Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several people have inquired about the forward-facing camera system I have in my FJ. It's been very useful for driving over blind crests and as a substitute or supplement for a spotter during my off road trips (as it was intended to do). The cameras enable the driver to see the ground immediately in front of the bumper, otherwise obscured by the hood. The system uses two "fish eye" cameras mounted in each of the trim panels at the front corners, which feed two monitors mounted in a custom enclosure in place of the storage bin in the dash above the instrument cluster (see images below).

Al & Ed's Autosound in Santa Monica/Brentwood, CA was able to take my vision for a system like this and turn it into a reality. For those of you interested in discussing the technical specifics of the system, or if you would like to duplicate the effort, please contact Mikel Zimmerman at (818) 266-6342 or [email protected]. Mikel has been receptive to the idea of creating a kit for other FJ owners.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I was fortunate to see this in action at the HV run. Thank you for letting me ride along. This is a impressive system and very nicely designed.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
That is very cool, I'm glad you posted this. I have been thinking about something along the same lines ever since I went out to Ouray, CO last year. I thought of putting two samll cameras up under the front bumper, then running two screens the same way in the driver compartment. I really like your setup, I will have to look into this further. What type of cost would some be looking at with the same type of system that your running, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for posting. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of cost would some be looking at with the same type of system that your running, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for posting. :)
Since the camera system was just one part of the complete AV makeover, I don't have pricing for the system alone - but Mikel at Al & Ed's will be able to nail that down for you.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Called and left a message. :) Can't wait to hear back from him.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I just spoke to Mikel, and here's the deal:

For the setup as shown, it's like $2245 installed.

The screens can take upto two additional inputs (so up to 3 cameras per screen). Each camera is $400.

The cameras shown are good daytime cameras, but if you want, they could be augmented with led night vision (like security cameras such that you get colour images in the day and reflected monochrome at night). This is an extra $100 per camera. They're also thinking about under-vehicle lighting options.

Also, they can put calibrated lines on the camera output that cleanly identify (say) 1 foot from the rear bumper (for reverse).

The camera housings are completely water proof.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Also, they can put calibrated lines on the camera output that cleanly identify (say) 1 foot from the rear bumper (for reverse).
Very Cool, Thanks Mark!

So, let''s see, I could have them install a "Mil-Dot" system on my cameras and get "Range Finding" and "Target Acquisition" infromation from my cameras! :cowsmile: J/K

It would be cool, though, it would alow you to know exactly how far from a ledge or obstacle you are when out on the trail, nice. :)

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
So, let''s see, I could have them install a "Mil-Dot" system on my cameras and get "Range Finding" and "Target Acquisition" infromation from my cameras! :cowsmile: J/K
You know, I did forget to ask whether they could bundle that with a HMG :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Just spoke to Michel as well. I asked specifically about a camera for the differential area. He said that's not a problem. More ways to spend money.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I installed a similar setup but it's more on the sideview and 30% frontal coverage. I'll change the placement of the mounting bracket this weekend and make it lower to be able to see the ground about 2-3 feet in front of the tires.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
NDA, where did you place this LCD panel? Is is a replacement for the radio? That's a very bright image.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
NDA, where did you place this LCD panel? Is is a replacement for the radio? That's a very bright image.
Yes, it's a replacement for the FJ Jammer, a Toyota OEM Navigation unit that came from a 2005 Camry. The side view camera is Eclipse FEC106 plus the Eclipse CAB106- power supply/video feeder. The CAB106 is also controlling the backup camera BEC106.

The resolution is much clearer in person.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yes, it's a replacement for the FJ Jammer, a Toyota OEM Navigation unit that came from a 2005 Camry. The side view camera is Eclipse FEC106 plus the Eclipse CAB106- power supply/video feeder. The CAB106 is also controlling the backup camera BEC106.

The resolution is much clearer in person.
It looks pretty good from what you've shown. How much was your setup?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
It looks pretty good from what you've shown. How much was your setup?

For my system’s (audio/video) setup, my current expense is about $3000.
These are the equipments;
- 2005 Camry Voice Navigation unit
- Toyota amplifier (from a Tundra)
- Lexus DVD player
- iPod with Vaistech interface
- Toyota XM radio/fit kit
- Eclipse cameras
- Voice Command/Microphone switcher
- NAVI/Video anytime (VSS signal generator)

BTW, labor is free - all DIY and cost of beers not included.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks NDA. You certainly have an interesting setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts