Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those who have seen the fj i would like to know how hard or awkward it is to fold the upright sections of the rear seats. check out picture 28 in the specter off road pictures taken at their facility. here the bottoms of the seats are folded forward and they appear to now be in the way for reaching in to relase the upright sections so they will then fold down. i tend to think you have to walk around back and reach thru the cargo area to release the upright sections and then push them forward. or can you reach them from the side with the bottom sections folded forward. thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
thats how the seats on my 1st gen 4runner work, its a little of a stretch, but i can fold down the seats without too much discomfort, and my 'runner only has 2 regular doors; you should be fine, unless you are shorter than me :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Topless4runner said:
thats how the seats on my 1st gen 4runner work, its a little of a stretch, but i can fold down the seats without too much discomfort, and my 'runner only has 2 regular doors; you should be fine, unless you are shorter than me :D
thanks topless. only problem is that i was born a short person, only 5' 5 will see how it goes. wish luck to shorty

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Good luck shorty... When the guy at SEMA put the seats down for me, he had to do it from the rear cargo area, but we were not seated inside the vehicle at the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the seat bottoms lift up to make room for the seatbacks? Are the seatbacks STILL not folded flat even with the seat bottoms folded up and out of the way?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I thought we covered this in another thread but... the seat bottoms fold forward, then the backs fold down, it is about a 2-3" rise between the cargo area and the rear seats - even folded down. So there is no way to get it to be completely flat. Now, bare in mind that this is only because none of us have one yet. There may be a way to adjust the way the rear seats are mounted so that it can be made flat, but it might be easier to simply raise the cargo area to match, maybe a wood platform or somekind of storage box...

Personally, I have no issues sleeping in a tent so that's really not a problem for me. It would be EXTREMELY cool if you could camp in it, though, I was really excited about the pre-production rumors that the entire interior would fold flat.

Guess that was a bit much for Toyota to accomodate.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
wanna hear something funny? my wife's olr 97 rav4 did that, with the soft sides up. we did lots of "sleeping" in that thing, ill tell you...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Yeah, I once had a girlfriend with a covertible geo metro - we did some, ahem, "sleeping" in that as well - not very comfortable though!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Percy said:
There may be a way to adjust the way the rear seats are mounted so that it can be made flat, but it might be easier to simply raise the cargo area to match, maybe a wood platform or somekind of storage box...

I was really excited about the pre-production rumors that the entire interior would fold flat.

Guess that was a bit much for Toyota to accomodate.

Ya my fealings exactly!--------I was thinking some kind of storage compartment to level up the rear area. I'd like to at least have the option to crash in the back if I need to. Like maybe a trip to Whistler, arriving late evening to feet and feet of powder and unreal hotel prices, If I can lay flat I'll be happy to save a couple hundred bucks snoozing in my FJ.-----Ya, thats where my head is right now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Ya my fealings exactly!--------I was thinking some kind of storage compartment to level up the rear area. I'd like to at least have the option to crash in the back if I need to. Like maybe a trip to Whistler, arriving late evening to feet and feet of powder and unreal hotel prices, If I can lay flat I'll be happy to save a couple hundred bucks snoozing in my FJ.-----Ya, thats where my head is right now :rolleyes:
On this end, I'm thinkin' the options monkey's might have built a big enough case that if I want an FJ, I will have to give up having a house! The ability to sleep in it might be necessary!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Ya my fealings exactly!--------I was thinking some kind of storage compartment to level up the rear area.
I was thinking of a roll-out load floor. It would take up the few inches difference in height and make things really easy to load and unload (like bikes). And you wouldn't be blocking any underfloor storage since there isn't any!

Jason

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
you could always do something like this....

·
Registered
228 Posts
After reading all of your posts about the lack of sleeping room in the FJ, I've decided to invent something to resolve this problem. I will make a product which you can set up outside of your car and then pop up with little sticks that connect. And I shall call it a tent.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
csherrill said:
After reading all of your posts about the lack of sleeping room in the FJ, I've decided to invent something to resolve this problem. I will make a product which you can set up outside of your car and then pop up with little sticks that connect. And I shall call it a tent.
Novel idea! :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ramblin Wreck said:
See, you can sleep in it after all. You just have to get the right accessory package.
:)
Wouldn't that be sleeping ON your FJ?

I like those hammocks granger! Those look very functional.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts