Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a 1989 Sea Ray 220 Overnighter. It says on the specs online that the dry weight is 3500Lbs. Does the dry weight include everything minus gas and any holding water? Does that weight include the engine? I am trying to figure out if the FJ will be able to tow it long distance. I figure the trailer for a bout that size (about 22') weighs in around 1000 to 1200Lbs. So i figure when i tow it i will have to drain the gas out. Even then i will be close to the 5000lbs limit for the FJ. What do you guys think? will i be ok? Also should i install a Transmission cooler. I found a link on here on how to do that it seems cheap and easy.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a 21' FourWinns. It weighs a little more and the lake is about 30 miles away. The FJ does great. But it can get interesting,

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Yes dry weight is hull and engine less all fluids. I personally hate towing less than 3k with the FJ. It has a short wheel base which is NOT good for towing. PM DOfj and talk to him about towing. He pushes the FJs limits with a 25' nordic from socal to havasu.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol I love these towing threads!
Yup I tow a 25' Nordic open bow 240 miles each way in extreme heat at times. 115-120 in arizona. I tow from California to Arizona.

No major problems except for a flat trailer tire
Perfect. Did you do the Transmission cooler install? or is it just stock?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as motor and drive tran I'm all stock. I'm running 295/70/17 tires and at55mph I average 11mpg without wind.
It tows nice and straight!
Man with gas prices i might as well have a moving company deliver it up here for me! haha. Anyway thanks for the information. I think my main problem is I have never towed anything before so I am a little nervous

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
If I were you, I would buy a cheap designated tow vehicle with a turbo diesel! Your milage will make up for the cost of the diesel and you won't stress out the FJ!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am getting a 1989 Sea Ray 220 Overnighter. It says on the specs online that the dry weight is 3500Lbs. Does the dry weight include everything minus gas and any holding water? Does that weight include the engine? I am trying to figure out if the FJ will be able to tow it long distance. I figure the trailer for a bout that size (about 22') weighs in around 1000 to 1200Lbs. So i figure when i tow it i will have to drain the gas out. Even then i will be close to the 5000lbs limit for the FJ. What do you guys think? will i be ok? Also should i install a Transmission cooler. I found a link on here on how to do that it seems cheap and easy.

Thanks for your help.
I think adding a transmission cooler would be a very good idea. They are not expensive.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
549 Posts
Heres mine, a 225 Crownline that according to spec dry weight is about the same at 3500. Im sure with gear, the trailer, & fuel (59 gallons full) it is slightly over the 5k capacity. The FJ does a great job pulling & stops pretty well too, I only tow it about 15 miles to the river each way but did tow it last year about 100 miles each way to a lake & it did great. Now I have added 285/75/16's and can notice a difference in how it pulls compared to the stock 265/75s that came on it but it still does great.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
With a 3500lbs boat you should be fine. Most trailers for that size boat are in the neighborhood of 1000lbs, So roughly 4500lbs.
This is assuming the trailer has a good set of brakes on it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
With a 3500lbs boat you should be fine. Most trailers for that size boat are in the neighborhood of 1000lbs, So roughly 4500lbs.
This is assuming the trailer has a good set of brakes on it.

Yes, I would agree that good trailer brakes are a must for safety. I also think a transmission cooler would be a wise addition, and they are not very expensive at all.

-FJ Florida-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts