Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed A pair of focal ic 690 toy this weekend. This had to be the easiest speaker replacement i've ever done! Bought them from crutchfield...kinda expensive but they sound great! I have seen different Ohm ratings for factory 6x9s on here but the speakers i removed were rated 4ohm. I'll post a pic of the stock speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was just thinking yesterday I need to do something with my stereo. I had Focal's in my Subaru Legacy and loved them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This had to be the easiest speaker replacement i've ever done! Bought them from crutchfield...kinda expensive but they sound great! I have seen different Ohm ratings for factory 6x9s on here but the speakers i removed were rated 4ohm. I'll post a pic of the stock speaker.
According to Toyota's documentation, the door speakers are 4Ω for the standard model and 1.8Ω for the JBL system. The dash speakers are 8Ω in the standard model and 1.9Ω for the JBL system. The ceiling exciters are 4Ω and the rear pillar speakers, if present, are 8Ω for the standard system and 1.9Ω for the JBL system. The subwoofer has dual 2Ω coils.

The idea is brilliant. It is about time again that a speaker maker made high quality, high efficiency, drop in replacement speakers that fit correctly and use the OEM plug for a nice upgrade without damaging the vehicle and without changing the way the vehicle interior looks at all. Many of us want good quality speakers but don't want to see aftermarket speakers or grills showing anywhere.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I know there is a sticky thread on removing dash, etc so I'll check there as well, but I'm assuming you had to pull the interior door panels off to install these. Last car I did that on was a 1997 Dodge Ram with manual windows, and I had the clip puller to remove the panel.

How hard is it to remove the interior door panels to replace these?

Edit: Found the post, and will check it out, but still interested in comments: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/55662-dash-console-door-panels-removal-instructions-w-pics-4.html#post930209

Doesn't look too hard, assuming there is enough clearance to replace speakers without unplugging electrical for door locks, windows, etc.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Cool thanks for posting,

I just bought the same speakers at Crusfield too but not the Toy option. You can buy the standard IC-690 and they supply free, the wire harness pigtails for plug and play connection and the speaker Mounting Brackets to mount the speakers plug and play in the factory location.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
I know there is a sticky thread on removing dash, etc so I'll check there as well, but I'm assuming you had to pull the interior door panels off to install these. Last car I did that on was a 1997 Dodge Ram with manual windows, and I had the clip puller to remove the panel.

How hard is it to remove the interior door panels to replace these?

Edit: Found the post, and will check it out, but still interested in comments: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/55662-dash-console-door-panels-removal-instructions-w-pics-4.html#post930209

Doesn't look too hard, assuming there is enough clearance to replace speakers without unplugging electrical for door locks, windows, etc.
g'day Mate,
you might get lucky if you unclip the door panels and rotate them 90 degree's and leave the electrical connector plugged in. But the door cables will need to be un hooked.
took my door panels off last weekend, its pretty easy, and the cables are easy too. Just remember to hook them back up. Green tag is the lower cable.

This might give you enough room to get to the speakers, if not the connectors are a bit of a pain. Especially the drivers door as it holds all the control function. The passenger connector is much easier. Its also easier to rotate the door panel 90 degrees to get access to the connector if you have fat fingers like me..... :lol:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
753 Posts
g'day Mate,
you might get lucky if you unclip the door panels and rotate them 90 degree's and leave the electrical connector plugged in. But the door cables will need to be un hooked.
took my door panels off last weekend, its pretty easy, and the cables are easy too. Just remember to hook them back up. Green tag is the lower cable.

This might give you enough room to get to the speakers, if not the connectors are a bit of a pain. Especially the drivers door as it holds all the control function. The passenger connector is much easier. Its also easier to rotate the door panel 90 degrees to get access to the connector if you have fat fingers like me..... :lol:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

Thanks for the info Baz. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Cool thanks for posting,

I just bought the same speakers at Crusfield too but not the Toy option. You can buy the standard IC-690 and they supply free, the wire harness pigtails for plug and play connection and the speaker Mounting Brackets to mount the speakers plug and play in the factory location.
That had been my experience in the past, that Crutchfield supplies the speaker wire adapters and the brackets. Was there a difference in price between the Toy option vs the standard speakers?

·
Registered
879 Posts
That had been my experience in the past, that Crutchfield supplies the speaker wire adapters and the brackets. Was there a difference in price between the Toy option vs the standard speakers?
There is, about $70 I don't know if they will be as plug and play as the Toy specific set but I will let everyone know one way or the other. I have started a thread on my sound upgrade too and will post there, my install.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is, about $70 I don't know if they will be as plug and play as the Toy specific set but I will let everyone know one way or the other. I have started a thread on my sound upgrade too and will post there, my install.
I just put a set of 6x9's in my doors using the Metra adapters (speaker harness and mounting ring adapter) and it was very straight forward and bolted right up with no needed modifications.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Those are awesome speakers!

I'm just beginning the planning portion of a stereo upgrade myself, but $280 a pair is more than double what I was looking to pay for 6x9's.
I was thinking about some name brands for around $100 a pair.
I was looking at these in particular:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P16922/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1692.html?tp=91

Still have to do research and narrow it down.

As for the HU, I really like the Kenwood DDX271 that Zoso recommended in another thread.
I already have an Alpine amp and woofer I pulled out of my 4Runner.
: )

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
It's not the name on the speaker that matters, it's the sound quality. Some of the best sounding speakers in the world are made by companies you've never heard of.

Speakers will sound different with different HU. The stock HU puts out very little power.

I'm in love with my German-Maestro component (you'll need a real HU and an amp)
Stereowise Plus: German Maestro M-Line MS 6508 6.5 Inch 2-way Component System Review
I hear ya. I've done my fair share of audio installs using lesser known brands.
I was one of the first to do a complete Sundown install in my Titan years ago, when they were still very new.
My install was stickied at their forum, not sure if it still is.
I've been out of it for quite a while and some of the technology has evolved to the point where I am back to being a noob when it comes to car stereo systems.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Not listened to those German Maestro but it looks like an updated MB Quart which I had back in the day good stuff ... On those Focal 6x9s OP they will do you little good if you don't replace the factory head unit and actually they may sound worse than the factory speakers being the factory head unit may have a hard time running them in which case you will end up with no bass

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I remember growing up in high school with my first car stereo system. Everyone liked a lot of bass. Big amps, big subwoofers, and the brands of choice were usually Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, or Orion, to name a few. They gave a lot of bang for the buck. But it was widely known that if you want the best, its gotta be MB Quart.

The German Manufacturer MB Quart, was the best. But in 2007/2008 they were bought and the plant was shut down. So employees found themselves without a job. But not to be kept down, German Maestro was formed, and is run and operated out of the same located by a majority of the same management and employees. So the old MB Quart magic is alive in the new German Maestro brand name. The factory, the hundreds of years of combined experience, and the R&D. It was all there. So it was mostly just a change in brand names. They even service and repair the old MB Quart products for customers.

I'd never heard of MB Quart or German Maestro, but I did hear the difference at the stereo store and I was impressed.

A couple months ago I was on a road trip with a friend. We were jamming the tunes when a really good song came on, so I turned it up. It was loud and crystal clear. Halfway through the song, I turned it up a couple more notches. My friend's jaw dropped, he looked at me and started laughing. He couldn't believe we weren't already at the top!

I have never actually found the top. I mean the depth of bass levels off at around 25. I can turn up the volume and it'll get louder, but the bass doesn't hit any harder. It still hits hard enough to move your hair. The front speakers are another matter entirely. 28-30 is about as loud as I can handle. I've had it up to 33 without any distortion, but it's either gonna kill something in my truck or in my head. If I'm by myself I never take it past 30. I don't even know what the top limit is on my stereo.

ZoSo next time you're near:
Carl's Stereo Plus Pickups
11370 Reading Rd.
45241 Sharonville, OH
Phone: 513-563-1604

·
Registered
222 Posts
Those are awesome speakers!

I'm just beginning the planning portion of a stereo upgrade myself, but $280 a pair is more than double what I was looking to pay for 6x9's.
I was thinking about some name brands for around $100 a pair.
I was looking at these in particular:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692 6"x9" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Still have to do research and narrow it down.

As for the HU, I really like the Kenwood DDX271 that Zoso recommended in another thread.
I already have an Alpine amp and woofer I pulled out of my 4Runner.
: )
I'd check out other options than Crutchfield though.

I have been using Sonic Electronix lately and have gotten MUCH better deals, and they have been great to deal with. I got those same RF 6x9s for a little over half what Crutchfield sells them for.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Well, yea, I order almost everything online from Amazon, but Crotchfield lets me know what fits and gives a lot more info on products. Their site helps me research the products, and sometimes I'll buy from them if the price isn't that much different because they have great customer service.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Installed A pair of focal ic 690 toy this weekend. This had to be the easiest speaker replacement i've ever done! Bought them from crutchfield...kinda expensive but they sound great!
Now that you've listened to the for a couple of weeks, how are you liking them? Can I recommend them to a friend with a Tacoma that is finding his factory door speakers unsatisfying?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts