Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a few different kits and am narrowing it down. I like the SAW kit but from what I understand the rear shocks are a bit stiff and create a somewhat rough ride. Can someone that has the SAW kit elaborate on the ride vs. stock or other setups?

Thanks,
:cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ya the SAW rear shocks are too stiff. When going down a wash board road the vehicle tends to bounce and jar intead of soak up the bumps. Look into some Bilstein 5100s or some Old Man Emu shocks. If you Don't mind spending the money i think FOX shocks makes some rears that have adjustable dampening settings. Call up the guys at wheelersoffroad.com and see what they say. They helped me out alot!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd agree. Completely unloaded they are too stiff.

But if you are going out loaded down with gear and people or are towing, it softens up a lot. In fact, when towing our tent trailer it isn't "mushy" at all and you feel like you have a lot more control while towing.

So it really depends on what you intend to use your rig for. If it's just commuting, then I wouldn't even be looking at SAW at all.

But if you need that extra stiffness to keep from bottoming out or to keep your rear end up on a steep departure angle, then the SAWs may just be what you need.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with the above 2 posters. I've had my SAW's on my FJ for only 2 weeks now(Thanks Metaltech!!!). I've been off-roading with it once last weekend. Off-road, they're great. On-road, the rear is rough unloaded(think 1 ton pickup unloaded). Loaded down(recovery gear, etc) in the back, and it rides nice.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am leaning towards the Icon set up.

Thanks for the info.

·
fka fatbrat40
2,488 Posts
Look into the Icons..call Jason Demello..also look into King shocks..I have these on my
FJ for about a year and the ride is great on or off road..had them on for the Summit last year and they worked very well on the trails. Sure wish I could have made it down to
the run by Marble falls would have show you the set up. good luck

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I got the SAW Hybryd kit the Metal Tech sells which comes with the EMU rear springs and shocks. They ride great. Talk to Mark at Metal Tech he will set you up.

:cheers:

·
Registered
334 Posts
the hybrid saw setup is what i will be going with along with some adjustable uca's...
X2 on metal tech, mark is one of the most brilliant guys I have ever met, he knows his stuff, yet he can talk to the average joe... a true asset to the fj community!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Ya the SAW rear shocks are too stiff. When going down a wash board road the vehicle tends to bounce and jar intead of soak up the bumps. Look into some Bilstein 5100s or some Old Man Emu shocks. If you Don't mind spending the money i think FOX shocks makes some rears that have adjustable dampening settings. Call up the guys at wheelersoffroad.com and see what they say. They helped me out alot!
The fox setup is awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
17,095 Posts
I like my SAW Coilover Hybrid kit! Best money spent so far on the FJ. I've had mine on for 9 months and no issues. Great ride for desert running, rock climbing and pavement pounding. Good luck on your choice of suspension. Chris

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
For those that are having issues with the rear SAW shocks being too stiff you can change the nitrogen setting to have a softer dampening effect. You will need to go to a place that can charge the shocks with nitrogen and try the psi at 175 or 150. That will lower the amount of nitrogen pressure in the shock to help reduce the stiffness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had my saw's for about 4 mos. No problems. love them I don't have mounting issues with the resoviour cause there is none and the front adjustable are with 700lbs springs so the weight on the springs are nothing. The other adjustables have the 650lbs springs and might have to have the adjustable collar moved down far enough to preload the spring. My saws are only threaded down three so I have plenty of adjustability. Metel Tech was the way for me. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
816 Posts
For those that are having issues with the rear SAW shocks being too stiff you can change the nitrogen setting to have a softer dampening effect. You will need to go to a place that can charge the shocks with nitrogen and try the psi at 175 or 150. That will lower the amount of nitrogen pressure in the shock to help reduce the stiffness.
Is that something Metal Tech can do LT?

·
Registered
198 Posts
SAW suspension kit with springs on the shop truck. On the street a little rough, off-road in the desert it is awesome!!! we took a little nitrogen out of the rears...down to 175 for street use and they are great. Based on price against Kings and Fox, they are a great set-up!

So many suspension products so little money!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Camburg/OME hybrid and loving it! Great for hill climbs, mud ruts, street and sand runs at all speeds. Always adjustable for leveling, bumper/winch plans and eliminating any lean. Camburg coilovers are SAW's just valved and tuned to Camburg specs. OME 895E rear saves money over Camburg/SAW rear and is extremely durable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts