Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Forest Service, OHV Routes, and YOU

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BIGGUY 
#1 ·
Ack, the deeper I dig, the sadder it is for EVERYONE in the OHV world :(

http://www.ufwda.org/landuse/ohvrule/FINAL_Rule_Article_Problems.pdf

.....Therefore, we will lose 40,315 miles or roads in the Eastern forests alone with the stroke of a pen when these forests announce they have issued the motor vehicle use map in accordance with the rule. Because once they issue the announcement OHV use is limited to the roads and trails appearing on the map, and assuredly none of the 40,000+ non-system roads we used legitimately in 1997 will be on that map.
Everyone should check out United Four Wheel Drive Associations Official Site - United Online - An International Organization and BlueRibbon Coalition - Preserving your recreational public land access to see why the Blue Ribbon Coalition asks for money. The opposition has dozens of organized groups, we only have a few and we are losing be miles :(

#2 ·
Everyone that can should help support organizations like those listed above if they want continued access to the backcountry. The anti-offroad organizations have seemingly limitless resources and time to fight for closure and we need to hire equal representation to keep our rights! Thanks MissFJ for pointing this out.

#4 ·
I belong to both United 4 Wheel Drive Association and the Blue Ribbon Coalition and donate when and what I can. I look at it this way, what good is it going to do to put money into my rig and not donate some to save the trails. If the trails are closed, all the toys on the vehicle are going to be wasted. If I can't plan ahead and set aside some money to help, then I shouldn't even be in the game.

#7 ·
The Blue Ribbon Coalition gets a lot of negative publicity, not sure how much of it is true, or just "the other side" speaking their mind...
Blue Ribbon Bedfellows

Other organizations out there, U4WDA, MW4WDA are doing a lot more grass roots work and haven't received nearly as much negative publicity as the BRC.

Either way you look at it, they are out there fighting to keep trails open as well as trying to get new trails opened for us to wheel on. I'm not sure if any money that was made from the FJ Summit was donated to any of the national organizations, but it would have been cool to see that happen.

Bottom line, donate, donate, donate, and then ask a friend to donate. If we want to continue doing what we enjoy, we need someone lobbying for us in Washington...

#8 ·
You can look at in this way. If it wasn't for the timber, mining, oil/gas, or other industries over the years, the roads and trails we like to use wouldn't be there in the first place. I don't want to see everything developed but I'm tired of existing roads and trails being closed and then reading about the gov. agencies complaining that the places are getting to crowded. If we have to accept money from these businesses to help then maybe that's a necessary evil in some ways. The groups that are against us have a lot more money coming in and a Million dollars to them is like pocket change.

I guess if people are complaining about the BRC, they must be doing something right.

We need to get the groups affected by the trails and roads being closed consolidated or we will be picked off one by one. I remember a few years ago when the mt. bikers in an area were siding against four wheelers and wanted them off of the trails. They were kicked out right after the four wheelers were. The people that don't want us on the trails also don't want the motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, horses, and in some cases hunters on the trails either. If we can get everyone together and working on the problems and get people to donate a little it would do wonders. It amazes me that people will put $10,000 into modifying their rig, but won't give $10.00 to help keep the trails open. It seems that they are the first to ***** when the trail is lost though.

If I put that $10,000 into my rig to enjoy the trails, I don't feel that it's asking to much to put $100 or a $1000 into helping the sport. I live in a fairly remote area, Wy, but I'm only about 5-6 hours from Ouray and Moab and other places. I can't get to the trail cleanups and the different local fund raisers so I joined the UFWDA, The BRC, The Utah Association, and the Colorado Association to get info and I donate from afar. If it happens that I can get to one of these get togethers I would be more than willing to help out.

Another thing is the fact that we need to start policing ourselves a bit or it's going to keep biting us. I'm tired of going places and seeing the trash laying around and new routes cut into the sides of the mountain. If you can't make it over or through the normal route, go to another one that you can make it through. And how hard is it to carry a garbage bag and take your trash out with you? I've been on trail runs with my pickup in Moab that people asked if they could load me up with trail trash and I've had 3/4 of a truck load by the end of the trail.

I guess it comes down to thinking about what's important and what's it worth to you personally. Do you want to donate and volunteer and continue to enjoy yourself with your custom rig, or do you want to sit back and watch and wait until it's to late??

Just think, that lift and winch will look better on the trail than at the mall.

Jim

#9 ·
I wasn't saying that the BRC is a bad organization by any means, I was just pointing out that they do get bad publicity. By no means am I against them in any way as I'm a member.

I agree that all the little "small" organizations, whether they be ATV, mountain bike, snowmobile, etc. clubs would put all their resources in one general bucket, we'd all be a lot better off. Heck, I was at Cruise Moab this year and we shared the trail with well over 50 bikers during the day. Actually gave a couple of them some much needed water.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with you, and if I came off as not being, then I apologize.

#12 ·
Sorry about that, I thought about how this might look like I thought you were down on BRC after I logged off last night. I didn't mean it that way, but as a general statement.

We have helped bikers with water and flats a few times on the trails at Moab.

#10 · (Edited)
Coming from a mountain bike background none of this surprises me. Gaining and keeping access to public lands is a full time job. I am not sure why certain groups assume that the only good nature is that which is protected beyond belief.

Where I live there is a 7000 acre tract of land that is public property. The only way to access that place is by foot or hoof. No OHV and certainly no mountain bikes. Sadly it is by far the most under utilized waste I have ever seen. Only a handful of people visit the park because it is on absolute lockdown.

I speak from a different place than most but the fact is that hippies rule the world. If not the world than at very least Kentucky. They don't wear tie dye anymore, but they hold high paying government jobs and fierce devotion to protecting the environment. And there agenda is to see to it that parks are only enjoyed the way they were in the 1600's. They hate dams....they hate motors....they hate bikes....and I am not so sure they don't hate happiness......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.