Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to wire my Fog lights in my bumper and my driving lights off of 1 switch. My plan is to have it so that with the parking lights or low beams I can have the fog lights on, and with highbeams on and the switch activated I the driving lights will come on to join the fog lights. Anyone smart enough to figure out how I could wire them this way? I was looking at this schematic but it doesn't seem to work with two lights the way I would like.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think...(my opinion only), you need to route fog relay switch wire (yellow?) to parking light wire, and route driving light relay switch wire to high beams. I hope that makes sense. I can't tell if you are going to do this from you schematic. It looks like you are using only one relay. You will need 2 for your project.

I just looked at your schematic again, and this looks like exactly what you need for fogs. Do the same for driving lights except change your jump to high beams.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool thanks... which one is the Jump? I have two relays and two wirring harnesses... but I only have one switch. The way I read this wiring diagram I would need two switches... one with the top wire going to the parking lamp (for the fogs) and another switch to control the driving lamps with the top wire going to high beam harness.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
The only problem is if you hook up the relays to the low beam and the highbeams separately, the fogs will turn off when you turn on your highbeams and the driving lights will go on.

what I did was to have both ARB fogs and Driving lights on separate OEM Lighted switches, but have the trigger power not from the low/high beams but from the ACC ON fuse connection, so I can have either light on when I want, but when the ACC is off (turn off the car) the lights go out and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the lights.

T

·
Registered
579 Posts
I second what iCruiser wrote. Set it up so you can just flip a switch & get what you want. Way easier to wire up (but still a PITA). I suggest setting your high beams up to the driving lights. i.e. if switch is flipped and lights are on high beams the driving lights go on, when you go to low beam the driving lights go off. Fog lights are nice to set up to a on off type switch...so they can be pointed at thte ditch etc....etc.... They generaly are not a issue for drivers if pointed at the ditch line. Just mt 2cents. I also highly recommend the hella relays with the built in fuse.....makes for a nice clean install.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm trying to wire my Fog lights in my bumper and my driving lights off of 1 switch. My plan is to have it so that with the parking lights or low beams I can have the fog lights on, and with highbeams on and the switch activated I the driving lights will come on to join the fog lights. Anyone smart enough to figure out how I could wire them this way? I was looking at this schematic but it doesn't seem to work with two lights the way I would like.
Are you trying to control two circuits to work independently with one switch ?? Why ?? Why not use two switches to allow for separate control ? Or you can tap the relay trigger for the fogs to the parking light hot, and the driving light trigger to the high beam hot, and they will come on automatically. Or do one automatic, and the other with the switch.
I'm still confused about the disadvantage for you of using two switches...

You can also use one switch to control power to both relays, and then have separate triggers so that the lights can only operate when both the switch and individual trigger are activated. Just seems to be making a simple situation complex. Individual control gives you more flexibility and simpler wiring circuits...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah in the end I will be using two switches for simplicity. Was going to use 1 switch to leave 1 blank in my console that I could use to wire in rear facing lights later... but I'll deal with that when it comes ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts