Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sun Fusion, 4WD, and basically great
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing says Monday morning like a gang of flying ants covering your FJ, amirite? Jk, but seriously it did make my drive into work way more stressful than it should’ve been. I assumed the first time this happened it was merely a strange occurrence, especially considering the fact that I park in the same spot at my apartment complex 75% of the time. Honestly I’m flattered they chose to congregate on my car versus any other car in the lot, so at least they have good taste.

Naturally, I Googled how to remove them but unfortunately everything recommended dish soap mixed with diluted peppermint oil. I know both of those are rather abrasive and shouldn’t be used on car paint. Thankfully 90% of them were gone by the time I arrived at work, so at least my interstate and rain shower combo worked.

Clearly not wanting this event to repeat itself again, besides finding a new parking spot, is there anything else I can try to exterminate and prevent them from returning?
(For the record, this parking spot is two over from a small tree and next to the backside of the complex’s brick mailbox structure.)

Any advice and insight is extremely appreciated!
Thank you!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nothing says Monday morning like a gang of flying ants covering your FJ, amirite? Jk, but seriously it did make my drive into work way more stressful than it should’ve been. I assumed the first time this happened it was merely a strange occurrence, especially considering the fact that I park in the same spot at my apartment complex 75% of the time. Honestly I’m flattered they chose to congregate on my car versus any other car in the lot, so at least they have good taste.

Naturally, I Googled how to remove them but unfortunately everything recommended dish soap mixed with diluted peppermint oil. I know both of those are rather abrasive and shouldn’t be used on car paint. Thankfully 90% of them were gone by the time I arrived at work, so at least my interstate and rain shower combo worked.

Clearly not wanting this event to repeat itself again, besides finding a new parking spot, is there anything else I can try to exterminate and prevent them from returning?
(For the record, this parking spot is two over from a small tree and next to the backside of the complex’s brick mailbox structure.)

Any advice and insight is extremely appreciated!
Thank you!
View attachment 1164829 View attachment 1164830
They like the colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2014 Army Green FJ
92 Posts
Couple thoughts:

1) Dish soap is not hard on your paint. It can strip the wax you put on top of your paint the last time you waxed your vehicle.
2) I'm betting it's just the time of year these guys emerge from their nests and swarm. Give it a week, I'll bet they are gone.

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,071 Posts
Was going to ask what colour before I scrolled to the pics…That’s your issue yellow is a bug magnet . It’s not about where you parked it’s that you have a big yellow ‘flower’. My understanding is that flying ants only live for a day so should be a shirt term issue hopefully.. about the only way you’ll stop rhem and other bugs is to ‘camo’ the yellow throw a sheet over when you park it up

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
391 Posts
Bugs do the swarming (wings) thing a few times a year and white and yellow can attract them. My guess is after a day or two they will be gone unit next year. Just spray off with a hose and check inside to ensure they did not get in.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

1 - 7 of 7 Posts