Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
im looking to mount piaa 510s behind the lower grille. i wanted to know if its easier to put the switch in the middle console area or on the left side next to the steering wheel. Idk if maybe one way is easier than the other running the wires and such

·
Registered
671 Posts
Left of the steering wheel is probably the easiest but the console isn't hard. I have put switches in both.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I think the center console is really easy. I went through the trouble of taking everything apart to get to the center console. You really only need to remove the panel that holds the radio. I was able to get to everything by just removing that piece.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anybody know any reason why, if everything else works, i.e. fog lights turn on/off, dimmer illumination works, the LED within the factory AUX switch doesn't?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Anybody know any reason why, if everything else works, i.e. fog lights turn on/off, dimmer illumination works, the LED within the factory AUX switch doesn't?
Do you have a good ground? I would check that first.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Was it working before? Was this from the factory or your own install?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have a good ground? I would check that first.
I will check the ground, that's a good suggestion.

Was it working before? Was this from the factory or your own install?
This is a new switch I put in recently, its the toyota aux switch.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I will check the ground, that's a good suggestion.

This is a new switch I put in recently, its the toyota aux switch.
If it hasn't worked period, then you mad some error wiring it. Did you tap the "power" for the LED to the "power out" wire on the switch?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, here's a good one for you...
I installed new foglights yesterday, abiding by the factory installation instructions and using the OEM switch. I got it wired up, T-tapped into the A-trac illumination wires and plugged the white plug into the corresponding location behind the driver side kick-plate and properly grounded it. I then cut the plug off for the foglights in the engine bay and wired my foglights in accordingly and installed the relay and 15A fuse in the fuse box. I went to test them and the only work with the high beams?! Is something crossed? I cant imagine this is how they are supposed to function. My 4Runner worked just the opposite way, i.e. low beam w/ fogs.

Can someone help me?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I installed new foglights yesterday, abiding by the factory installation instructions and using the OEM switch. I got it wired up, T-tapped into the A-trac illumination wires and plugged the white plug into the corresponding location behind the driver side kick-plate and properly grounded it. I then cut the plug off for the foglights in the engine bay and wired my foglights in accordingly and installed the relay and 15A fuse in the fuse box. I went to test them and the only work with the high beams?! Is something crossed? I cant imagine this is how they are supposed to function. My 4Runner worked just the opposite way, i.e. low beam w/ fogs.

Can someone help me?
If you used the OEM harness and followed the OEM instructions, then you did everything correctly.

That is how it was designed. There are posts about how to modify it to have it work not with high beams.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,468 Posts

Can someone help me?
If you used the factory harness/instructions then yes...they are functioning correctly...ie only with the high beams on.

The reason for this is that the FJ came with a factory DRIVING light option. Driving lights are meant for high beam only use. Also, that's why they are bumper mounted/brush guard mounted.

Fog lights should mount low. You are correct that Fog lights should be on with low beams.

You essentially wired up Fog pattern lights to the factory harness.

There is a wire you can cut that is tapped to your high beams. If you cut and relocate this to constant power/fused power/or powered only when at least parking lights are on...then you will be good to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This thread is confusing to say the least. At the end of the day, if you follow Toyotas instruction manual for a "clean" install. You can only use the new fog lights with high beams.

This sucks donkey dic*.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This thread is confusing to say the least. At the end of the day, if you follow Toyotas instruction manual for a "clean" install. You can only use the new fog lights with high beams.

This sucks donkey dic*.
When I followed this thread as well as the Toyota factory bit to install mines I fused into the slot next to the red 10a fuse there in the pic. Mine runs with high, low, and even when the running lights are off. They also shut off when the truck is off or if I leave my lights on when I get out the auto shut off feature kicks in.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
No problem. Glad you got it installed and working!

That's the great thing about this site...lots of helpful folks! I'm happy to contribute when I can.
I applaud your efforts in helping others. We really appreciate it.:clap:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Whoa that take apart looks intense. But maybe just cause its on paper. Ive taken apart the dash and console of my honda before and it was so easy after the first time. Thanks so much for your help. This is gonna be fun.
If you use the factory wiring harness you can just plug and play. Fuse and relay plug into the fuse block under the hood. The under dash harness plugs into the switch and wiring harness.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts