Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
11,214 Posts
There's no denying the TTUE's resale value, but I think the math may contradict the myth here, at least as far as the TTUE being "rare" goes. According to Wikipedia, 14,718 FJ Cruisers were sold in 2014. As we all know, 2,500 of those were TTUEs, or 17%. That leaves the remaining 83% (12,218 FJs) split amongst the remaining 6 colors. Assuming they were produced in equal amounts, that means each remaining color represents 14% of the total 2014 FJs sold, or 2,036 FJs in each color not Heritage Blue. So... the TTUE might not be the most "rare" of the 2014 FJs after all. :p
Those numbers do NOT take into account the 25 TTUE's that went to Hawaii, but some will eventually make there way to the mainland. There's a thread on this. Wiki also says the number is really 2501 or is it really 2526 when you add the 25 from HI with no 1 of 2500 badge? :unsure: Wait! What? No badges? And 2501? One went somewhere... but Toyota ain't telling. :sneaky:

Aloha

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's no denying the TTUE's resale value, but I think the math may contradict the myth here, at least as far as the TTUE being "rare" goes. According to Wikipedia, 14,718 FJ Cruisers were sold in 2014. As we all know, 2,500 of those were TTUEs, or 17%. That leaves the remaining 83% (12,218 FJs) split amongst the remaining 6 colors. Assuming they were produced in equal amounts, that means each remaining color represents 14% of the total 2014 FJs sold, or 2,036 FJs in each color not Heritage Blue. So... the TTUE might not be the most "rare" of the 2014 FJs after all. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wouldn’t you have to take into account all the FJs produced from 2007 - 2014 to calculate those percentages??? They made those 6 colors during all those production years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Those numbers do NOT take into account the 25 TTUE's that went to Hawaii, but some will eventually make there way to the mainland. There's a thread on this. Wiki also says the number is really 2501 or is it really 2526 when you add the 25 from HI with no 1 of 2500 badge? :unsure: Wait! What? No badges? And 2501? One went somewhere... but Toyota ain't telling. :sneaky:

Aloha
Good point - I had heard of the 2526 number, but didn't want to use it since it wasn't "official." 26 more TTUEs would (slightly) bump the percentage of TTUEs above 17%.
Wouldn’t you have to take into account all the FJs produced from 2007 - 2014 to calculate those percentages??? They made those 6 colors during all those production years.
No, because those colors were not produced in all years. The TTUE was only produced in 2014, so I kept the comparison to model year 2014 FJs. Every model year had a variation of colors, and also a variation in the number of colors produced. See this link:

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
162 Posts
WIN / WIN
Just don't wait too long or someone else will make the decision for you.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welcome to the TTUE club! I have had mine for a month and love it. Yes, most of us that bought these fairly recently have paid a premium, but what the heck, it's what we wanted! I love mine.
We are 2014 brothers! Yea my buyer's remorse is wearing off and the ecstasy of owning this beauty is creeping up. Pretty much a life changer owning this vehicle for me. Can't wait to start hitting some trails/camping/hiking with it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
WIN / WIN
Just don't wait too long or someone else will make the decision for you.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
It's mine now! Definitely had some buyers remorse just because it's a huge amount of money for me but damn, it's wearing off and I'm realizing how much more awesome my life just became!

·
Registered
35 Posts
In the future: check out the car yourself. Has it been in a wreck? Stick your head around inside and below and look for skinned up or bent metal. That will tip it off. If it has been in a wreck, the paint available in this country is far different than the original baked finish, at some point the repaired section will show differently. Look to see if the vehicle has been off road a lot.
In the car business, they have a saying "There's an ass for every seat" meaning eventually somebody will buy anything. If they asked $33K they will take $30K, maybe even less. If they just took it in and haven't bothered to wash or detail it, they want it gone. Have fun, these are fabulous cars and a lot of people still want one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome, I feel I overpaid for my 10 TT but in comparison to a new TRD 4Runner, pretty reasonable. Have fun!

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's mine now! Definitely had some buyers remorse just because it's a huge amount of money for me but damn, it's wearing off and I'm realizing how much more awesome my life just became!
Congratulations!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
In the future: check out the car yourself. Has it been in a wreck? Stick your head around inside and below and look for skinned up or bent metal. That will tip it off. If it has been in a wreck, the paint available in this country is far different than the original baked finish, at some point the repaired section will show differently. Look to see if the vehicle has been off road a lot.
In the car business, they have a saying "There's an ass for every seat" meaning eventually somebody will buy anything. If they asked $33K they will take $30K, maybe even less. If they just took it in and haven't bothered to wash or detail it, they want it gone. Have fun, these are fabulous cars and a lot of people still want one.
It's crazy. The dealership has be swamped with people buying used cars. They were swamped the day I test drove the car.
It's in immaculate condition. NO signs of wear and tear and not a single sign of rust. I'll verify the maintenance history and recall discrepancy before I buy on Monday but I'm sure it's all good to go! They must have gone over the car themselves right? They can't just receive a car and then put it on the lot for sale without having gone over it first, that seems pretty illegal or something. Anyway, I'll check it all out on Monday before I officially pay in full and get the keys! Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Congrats,

Once you get a few well-earned pinstripes on the sides and scrape the skid plates once or twice, you will feel more liberated to take it places where the Mall-crawlers can't go. Six years in, I now take pride in utilizing all the TTUE features without hesitation.
Yessir! I'm definitely going to be using the machine for what it was made for. I'm in Pennsylvania so my first priority is to fluid-film the bottom chassis to prevent rust from from the salted roads we have in the winter time. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'm freakin' pumped!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
It’s your money spend as you like. I paid a premium for my TTUE, no regrets....

Reactions: mrktstrtmyhm

·
Registered
35 Posts
It’s your money spend as you like. I paid a premium for my TTUE, no regrets....
Mine is a 2006 Voodoo Blue. If I had it to do over I'd have bought the Yellow one. The late model FJs have some super cool colors. Pure white is great,They have a Khaki and loads of modern colors. I have a friend who owns a body shop. He says that the paint job on the FJs is something that cannot be duplicated here. It is a baked using paints that you can't even buy in the US. I overpaid for mine by about $2K. There were just a few on the road in 2006 and the price was all over. Everyone wanted an FJ and we were all on the excitement plan. I told the salesman I would pay $27K and he said "Fine", I knew I had screwed up but too late pal!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts

Aloha
The "2501" produced number may have come from the recall numbers below. Numbers were from Toyota, so probably correct. The extra one could have been the premier show truck outfitted as a TTUE but was originally white. Not sure about the HI trucks, but if they had the shocks, they would be in the 2500 if they are covered by NHTSA, no?
"Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2014 FJ Cruiser vehicles equipped with an optional "Trail Teams Ultimate Edition" package, in which the front shock absorbers and springs were replaced at vehicle processing centers.
Receipt Date: SEP 08, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V539000
Component(s): SUSPENSION
Potential Number of Units Affected: 2,501"

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
162 Posts

Aloha
I have a 2013 TT, someone on the forum had me look in the drivers side door jam and above the door latch is another sticker that shows what number of 2500 mine is 181 / 2500. The VIN sticker at the bottom right also shows #181. Would love to see what one of the outside rouge TT FJ's VIN shows.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 2013 TT, someone on the forum had me look in the drivers side door jam and above the door latch is another sticker that shows what number of 2500 mine is 181 / 2500. The VIN sticker at the bottom right also shows #181. Would love to see what one of the outside rouge TT FJ's VIN shows.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
My 2010 TT also has a 3 digit number located in the places you mention. I'm quite sure yours just reads 181, not 181/2500.

I don't believe this number has anything to do with the production count on TT FJ's.

I could be wrong though. :)

21 - 40 of 71 Posts