Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
162 Posts
I had someone on the forum tell me to take a look and see what number I have. Mine appear to be different from theirs but to your point it may not be correct, would be interesting to do some more research. The same number is located on the larger ViIN sticker. I guess one thing to look for is check and see if only only trail team FJ’s have the sticker above the door latch and if they both do what is different if anything.
<><. <><. <><. <*((^(((><

Attachments

·
Vendor
62 Posts
Been searching FJ cruisers for a while now and right in my backyard is the rarest of them all.

2014 Ultimate Edition Trail Team Series Heritage Blue - 82500 miles - Asking $33,000!
6k depreciation in 6 years is amazing right?
EDIT: I put a downpayment on it to hold it because it has so much interest. BUT the dealership hasn't even serviced it upon delivery 2 weeks ago and claim they can't service it until end of the month or later due to being so busy.
I'm not comfortable at all paying upwards of 35k for this car that hasn't even been looked at or inspected. Although it is a one owner, looks immaculate (tires look brand new), and is the TTUE..I"m not crazy right?
I can't take it to a local mechanic for pre-purchase inspection because well, I"d have to buy it to get it off the lot. So I'm kinda stuck. I mean, the dealer is reputable but I know they just want me to sign the dotted line and get their money in the end. Should I just keep the deposit and let them hold it until it's serviced, then take it to a mechanic to get a PPI? I don't know anyone who can come check it out on the lot.
Any help here would be great!
@mrktstrtmyhm As a dealer that specializes in Trail Teams, I'd suggest having them go through the car and do the service. $33k for TTUE with 82k is probably about right for market value if it is rust free underneath. Trail Teams, and all FJs are pretty bullet proof, but little things can add up. Most franchise dealers will have minimum standards for their used cars when they sell them (recalls done, brakes to spec, tires to spec, etc.). That said, I take all my FJs to Toyota for pre-purchase inspection and then do all the service and I almost always spend between $400-1200 to bring a super clean one up to standards. It is usually a bunch of little things but they add up. I think one time I had to repair an oil leak, but usually it is brakes, fluids, battery, etc. The biggest thing that I tend to run into is windshield ($500) and the tires frequently have plenty of tread depth, but the tires are old and at a certain point if there is cracking, I just replace them all - lives are far more important than money to me (typically $1200). Have your dealership check manufacturing date. If they are original, have them inspect for cracking....you might be able to get them to put new rubber on for you.

Also a lot of dealerships are really backed up with service as they are "catching up" from the Covid shut down. It is not uncommon. A good TTUE is a rare find....be patient.....and, good luck! TTUEs are great and are holding/increasing in value quite nicely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@mrktstrtmyhm As a dealer that specializes in Trail Teams, I'd suggest having them go through the car and do the service. $33k for TTUE with 82k is probably about right for market value if it is rust free underneath. Trail Teams, and all FJs are pretty bullet proof, but little things can add up. Most franchise dealers will have minimum standards for their used cars when they sell them (recalls done, brakes to spec, tires to spec, etc.). That said, I take all my FJs to Toyota for pre-purchase inspection and then do all the service and I almost always spend between $400-1200 to bring a super clean one up to standards. It is usually a bunch of little things but they add up. I think one time I had to repair an oil leak, but usually it is brakes, fluids, battery, etc. The biggest thing that I tend to run into is windshield ($500) and the tires frequently have plenty of tread depth, but the tires are old and at a certain point if there is cracking, I just replace them all - lives are far more important than money to me (typically $1200). Have your dealership check manufacturing date. If they are original, have them inspect for cracking....you might be able to get them to put new rubber on for you.

Also a lot of dealerships are really backed up with service as they are "catching up" from the Covid shut down. It is not uncommon. A good TTUE is a rare find....be patient.....and, good luck! TTUEs are great and are holding/increasing in value quite nicely.
Hey thanks so much for your response!
I ended up pulling the trigger and I couldn't be happier with the vehicle. I've spent the last two days in and around it and it's just in such great condition. Just a few manageable spots of rust which I'm taking care of but other than that it's practically brand new! Can't believe it has 83k miles on it as under the hood is spotless and even the wheels look brand new. I'll check the manufacturing date of the tires just to see if they are from 2014 or not. I'm taking it in for servicing next week and will be anxious to see what they think of my rust prevention job!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been searching FJ cruisers for a while now and right in my backyard is the rarest of them all.

2014 Ultimate Edition Trail Team Series Heritage Blue - 82500 miles - Asking $33,000!
EDIT: I put a downpayment on it to hold it because it has so much interest. BUT the dealership hasn't even serviced it upon delivery 2 weeks ago and claim they can't service it until end of the month or later due to being so busy.
I'm not comfortable at all paying upwards of 35k for this car that hasn't even been looked at or inspected. Although it is a one owner, looks immaculate (tires look brand new), and is the TTUE..I"m not crazy right?
I can't take it to a local mechanic for pre-purchase inspection because well, I"d have to buy it to get it off the lot. So I'm kinda stuck. I mean, the dealer is reputable but I know they just want me to sign the dotted line and get their money in the end. Should I just keep the deposit and let them hold it until it's serviced, then take it to a mechanic to get a PPI? I don't know anyone who can come check it out on the lot.
Buy it! I have the same with more miles, I have been offered 44K for mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Buy it! I have the same with more miles, I have been offered 44K for mine.
I bought it a few days ago and have spend everyday since in and around the car. It's in remarkable condition! I'm doing some minor rust treatment to it and preparing to apply an undercoating tomorrow. Once I get seat covers and a few more protective measures in place I"ll be ready to hit the trails!
And yea, this model the one we have, is something special isnt it? $44k is wild. You must have a near perfect condition model too.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Now why do you say it's the rarest? How many did they make? 2500? Wouldn't the 2010 sandstorm be the rarest? They made the fewest of any trail teams at only 1500.

·
Registered
72 Posts
3 years ago I paid $36k for a 2014 TTUE with 35,000 miles. I’m 71 years old and I can honestly say that it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I now have just over 86,000 miles on it without a bit of problems. I still have the same BFG KO2’s on it. It still turns heads as I drive by.

TMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
How much did you pay for the 2010? It's the rarest of all the tt. Only 1500.
I paid $24k for my 2010TT with 57k miles.
It spent its first 6 of the 7 years before I purchased it in Orlando FL and was essentially rust free.
NDH, but a dent was repaired by the dealership in the DS suicide door.
The roof rack air dam & lights were installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first post, duplicated below with some added, sorry. I can't find the photo the morning after the night we brought it home. About a genuine foot of snow! I thought FJ was less than happy with me that morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just for comparison, I { at 73 } have a Magma 2014 FJ with the instrument cluster and less than 32K miles, always garaged, dealer serviced, driven off-road maybe 200 yards, no pets, no smoking, northwest Oregon meaning no salt, no fish, that I was thinking of selling for about $35K, after inspection at a Toyota dealer at my expense. {Read earlier, "thinking"} I need a new pickup, my Tundra is turning 23.

While the TTUE has some major extras, is it really worth the $ non-inspected? Do you need UE? There are other models out there -- somewhere. Also, did the owner do the "monthly" transmission drive? At 82K and no regular low 4, better look out. Once, the police were notified that my "suspicious" vehicle was driving around the neighborhood at about 5 mph.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Good to know! specially since its in DFW! I'm thinking of listing mine, 2007 Voodoo with crap ton-a mods and only <40k miles.

@wctc1 lol yeah I bought a New 2018 RAM 2500 w/Cummins 6.5L, thought I'd give the FJ to my son but he wants a Toyota Type 86.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I paid $24k for my 2010TT with 57k miles.
I paid $25K for my 2010TT with 57K miles. Bought it on Memorial Day 2013. I believe the miles were mostly highway miles because there's no signs anywhere of off-roading. The clock now reads 117,508 miles and runs like a champ.

Reactions: Uncharted

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure how dealers work in the USA but in Canada if they do not inspect and put a sticker on it then it would be sold "as is" and usually at close to wholesale price. That is how I scored a crazy low price on my 13 TT last year as you are encouraged to take it to your mechanic before you sign on the dotted line. The dealer i bought mine from had no idea what they had and just wanted to turn their inventory; maybe suggesting this might get them off their butts to get it ready for sale. On another note it seems strange that after putting a deposit down that they would not let you take it to your guy to be checked out. Hope you are able to work out a suitable arrangement as the TTUE is a great colour and trim level FJC!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Not sure how dealers work in the USA but in Canada if they do not inspect and put a sticker on it then it would be sold "as is" and usually at close to wholesale price. That is how I scored a crazy low price on my 13 TT last year as you are encouraged to take it to your mechanic before you sign on the dotted line. The dealer i bought mine from had no idea what they had and just wanted to turn their inventory; maybe suggesting this might get them off their butts to get it ready for sale. On another note it seems strange that after putting a deposit down that they would not let you take it to your guy to be checked out. Hope you are able to work out a suitable arrangement as the TTUE is a great colour and trim level FJC!
Hey! Yea everything got sorted out and they had indeed gone through the car and inspected it before putting it on the lot.
I've spent the past few days going over and treating small rust spots underneath and honestly beside a little surface rust the car looks pretty flawless!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve read all the post on this string and the one thing that keeps surfacing is how much all the FJ owners really appreciate these vehicles. I researched for 2+ years before pulling the trigger on a 2014 TTUE with 69,400 miles. Bought it from the original owner who specifically put 5 BFG KO2’s on it for me the day before the transaction. I previously owned a 1997 40th Anniversary edition 80 series Landcruiser, it was diff locked, and truly a beast. The difference here is this FJ has much more driver space and is just overall much more comfortable from all aspects! Both have tremendous off-road capabilities but the FJ is truly just far and away more desirable “to me” from a driver perspective. I wanted the TTUE because it was the last year of all FJ’s. There is definitely pros and cons so to each his own but I believe the money you spent will be forgotten long before the smile leaves your face with what you purchased. Any FJ from my experience would be appreciated. BTW I should have kept the 80 series Landcruiser, they are awesome as well and appreciating nicely from what I see. Sorry, I got soooo long winded but I’m thrilled to be a fellow FJ owner!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I’ve read all the post on this string and the one thing that keeps surfacing is how much all the FJ owners really appreciate these vehicles. I researched for 2+ years before pulling the trigger on a 2014 TTUE with 69,400 miles. Bought it from the original owner who specifically put 5 BFG KO2’s on it for me the day before the transaction. I previously owned a 1997 40th Anniversary edition 80 series Landcruiser, it was diff locked, and truly a beast. The difference here is this FJ has much more driver space and is just overall much more comfortable from all aspects! Both have tremendous off-road capabilities but the FJ is truly just far and away more desirable “to me” from a driver perspective. I wanted the TTUE because it was the last year of all FJ’s. There is definitely pros and cons so to each his own but I believe the money you spent will be forgotten long before the smile leaves your face with what you purchased. Any FJ from my experience would be appreciated. BTW I should have kept the 80 series Landcruiser, they are awesome as well and appreciating nicely from what I see. Sorry, I got soooo long winded but I’m thrilled to be a fellow FJ owner!!!
Thanks! Sounds like you got a great deal there and welcome to the group from another new guy! I couldn't afford 2 years to dwell on the purchase but I knew within a day that I wanted an FJ and lo and behold a 2014 TTUE popped up for sale within 40 min of my house...and..she..is..stunning. I mean, I've already spent 3 days underneath clearing out any surface rust and priming it for the winter. I read the whole manual already. Just waiting on seat covers to arrive and a possibly a roof tent so I can start overlanding ASAP!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks! Sounds like you got a great deal there and welcome to the group from another new guy! I couldn't afford 2 years to dwell on the purchase but I knew within a day that I wanted an FJ and lo and behold a 2014 TTUE popped up for sale within 40 min of my house...and..she..is..stunning. I mean, I've already spent 3 days underneath clearing out any surface rust and priming it for the winter. I read the whole manual already. Just waiting on seat covers to arrive and a possibly a roof tent so I can start overlanding ASAP!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts