons or waypoints during pre-running to my file as part of race planning. Co-pilot can use it on the fly!!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Slick looking unit, nice install too!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the Baja race unit, I will have to get back to you on the topo, still learning the unit, although Lowrance has a great BC mapping that shows every street in Ensenada, all the goat trails, definitly going to come in handy finding the race truck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hello

Just got the FJ back from the shop with clean results, what do you think?

Outstanding install of the Lowrance.This unit is THE offroad GPS. You create your OWN maps on the PC from discs and flash them into SD cards. THe headunit has NO MOVING PARTS and no disk drive to crash, and an extremely bright high resolution display. Its UI takes a little bit of learning but makes sense once you get the hang.

I mounted mine on the center console behind the shifter so I do not have to lean over to it. I have run it close to a year with NO problems.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
FYI an image from the Baja 480 c.

Unfortunately the image is so highly detailed that it has to be saved off at jpeg quality 3 in order to fit the 97k limit of uploads

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the props on the install White Rim. The position of the screen is such that I just glance over to see the whole screen and the copilot will run the unit when we're on the go. Any pics of your install? You have the 480?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have it mounted to the center console with foam tape which has been good for 20K miles so far. I was going to sink it into the console (there is room and it would be a sweet install) but I like having it oriented toward the driver in this manner. It is in easy reach and the ergonomics of grasping the side of the unit and manipulating the buttons with the thumb is great. I can actually run button sequences from memory without looking at the unit.

The Lowrance Baja is the great secret of offroad topo GPS. When I genned up my maps for it I deliberately left off cities and states.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts