Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get it. I've searched and read every thread relating to wiring for fog/aux lights.

I have a set of ACRO lights, they didn't come with any wires.

I purchased an OEM fog/aux switch, wiring harness, relay.

Just got back from Checker, I picked up some 12 gauge wire and some butt connectors.

Now what?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Are you going to the summit next week? If so I and im sure many others would be happy to help you out. If not then your going to want to read the post above and get an idea for how the wiring is going to work. All you need to do is give the lights power and then ground it. It was very dificult for me to do it the first time but once you get the basics of a 12 volt system its pretty easy.
What are you having trouble with exactly? getting started overall of some of the specifics?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you going to the summit next week? If so I and im sure many others would be happy to help you out. If not then your going to want to read the post above and get an idea for how the wiring is going to work. All you need to do is give the lights power and then ground it. It was very dificult for me to do it the first time but once you get the basics of a 12 volt system its pretty easy.
What are you having trouble with exactly? getting started overall of some of the specifics?
Not going to the Summit.

Since nothing came with instructions, having a hard time understanding where to start. And where the power and controls meet.

I think I should be able to wire into the provided fuse box in the engine compartment? Not sure if the power for the lights goes directly to the battery, or somehow into the fuse box or relay. Though I assume the relay goes in the fuse box in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
here are the instructuions for Aux Light Install from Toyota. Let me know if you need more.

Toyota Aux Light

And this relay diagram helps keep the basice layout in front of you.

good luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are the instructuions for Aux Light Install from Toyota. Let me know if you need more.

Toyota Aux Light

And this relay diagram helps keep the basice layout in front of you.

good luck
Thanks to all for the help. Figured out I was missing the Lamp Wiring Harness, in order to connect to the factory installed switch harness in the engine bay.

Kind of insanely expensive to install everything OEM, about $140 for the switch and wiring harnesses.

Next time: just tape a couple of flashlights to the bumper....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This thread is for PIAA 520s, but I think it's what you're looking to do.
Good source, thanks.

But I give up. I can't figure out how to connect the bullets on the ends of the light wires to the toyota lamp harness. I know I need splice in extra wire since the lamp harness is too short, and the ends/connectors provided don't work with the bullets that come on the acro lights.

I tried butt connectors, but it didn't work, probably because I had 12 gauge wire, and the lights have about 16 gauge. I thought I would just tie the wires together and tape them, but I can't get the wire to bend back so I can run it to the engine compartment.

per my other thread in the electronics section. I give up. I guess they'll just be $150 decorations, plus another $200 in switches and wires/connectors that will collect dust in my tool bench.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okey-doke... can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I've got after market fogs switched through a relay by the DRLs. Logic tells me when the DRLs are on, the fogs are on (which is what I want), but when I turn the headlights on, the fogs go off and don't come back on until I kill the ignition and restart.

??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts