Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at a lot of miltary amphibious vehicles, they'll usually have some sort of fording plate that folds down to prevent water from rushing up over the vehicle. Have any of you ever seen this incorporated into someone's offroad rig?

If you didn't have a snorkel, I supposed it could buy you a couple extra inches when making a water crossing though it would still be a bit risky.

It might not be worth it, just something I was thinking of today. Have any of you ever tried something like this or seen somebody who has?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Got a picture of what you mean?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
If you look at a lot of miltary amphibious vehicles, they'll usually have some sort of fording plate that folds down to prevent water from rushing up over the vehicle. Have any of you ever seen this incorporated into someone's offroad rig?

If you didn't have a snorkel, I supposed it could buy you a couple extra inches when making a water crossing though it would still be a bit risky.

It might not be worth it, just something I was thinking of today. Have any of you ever tried something like this or seen somebody who has?
I have an idea what you're talking about. The closest thing I've seen is Todd's Air2Air vehicle with a flat plate front that would cause a wake in front of the vehicle with a constant speed.

However, I haven't seen anything with a keel or beam sort of protuberance to split the wake.

I certainly wouldn't have the SACEJEWEA to pull this maneuver. Not sure taking my FJ deep water swimming above about 25" is in the cards. Lots of mods to do before I do this. Axle,transmission,xfercase breathers, snorkel, poss different pulley bearings.

Great idea though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I attached a few pics with arrows pointing to the fording plates. They fold away when not in use. Not sure how practical it would be. Basically it just pushes the water to the sides. Just curious if it has been done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I attached a few pics with arrows pointing to the fording plates. They fold away when not in use. Not sure how practical it would be. Basically it just pushes the water to the sides. Just curious if it has been done.
I have only seen them on true Anfibs.. The FJ is no Anfib.. By no means. And won't last long in water deep enough to make you float.. So I think this is why we haven't seen anything like this... But hey, make one and lets see how the FJ does in really deep water, deep enough to make it float...:lol:

:cheers:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have only seen them on true Anfibs.. The FJ is no Anfib.. By no means. And won't last long in water deep enough to make you float.. So I think this is why we haven't seen anything like this... But hey, make one and lets see how the FJ does in really deep water, deep enough to make it float...
As I said, I didn't think it was particularly practical, but I've been pretty amazed at some of the clever ideas and ingenuity of some people on these boards and was wondering if anybody had tried anything similar.

Of course, I didn't mean to fully float the FJ!:lol: I meant it for water which is at the level of the hood or just slightly above. For instance, some people here have snorkels which end at about the roof level of the truck yet they have diff/trans breathers which terminate under the hood. A fording plate like this might keep hood/slightly-above-hood-level-water out of the engine compartment and off their breathers or electronics, and besides it would just look cool :rocker:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
As I said, I didn't think it was particularly practical, but I've been pretty amazed at some of the clever ideas and ingenuity of some people on these boards and was wondering if anybody had tried anything similar.

Of course, I didn't mean to fully float the FJ!:lol: I meant it for water which is at the level of the hood or just slightly above. For instance, some people here have snorkels which end at about the roof level of the truck yet they have diff/trans breathers which terminate under the hood. A fording plate like this might keep hood/slightly-above-hood-level-water out of the engine compartment and off their breathers or electronics, and besides it would just look cool :rocker:
Might look cool, might even improve your fording ability in terms of depth as you mentioned in your OP. Your mileage, on the other hand, would be like you were towing the Empire State building. ;

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They can fold flat after use so during normal driving it is tucked away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts