Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you know that I spoke with Forest Service rangers on Friday, and an Alpine Ranger on Saturday, and neither of them had run into any troubles or complaints, nor had they heard of any from any FJ's on the trails over a three day period.

If you think about how many of us were up there, and not having a single incident during the Summit, you all have to pat yourselves on the back. We have continued to have a great track record in the Mountains of Ouray and Silverton year after year, and it is because of you all !

So thank you from the bottom of all the FJ Volunteer's hearts for your good and responsible wheeling !

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I saw several (official types) at various places, and always made a point of waving and keeping the dust down....a little goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you know that I spoke with Forest Service rangers on Friday, and an Alpine Ranger on Saturday, and neither of them had run into any troubles or complaints, nor had they heard of any from any FJ's on the trails over a three day period.

If you think about how many of us were up there, and not having a single incident during the Summit, you all have to pat yourselves on the back. We have continued to have a great track record in the Mountains of Ouray and Silverton year after year, and it is because of you all !

So thank you from the bottom of all the FJ Volunteer's hearts for your good and responsible wheeling !
This is great to hear!:rocker: This will help to keep the Summit going for a long time.:clap:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I talked to two of the guys that drive rigs for the guided tours...the big 4x4s that take people up Imogene and to Bridal Veil Falls from the Telluride side....they both stated the FJ guys/gals were all competent and considerate of others on trail and they were never a problem from his interactions.....said they have some issues at jeep jamboree but never any with FJers... :D :D

·
Registered
934 Posts
I stopped and talked to a resident of Ophir and she said that we were the best bunch of off roaders she had seen. She mentioned that she did not see one FJ that was going fast through town and that most were going well below the speed limit. I thanked her for her time and told her we would be back next year and she said we should give lessons to the other groups that go through the town.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
The only poor four-wheeling behavior I witnessed the whole week was a green Jeep full of shirtless (and gutless, no doubt) punks going too fast. They met me on Imogene on Friday and on Ophir on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I stopped and talked to a resident of Ophir and she said that we were the best bunch of off roaders she had seen. She mentioned that she did not see one FJ that was going fast through town and that most were going well below the speed limit. I thanked her for her time and told her we would be back next year and she said we should give lessons to the other groups that go through the town.
My amusing observation is that, both on Fri and Sat while in or getting close to Ophir, I got my doors blown off by locals.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The only poor four-wheeling behavior I witnessed the whole week was a green Jeep full of shirtless (and gutless, no doubt) punks going too fast. They met me on Imogene on Friday and on Ophir on Saturday.
What I witessed that was negative, in all forms, was Jeepers, and at that, mostly the red rental ones. Makes me want to go back, make sure I'm not wearing any FJ hats or shirts or anything, and pretend I want to rent a Jeep....just to see what kind of "instruction" or laying down of rules & guidelines there is.

Based on what I saw, it was probably close to none. "Got a credit card? A driver's license? Here's a map and the keys!"

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The USFS Alpine Ranger that was mingling with us on Saturday evening, Warren Barker, was up on Camp Bird Road with a radar gun the following Saturday. As he was set up right next to my camp site I wandered over and talked with him. Once he found out I was with the FJ Summit group he had a few very nice comments: 'the FJ group was very well behaved and the event was run very professionally". He also stated "the tour truck drivers, who sorta think they own the high country, reported no problems with the FJ crowd". I thanked him and promised I would post his comments. Done.

I remember the Jeep full of yahoos, but not sure where.

Ace

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,388 Posts
Another bash Jeep owners thread?

Well hell, like already stated they might not even be Jeep owners, just Jeep renters. Who knows what they really drive/own but we should find out so we can talk sh1t about that kind of car/truck......... As long as we can perpetuate the "we are better than you" attitude. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
As a trail leader it was always interesting to see the reaction of the oncoming traffic as we were always friendly and waving how many rigs were coming along behind. Nice waves back, mostly "thanks" and some blank stares. Closest thing to an attitude or maybe "commentary" was from an unhappy looking guy driving a yellow 97/98 Suburban full of family/friends coming up Imogene Saturday morning. As I passed noting there were 7 FJs coming up his response was, "RISING SUN, HUH?" Oh well, maybe it was cuz all the FJ pilots and crew always had big smiles on their faces (its natural).

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
The USFS Alpine Ranger that was mingling with us on Saturday evening, Warren Barker, was up on Camp Bird Road with a radar gun the following Saturday. As he was set up right next to my camp site I wandered over and talked with him. Once he found out I was with the FJ Summit group he had a few very nice comments: 'the FJ group was very well behaved and the event was run very professionally". He also stated "the tour truck drivers, who sorta think they own the high country, reported no problems with the FJ crowd". I thanked him and promised I would post his comments. Done.

I remember the Jeep full of yahoos, but not sure where.

Ace

Radar gun?? Is there a posted speed limit on the trails around Ouray now?

Just curious....haven't been up there in a while.

Sean

·
Registered
872 Posts
Radar gun?? Is there a posted speed limit on the trails around Ouray now?

Just curious....haven't been up there in a while.

Sean
I don't now about all of them, but heading out to Imogene, Yankee Boy and Govenors Basin there are posted signs. All other trails we were told were 25. I believe last year someone was even ticketed for speeding... though not sure where.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I don't now about all of them, but heading out to Imogene, Yankee Boy and Govenors Basin there are posted signs. All other trails we were told were 25. I believe last year someone was even ticketed for speeding... though not sure where.
Wow, I had no idea. I've zipped along on those roads a ton of times....not having any clue there was any speed limit other than how fast my suspension could handle it.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
As a trail leader it was always interesting to see the reaction of the oncoming traffic as we were always friendly and waving how many rigs were coming along behind. Nice waves back, mostly "thanks" and some blank stares. Closest thing to an attitude or maybe "commentary" was from an unhappy looking guy driving a yellow 97/98 Suburban full of family/friends coming up Imogene Saturday morning. As I passed noting there were 7 FJs coming up his response was, "RISING SUN, HUH?" Oh well, maybe it was cuz all the FJ pilots and crew always had big smiles on their faces (its natural).
I'm sure the "Rising Sun" comment was because the vehicles he saw in front of him were from Japan. The war time flag until the end of WWII had a meaning that was something about the Land of Rising Sun. Was he, by any chance, the right age to have fought in WWII? It most likely upset the guy to see a Japanese product, as he probably still sees Japan as the enemy.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
My amusing observation is that, both on Fri and Sat while in or getting close to Ophir, I got my doors blown off by locals.
Ya, I saw that on Friday too. Then leaving Ophir we had a P/U with 4 teens in it, they wanted to start something. I just laughed and drove off.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'm sure the "Rising Sun" comment was because the vehicles he saw in front of him were from Japan. The war time flag until the end of WWII had a meaning that was something about the Land of Rising Sun. Was he, by any chance, the right age to have fought in WWII? It most likely upset the guy to see a Japanese product, as he probably still sees Japan as the enemy.
The Colorado Front Range TLCA chapter is named "Rising Sun".

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I saw these guys too on Ophir on Sat afternoon. They were coming down as we were headed up and came rumbling down the trail. They did slow down when we passed each other at a wider spot but then revved up and accelerated right when they were next to us and then I heard a rock scrape and bang along the whole under carriage of their Jeep... thought that was funny.

I have absolutely no problems with Jeeps (used to drive one and loved it and always had a good time with other Jeepers) but these individuals were just a tad silly, especially since it seems like a fair number of people saw them on Ophir throughout the weekend. They seemed like the kind of guys who would hot rod around Ophir shirtless all weekend and then tell folks at home they did some awesome off-roading in the Ouray area.

But ot stick to the original note of the thread I'm glad to hear we left a good impression and I have to say I met some really great people on the trip!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts