Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, it is an old joke on the forum. Can you sleep in it? For those that do or have, one of the problems can be ventilation versus insects that may be attracted to lights or people/food in the FJ.

By no means, am I clever enough to THINK of something like this myself. In fact, it was taken from Tom Sheppards' "Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide". Section 4.2 37.

Through the wonder of ebay, I was able to obtain an army surplus military pup tent made from mosquito net. I scored one for 15 bucks shipped to my door and proceded to cut, measure, measure again, and suture a form that slips over the top of the door frames. Some may refer to it as sewing, but I prefer to be known as someone that sutures....lol.

The two sides are constructed slightly differently, and I will match them when I figure out which design works best. Driver's side has one layer, and is attached to the door by magnetic tape sutured into the mesh on the three inferior surfaces and by forming a flap that settles on the top part of the door. The passenger side is a double layer that fits somewhat like an envelope, with the lower side being held down by magnetic tape on the outside portion and with the vertical surfaces sutured to fit the size of the door.

Yeah, it is pseudo-ghetto in its construction, but it does serve its purpose. Time will show if it will be functional or tossed away into the trash. :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Great idea!

Sleeping in it sucks during spring summer or fall because of the mosquitos. I may try to something of the same.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Very cool, I might have to try something like this. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
A simple elegant solution - I salute you - :ninja:

-

-

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
well done

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Very NICE!!! I think that "sewing" this could definitely be on my horizon!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice idea!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like it as well.....I wonder if one could sew in some small diameter shock cord, like the cord used in tent poles, around the outside to create a frame of sorts to be pulled around the window. Once in place you and use a cord lock to tighten and viola a screen window........Hmmmmmm.....I'll have to see if the wife will let me borrow her sewing machine this weekend! :bandit:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I like it as well.....I wonder if one could sew in some small diameter shock cord, like the cord used in tent poles, around the outside to create a frame of sorts to be pulled around the window. Once in place you and use a cord lock to tighten and viola a screen window........Hmmmmmm.....I'll have to see if the wife will let me borrow her sewing machine this weekend! :bandit:
This was actually my fix for the REAR window. The only way, really, to get a good seal.

I like the simplicity of the way the Passendger side was done in the original post. Mainly because it can be fabricated in about three minutes with a standard sewing machine $5 of materials.

Sold.

This is what I am doing. "Envelopes" for the front two windows and a screen "shower cap" for the rear window.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After taking these things off a few times, I have decided to go with the passenger side, double layer, envelope design. The main reason is that there would not be a driver's side/passenger's side fitment for the screens as there would be with using the flap model on the driver's door. Either side would fit on the other with the passenger door design. It is also a bit easier to fit to the window since all you are doing is dropping it down over the door frame. Cosmetically, it looks cleaner too.

This was all cut and put together by hand. A sewing machine would have yielded MUCH cleaner lines and cut down the time of the project by 90% or more.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
What if you attached the netting to wire (coat hanger style wire also suitable for roasting marshmellows) and slipped the wire into the slots where the glass window slides on both sides and on the top? Would that be a workable solution?

Those of us who spend a lot of time in the desert don't have that many mosquito problems because there isn't any water for them to propagate in, but I can definitely see the useful nature of this mod.

Great idea!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What if you attached the netting to wire (coat hanger style wire also suitable for roasting marshmellows) and slipped the wire into the slots where the glass window slides on both sides and on the top? Would that be a workable solution?

Those of us who spend a lot of time in the desert don't have that many mosquito problems because there isn't any water for them to propagate in, but I can definitely see the useful nature of this mod.

Great idea!
Uphill, it is ironic that you mentioned this, because I actually did a trial run and made a mock-up that failed for a couple of reasons. Once i installed the wire into the slots on the window frame, it was a challenge to get them out without damaging the nets once they were installed. Second, the tolerances for getting everything sized right were MUCH tighter than those on the slip over design.

I was able to complete the slip-over cover in about an hour, compared to about 3 for the driver's door....again, the tolerances were much tighter on the driver's side because of the design needing to fit tightly on all sides to obtain a decent appearance. With the slip-on version, you only have to get "close"; in fact, because the passenger version fits more loosely around the door, it was MUCH easier to fabricate, measure, and construct. Once the door closes, a tight seal is formed and any extra material is not seen from the interior or exterior because it is between the door frame and body.

Long story short (too late)....The slip over design is much easier to make and provides better results, both functionally as well as from a cosmetic perspective. With a sewing machine, it would be MUCH easier and MUCH more attractive from a cosmetic view point.

We have mosquitos here that are the size of quarters and that hunt in packs, There also have been cases of West Nile Virus in our area. So in a way, this mod can be considered preventative health maintenance. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ghetto looking....I have some window screening from the hardware store and some magnets holding mine to the truck.Yours looks way better than mine. I just close in the top in the door and apply a handful of magnets to the exterior door frame to keep the skeeters out.Worked great for me....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts