Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Girls, I'm selling my 1 month old Kuat Sherpa white hitch mount bike rack. I'm looking to upgrade to the NV. I have the product manual and install instructions as well as the tools, basically everything supplied when new. The receiver is a 1.25" and 2" receiver type, it'll fit both. Currently I'm using it on FJ, so it's in 2" spec.

This rack is light weight and high quality. The build quality is better than Thule/Yakima and the rest.

From Kuat's website: Kuat Racks

I paid $400, it's literally brand new. Looking to get $300. I'm located in Southern California.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hate to open up an old tread, but...Do you have any problems opening the rear door with this rack with or without a bike on it? Is the NV that much better?

just sold my Yakima Hold up, couldn't open rear door, bought a Yakima Spare Time tire rack, marred my frame up and even fell off today...Really need a rack that will allow me to open the door and no destroy my expensive toys

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
hate to open up an old tread, but...Do you have any problems opening the rear door with this rack with or without a bike on it? Is the NV that much better?

just sold my Yakima Hold up, couldn't open rear door, bought a Yakima Spare Time tire rack, marred my frame up and even fell off today...Really need a rack that will allow me to open the door and no destroy my expensive toys

Thanks
Wow. How did it mar your frame? And how the heck did it fall off? Mine is on there solid! Did you adjust it after driving with it on for a bit as the instructions tell you to do? Got me worried now...

Sorry about the hijack BTW

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since my bikes runs several thousand dollars I thought I would share what I think is the best rack setup. I have a Yakima Hold Up (2 bike carrier) with the 2" receiver option. That gets stuck into a Harbor Freight dual receiver inverted to make a 4" drop. That dual receiver drop still has more clearance than 99% of vehicle on the road with a hitch reciever I do not scrape comming out of steep driveways or unpaved areas. The setup does not rattle. The Hold Up can be added to with the Hold Up Plus 2 which allows for 4 bikes total and comes with a pop up flag for extending over 3' from vehicle. The standard 2 bike carrier and dual reciver are under 3' from the vehicle. I think it's the best setup. Get to trail, remove bikes and you can then open the tail gate fully! The rack comes with a cable to lock the bikes to the rack with the included lock system. Pictures attached. Additionally I have the TRD exhaust out the side so it keeps bike tires away from hot exhaust. Probably wont be an issue for standard exhaust out the back but double check.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since my bikes runs several thousand dollars I thought I would share what I think is the best rack setup. I have a Yakima Hold Up (2 bike carrier) with the 2" receiver option. That gets stuck into a Harbor Freight dual receiver inverted to make a 4" drop. That dual receiver drop still has more clearance than 99% of vehicle on the road with a hitch reciever I do not scrape comming out of steep driveways or unpaved areas. The setup does not rattle. The Hold Up can be added to with the Hold Up Plus 2 which allows for 4 bikes total and comes with a pop up flag for extending over 3' from vehicle. The standard 2 bike carrier and dual reciver are under 3' from the vehicle. I think it's the best setup. Get to trail, remove bikes and you can then open the tail gate fully! The rack comes with a cable to lock the bikes to the rack with the included lock system. Pictures attached. Additionally I have the TRD exhaust out the side so it keeps bike tires away from hot exhaust. Probably wont be an issue for standard exhaust out the back but double check.
Inspector - you have made my day!! I use the same Yakima Hold Up for my $4,000 Orbea Road Bike and Scott MTB. Recently, I made the purchase of this rack system because I LOVE Yakima products and this exact rack (Yakima's most expensive but best in the lineup). I was troubled that there was no way to open the tail gate which pained me dearly. Your thoughtful engineering (at a very inexpensive cost) is exactly what I needed to see. I will be making a purchase of this dual hitch extender tonight! Thank you immensely for your suggestion. Lovin' my FJ more and more each day!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts